Wall hangers

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
Anyone successfully hanging their ebike from either a wall or ceiling mounted hanger? Although I’m not so concerned about the bracket fixing I am worried what the extra weight might do to the alloy wheels of my 2019 Levo. I’ve seen wheels buckle as a result of hanging regular bikes which weigh a fair amount less.

MattyB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 11, 2018
Herts, UK
As long as the rear wheel is still on the ground bearing weight I can’t see any problem occurring - all my (admittedly analog) bikes are stored this way with no issues.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
As long as the rear wheel is still on the ground bearing weight I can’t see any problem occurring - all my (admittedly analog) bikes are stored this way with no issues.

It wouldn't be. That defeats the purpose of a wall hanger ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I’ve seen wheels buckle as a result of hanging regular bikes which weigh a fair amount less.

eh?

Find a better wheelbuilder. A wheel that can't handle a 50lb bike hanging from it isn't going to handle the forces a decent level rider dishes out mountainbiking.

I've been hanging DH bikes from their front wheels for almost 3 decades and never ever had a problem.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
eh?

Find a better wheelbuilder. A wheel that can't handle a 50lb bike hanging from it isn't going to handle the forces a decent level rider dishes out mountainbiking.

I've been hanging DH bikes from their front wheels for almost 3 decades and never ever had a problem.

Have you seen the way a bike hangs on the wheel whilst on a hanger? It doesn't sit on the axle so the comparison is moot ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
How many wheels have you built?
Do you have a vague understanding of how a well built wheel holds it's shape?

The only thing that seems moot here is your experience/understanding of a bicycle wheel.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
How many wheels have you built?
Do you have a vague understanding of how a well built wheel holds it's shape?

The only thing that seems moot here is your experience/understanding of a bicycle wheel.

Maybe dial down the caffeine a little Gary and lose the aggression? This is supposed to be a place for fellow enthusiasts.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
"Maybe" don't be so quick to tell someone sharing their experience from both building wheels and hanging heavy bikes by said wheels their experience is "moot". ;)
There's is no aggression or caffiene involved. Simply bewilderment by your reply and the LMAO smiley.
Sorry if you feel otherwise.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
More helpful reply: (now I've had some cafiene)
FWIW. As background I worked as a professional bike shop mechanic/workshop manager for many years and have built and trued 1000s of wheels. The cellar of one shop I worked at always had a minmum of 150 bikes hanging from one wheel by hooks from the ceiling rafters ie. nothing else supporting them. Many of these bikes were very cheap very heavy steel BSOs with cheap weak alu rimmed wheels. in the 10 years I was around that shop I did not experience one single rim damaged by being hung in this way. your Levo will have far stronger higher quality better (although still machine) built rims.
If a wheel was built so badly that hanging it by the rim and attaching a 50lb weight by either side of it's axle was enough to permanently alter the shape of said wheel it would not be safe for a 200lb rider to use on the road, nevermind off road where the forces acting upon wheels can be far greater.

I'd be genuinely interested to hear of the experience you mention seeing in your first post.

Benson

Sep 19, 2018
Hampshire UK
"Maybe" don't be so quick to tell someone sharing their experience from both building wheels and hanging heavy bikes by said wheels their experience is "moot". ;)
There's is no aggression or caffiene involved. Simply bewilderment by your reply and the LMAO smiley.
Sorry if you feel otherwise.
Ok Gary, thanks for your input.

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
well maybe but if you hang the e bike from its front wheel isnt the force placed on the steerer tube against its design, i dont know how the steerers are actually fixed to the crown but I can tell you the crappy suntour fork steerer that was fitted to my wifes spesh hardtail came away from the crown in my hand

ccrdave

Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 16, 2018
uk
4381717619_f25bd52f88.jpg

not my one but this is what happened

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Goan just take a minute and use common sense to think about what actually happened, eh?

FYI Steerers are general pressed into crowns at factory.

Krisj

Patreon
May 1, 2018
Sheffield
By the look of the steerer that has had a serious impact to put a bend in it like that probably ripped the head tube off too.
Like Gary said it should be fine
Bikes take a hell of a beating on the trail surely hanging it up will not cause any damage to any part of it.
You could also put a extra support at the back wheel in the form of a shelf to add extra support if your hanging it up with the front wheel. Personally don’t think it needs it.

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
Get some unistrut, attach to wall at suitable wooden joist behind plasterboard. Get some unistrut shelf brackets and cut 2 pieces of unistrut about a foot long. Attach the bracket to wall mounts with the bolts, wrap the foot long pieces in foam and hang the bike with a piece through the frame and a piece through the wheel. I have stored my bikes like this for years with no issues. I’d upload pictures if I knew how.

1981Miked

Jun 14, 2020
Dundee
07653046-A8EE-4115-B21D-1CBC5D89E407.jpeg
Here is my wife’s bike hanging on the unistrut bracket. Ebike is chained up to the ground anchor so just sits on the floor.

Pedro Del Mar

May 29, 2020
Lancashire, UK
Looks good pal. Yeah I’ve been thinking if I hang it the weight of the chain to the ground anchor won’t do it any good as it’s a bloody heavy chain so might leave it on the floor after all!

NULevo

Nov 7, 2019
Nottingham
Just seen this, I'm using a Steadyrack MTB - its sturdy and well made, fits the 2.6 butchers on the Levo fine, looks like it could take a 2.8.

Had somes doubts about the expense compared to hooks, but this this is as solid as a rock and built to last.

I keep the bike in the shed and the battery in the house, so all I do is swivel the bike towards the wall and out at the bottom. Wedge it with my foot and slide the battery in/out.

Saves a lot of space too, before I had to keep the work stand to hook up the bike to get the battery in and out. One of the best things I've bought for the bike so far.

Jamy

Sep 24, 2019
rotherham
i use this, granted not hung but saves a lot of space

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Wow. I think we should award this Honorary Wall Hangership. One slight concern, what happens if you have a slow puncture resulting in a flat?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles