Sticky E8000 Mode Switch

andy6781

May 31, 2019
Glasgow
Is anyone having issues with their mode switch? Mine has started sticking and not returning. It’s a bit better moving up the modes than it is down. Any idea what sort of maintenance should be done to keep it switching smoothly?

Chester

Apr 20, 2018
London
Is anyone having issues with their mode switch? Mine has started sticking and not returning. It’s a bit better moving up the modes than it is down. Any idea what sort of maintenance should be done to keep it switching smoothly?
Just spray some gt85 into it and normal service will return. I think they all play up after getting wet once the greace washes out inside. The electrics are sealed in resin so dont worry. I got rid of mine in the end and put the 3 button 6000 unit on.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Yes, mine had grit and sh*t in it, and was slightly bent from a crash, so I ended up swapping it for the E7000. Takes up less bar space, easier and more intuitive to use, lighter, cheaper, etc...

I was able to clean out the old E8000 switch which I'll keep as a spare.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
The Shimano DI2 style switches, of which the E8000 controller is one, are known for being susceptible to grit getting in the movements, you can usually clean it out carefully but the E7000 switch is a better all round option

Tom79e

Aug 9, 2021
Sydney
Is it just a easy swap over to put a E7000 mode switch on if the original one stops working as mine won't select modes anymore

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles