Tyres not suitable for emtb's

oscarbravo

Nov 3, 2023
Sheffield
I'm looking at some conti 29 x 2.6 cross kings for my cube e-hardtail which has 30mm id rims tubeless ready, but I notice that some of the ads for certain tyres say not suitable for e bikes. What's the opinion on this, do people take any notice of this spec. I'm only 160 lbs so not a heavyweight.

20231019_133404.jpg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
"Not suitable for ebikes"! :unsure:
It can't be a weight thing because I have never seen a weight limit on a tyre. Maybe it's the torque exceeding what the tyre wall can transmit? But again, some very strong guys can put out some very high levels of torque on an unassisted bike. My best guess is that the manufacturers are concerned about tread wear and are getting in some disclaimers in advance.

irie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
May 2, 2022
Chichester, W.Sussex, UK
Can't see anything negative here (all appear to be E25 rated).

" Tires with an E25 or E50 icon on the sidewall are designed to withstand the additional weight and forces of modern e-bikes. E25 tires are constructed with additional material to not only strengthen the tire and prevent punctures, but also provide additional support throughout the tire. "

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I used to buy those Conti tyres with the black chilli compound and the ProTection sidewalls for my mtb. That was before I even knew that emtbs existed.

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
at least on the website Germany there is no Cross King 29“ x 2,6“ (65/622). For the Cross King ShieldWall there is one. I don‘t care if e-bike - ready what may be important if you have a e50 bike and legal need.

You may check on the Cube website for your bike model what tyres come with the different sub-models. That gives somewhat an indication on tire version from that you can start finding optional tires, e.g. same stable side wall:

For my Stereo Hybrid 140 TM there would be the range of Front/Rear:
TM

Maxxis Assegai, MaxxGrip/EXO+, Tubeless Ready, 2.5 WT
Maxxis Minion DHR II, MaxxGrip/DoubleDown, Tubeless Ready, 2.4 WT [it was worn out now and I replaced it by MaxxTerra for better rolling]

ActionTeam
Schwalbe Magic Mary | Super Trail | Addix Soft | Kevlar | 2.4 /
Schwalbe Big Betty | Super Gravity | Addix Soft | Kevlar | 2.4

SLT
Schwalbe Magic Mary, Super Trail, Addix Soft, Kevlar, 2.4
Schwalbe Big Betty, Super Trail, Addix Soft, Kevlar, 2.4

Race
Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Addix Soft, Super Trail, Tubeless Easy, 2.6
Schwalbe Hans Dampf, Addix Speedgrip, Super Trail, Tubeless Easy, 2.6

darwink1

Dec 19, 2022
Ontario, Canada
I ride maxxis tires usually in a dh casing, I do run double down up front if I have to. The tough casings are the most important part and cushcore f/r helps a whole lot too.

Not one flat this season and its rocky af where I ride.

D

Sherman

May 9, 2018
3rd Rock
I believe tires installed in s-pedelecs (assist up to 45km/h) must have some kind of certification. Maybe that's the reason for ebike warning?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles