US "mode" in the EU

Luke0770

Sep 8, 2019
Maidenhead
Hi,
Sorry for another derestricting post.....
I'm more concerned about my warranty to be honest. I think the small boost to the 20mph assistant would be more then enough for what I want.

If I run my EU E8000 in US mode to get assistance to 20mph, will this void my warranty?

As shimano sells the same bike/motor in the US with that 20mph. So the motor is capable and designed for it. Also it's not illegal to run a faster ebike in the uk, if done in the right place.

Also, if I was to run it in US mode then change it back to EU mode. Can a dealer or shimano tell that it had previously run in US mode?

Thanks
Luke

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
I need my’n put in US mode, is this a simple process if dealer is able to connect it? They just moved the sensors so it goes faster but then speedo isn’t accurate so I don’t really care for doing it this way..

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Hi,
Sorry for another derestricting post.....
I'm more concerned about my warranty to be honest. I think the small boost to the 20mph assistant would be more then enough for what I want.

If I run my EU E8000 in US mode to get assistance to 20mph, will this void my warranty?

As shimano sells the same bike/motor in the US with that 20mph. So the motor is capable and designed for it. Also it's not illegal to run a faster ebike in the uk, if done in the right place.

Also, if I was to run it in US mode then change it back to EU mode. Can a dealer or shimano tell that it had previously run in US mode?

Thanks
Luke

I would argue the case if it was denied because of a destination change. It would be like Ford denying warranty on my Mustang because I legally did 130 kph in one state but I lived in a state that only had a 110 kph speed limit!

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
Who moved what sensors to make it go faster?
And what is my'n?

my'n=dealer that sold me the bike. They are a Yamaha dealer so ebikes are new to them, I wanted to reset it properly, said they ordered what's needed to update, but instead just moved the sensor attached to the spoke & said it will assist to 50km/h now which is not what I wanted.

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
my'n=dealer that sold me the bike. They are a Yamaha dealer so ebikes are new to them, I wanted to reset it properly, said they ordered what's needed to update, but instead just moved the sensor attached to the spoke & said it will assist to 50km/h now which is not what I wanted.

Can't see how moving the spoke magnet will give you 50 kph.

my'n = mine?

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The bad ass box works this way, it covers the speed sensor and you install their magnet, and it basically reads the sensor every other revolution.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
You're allowed to visit US on vacation and bring your bike.
Then you can change the region setting in US and change it back when you arrive home.
If the UK dealer discovers this has happened...then you've just been to US on a bike trip.
I wouldn't worry about it.

Si1

Jun 6, 2019
OX18
I would say it comes down to how the EU/US mode was changed rather than whether it was changed!
I guess Shimano may argue that an unauthorised application was used to reprogram the motor and therefore void the warranty. (If that's how your planning to do it)
However, that's presuming there is a way they can tell this!

Moving a spoke sensor won't make any difference, as no matter where it is, it will still only count one revolution each time it passes! I don't believe moving the sensor to the crank arm works either as I think the Shimano system can tell this (ie Wheel rotation is consistently matching Crank rotation) and brings up an error.

Channing

Oct 7, 2019
Kelowna, Canada
Can't see how moving the spoke magnet will give you 50 kph.

my'n = mine?

Well I guess the idea is that it gives the computer a false speed reading. I'm brand new to these bikes & can't try my bike for another week when I get home to see if this actually works but according to the shop that sold it to me it does, but like I said they are new to these bikes & actually here in Canada they are just starting to get popular.

Yes my'n=mine, sorry for my bad grammer

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia
Well I guess the idea is that it gives the computer a false speed reading. I'm brand new to these bikes & can't try my bike for another week when I get home to see if this actually works but according to the shop that sold it to me it does, but like I said they are new to these bikes & actually here in Canada they are just starting to get popular.

Normally the spoke magnet has to be in a fairly precise spot to pick up the speed or the computer will throw up an error, something along the lines of "wheel speed not detected" and you loose all assistance.

njn

Founding Member
Mar 14, 2018
USA
isn't canada in the north american market with the 20mph limit?

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA

Makes no difference where the magnet is. It's counting RPMs of the wheel and then using the programmed in wheel diameter/circumference to calculate speed.

KenX

E*POWAH Master
Jul 21, 2019
Briançon, France
I don't believe moving the sensor to the crank arm works either as I think the Shimano system can tell this (ie Wheel rotation is consistently matching Crank rotation) and brings up an error.

It's certainly (or was) the case with Bosch, I changed the cassette on LynnX's 2015 Bosch bike and it started randomly going in to limp mode, turned out one of the new ratios matched 1:1 crank/rear wheel speed and there's software in the motor to stop people kidding the computer by putting the magnet on the crank............Had to drop a tooth on the front sprocket to shift everything around to get over it!
Got a feeling this was only for that model year firmware though

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles