Upgrade Cube Reaction Hybrid Pro 625 for London commute 18km??️

PablitoDeRoma

Nov 14, 2020
London
I decided to make some changes as I mainly use the bike for London commuting and rarely for going on "hard to me" trails.
20201114_221034.jpg

This is how the bike looks like. I put a side the Smart Sam's for when I want to go out and get the bike dirty on the trails.
I know have on Marathon E-plus because of their punture protection, road grip and rolling resistance (even if not the best) and the reflective tape , chose the biggest size of course as it would look funny with thinner tyres. The size is 55-622 28-2.15
I got a stand for commodity and for those landscapes and Bridge picture? as well.

The problem came today when I was trying to fit a 27.5 rack to a 29" bike... Don't get me wrong, I ordered the correct one. Bikester.com made a mistake, on their title it says "rack for 29 inches". On the description it said good for 27.5 wheel.
20201115_011454.jpg

I realised this fact that it mentions 'compatible with 27.5" bikes' today after I forced the rack by bending the metal parts and by cutting some adapters that came with and manage to fit the rack to the bike. Why have I damage the rack to fit it?
20201114_214731.jpg

Yes! Because the rack label actually says, good for 29" wheel.

I'm gonna complain to them and eventually get a refund and get the the right rack instead.

What are your thoughts?
I'm in the right side, correct? I mean they advertise it wrongly sending a wrong product with the right label, seriously...

I would like to change the handle bar too. Despite being very helpful having a wide bar on the trails, on the road I can't squeeze in tighter spaces like cars.
I'm thinking on a 600-650mm flat bar.
Your thoughts?

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to read from you.
You all, have an amazing day!

Oct 23, 2020
Sussex UK
I decided to make some changes as I mainly use the bike for London commuting and rarely for going on "hard to me" trails.
View attachment 44467
This is how the bike looks like. I put a side the Smart Sam's for when I want to go out and get the bike dirty on the trails.
I know have on Marathon E-plus because of their punture protection, road grip and rolling resistance (even if not the best) and the reflective tape , chose the biggest size of course as it would look funny with thinner tyres. The size is 55-622 28-2.15
I got a stand for commodity and for those landscapes and Bridge picture? as well.

The problem came today when I was trying to fit a 27.5 rack to a 29" bike... Don't get me wrong, I ordered the correct one. Bikester.com made a mistake, on their title it says "rack for 29 inches". On the description it said good for 27.5 wheel.
View attachment 44468

I realised this fact that it mentions 'compatible with 27.5" bikes' today after I forced the rack by bending the metal parts and by cutting some adapters that came with and manage to fit the rack to the bike. Why have I damage the rack to fit it?
View attachment 44469
Yes! Because the rack label actually says, good for 29" wheel.

I'm gonna complain to them and eventually get a refund and get the the right rack instead.

What are your thoughts?
I'm in the right side, correct? I mean they advertise it wrongly sending a wrong product with the right label, seriously...

I would like to change the handle bar too. Despite being very helpful having a wide bar on the trails, on the road I can't squeeze in tighter spaces like cars.
I'm thinking on a 600-650mm flat bar.
Your thoughts?

Thanks for reading. Looking forward to read from you.
You all, have an amazing day!
Mmm, my rack was cheaper but it didn't come with the spring loaded thingy...

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I think that's the most I've ever seen tags used in a thread ! Excellent work.

This is what I think @Beekeeper would really like to do with one of his.

Did the rack not fit because of the size of the wheels ? or because of the mudguards ?

You should know by now that anything written by a man that says 29" and black , probably means it's much smaller.

PablitoDeRoma

Nov 14, 2020
London
Mmm, my rack was cheaper but it didn't come with the spring loaded thingy...

Hey Pete, do you mind measuring the length of the tubes ?
I was looking for this information online but I could only find the weight on cube website.
I'm pretty sure yours is longer than mine, I'm just wondering by how much. If you could measure the length of the 3 bars that make the triangle, I could use those numbers when I complain to bikester.com.

Thank you

PablitoDeRoma

Nov 14, 2020
London
I think that's the most I've ever seen tags used in a thread ! Excellent work.

This is what I think @Beekeeper would really like to do with one of his.

Did the rack not fit because of the size of the wheels ? or because of the mudguards ?

You should know by now that anything written by a man that says 29" and black , probably means it's much smaller.
I put lots of tags because I want people attention and help :D
The rack has a long mounting bit that it's suppose to go under the mudguard. This part once screwed to one of the sides was leaving a big gap on the other side instead of being parallel to mudguard, meaning the curve of that metal was smaller than a 29 inch mudguard. because of this I decided to bend that part so that the angle of the curve would be parallel.
Once this was done the tyre had a equal distance clearance and was able to install the rack by not putting one of the adapter that it's supposed to go between the rack and mudguard, the second adapter ( the rear ) I had cut it in half to make sure the clearance was equal everywhere.

Hope I've been clear will post some pictures eventually.

Thanks

Oct 23, 2020
Sussex UK
Hi, here are measurements of the rack you were asking for:

the rear sloping leg is 39cm
the vertical leg is 34cm
the horizontal bar is 20cm between the two legs
this is measured from the centre of the fixing point on the frame to the point where the legs joins the lower horizontal bar

PablitoDeRoma

Nov 14, 2020
London
I'm back! It ook the mesuraments and the look the same.
20201120_075608.jpg
20201120_075636.jpg
20201120_075650.jpg

Maybe the 2 horizontal bar have a bigger gap. Can you check, mine as you can see it's about 4cm ? Also, did you have problems with the bar that goes under the mudguard? I had to bend mine as the curve angle was not open enough to leave clearance, the mudguard would touch the tyre at the back otherwise .
Bikester.com finally got back to me, hopefully we will come to an agreement. ?

Have a look how much I had to cut of from the adapters.
Here I had to cut the adapter up to where the A is.
20201116_161201_1.jpg

Here i didn't put the adapter at all.
20201116_161217_1.jpg

Oct 23, 2020
Sussex UK
I'm back! It ook the mesuraments and the look the same. View attachment 45288 View attachment 45289 View attachment 45290
Maybe the 2 horizontal bar have a bigger gap. Can you check, mine as you can see it's about 4cm ? Also, did you have problems with the bar that goes under the mudguard? I had to bend mine as the curve angle was not open enough to leave clearance, the mudguard would touch the tyre at the back otherwise .

View attachment 45294

View attachment 45295
I think it's basically the same rack as mine. If you look at my photos my rack mudguard probably sit closer to the tyre than yours. I'm not using the spacer at the front of the rack and had to cut down the rear one a fair bit. The metal brace under the mudguard from the rack to the rear stay bridge was the right curve on mine so not sure what's going on with yours there. The curve obviously needs to be the same as the mudguard.

Please Help

Oct 21, 2023
Sweden
I'm back! It ook the mesuraments and the look the same. View attachment 45288 View attachment 45289 View attachment 45290

View attachment 45294

View attachment 45295
Sir please help. Is cutting the plastic adapter at the back of the rack necessary? What if you don't put the adapter on?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles