Levo Gen 2 Tyre Pressures ?

jjb38

Jan 20, 2021
Halifax
Hi All,
Newbie question, can somebody off advise as to what tyre pressures i should be running (ball park figure) i have 2020 Levo fitted with 29 x2.6 Tyres, Butcher blck dmnd on the rear and Butcher grid at thge front.
My pedalling can be described as "sedate" :) but i have the feeling that the front is trying to wash out, the rear seems skittish as well, currently running 38psi front and rear, 107Kg rider (238 Lbs).
Cheers

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
I am 90 kgs with gesr always run 34 rear and 31 front works for me

I would say for the weight you listed your pressures are about right or drop the front a little bit

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Give 20psi front and 24psi rear a go. Yes I know it's a big drop, but you are way too high.
Once you have given it a good go, experiment by going up or down 2psi to see the effects and to find out what works for you.

Get yourself a Topeak D2 Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge, like this one.

If you have spent tie establishing what works for you, it can be replicated every time you ride. If you carry a mini-pump then you can tune the pressures up or down during your ride.

I know that many members on here recommend theD2.

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Give 20psi front and 24psi rear a go. Yes I know it's a big drop, but you are way too high.
Once you have given it a good go, experiment by going up or down 2psi to see the effects and to find out what works for you.

Get yourself a Topeak D2 Digital Tyre Pressure Gauge, like this one.

If you have spent tie establishing what works for you, it can be replicated every time you ride. If you carry a mini-pump then you can tune the pressures up or down during your ride.

I know that many members on here recommend theD2.

jjb38

Jan 20, 2021
Halifax
Hi All,
Thought i had to drop the pressures, was a bit worried about running to low and getting pinch punctures, im out again on Sunday so will drop them accordingly !

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi All,
Thought i had to drop the pressures, was a bit worried about running to low and getting pinch punctures, im out again on Sunday so will drop them accordingly !
Ah, I'm assuming from your mention of pinch punctures that you are running tubes. Add 2psi front and rear.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@chrismechmaster I have genuinely lost count of the number of riders I have met on the trail that have pressures that are way too high. I met one guy who had over 50psi in each tyre and was complaining about the rough ride. He would not believe me that 25-30 psi would be better. I promised him that if he didn't like it I would pump his tyres up for him again. He later waited for me to tell me how thankful he was. He was bubbling with it! I told him to experiment from there because at his weight he could go lower.

I use 17f/20r on the trails unless I'm going somewhere rocky. I ride mostly in the forest with some jumping and rocks. I ride tubeless and I have a 29x2.5 WTB Vigilante front and a 29x2.5 Maxxis HRII on the rear. Both are triple compound tyres and come with an alphabet each. I weigh 92kg all up and I took into account @jjb38 's weight for the pressures I recommended.

If you have lightweight tyres then add a few psi. I go off what it feels like and how it performs then record the pressure.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Yes, tubes at the moment, contemplating going tubeless though.

Thanks for the advice !
There is loads of advice on YouTube (and here). Going tubeless is a bit harder than an expert makes it look, but a lot easier than a beginner makes it look. You will go from beginner to blasé in three or four tyres.

jjb38

Jan 20, 2021
Halifax
There is loads of advice on YiuTube. But going tubeless is a bit harder than an expert makes it look, but a lot easier than a beginner makes it look. You will go from beginner to blasé in three or four tyres.

Beginner to Blase` :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, like that, already watched a few videos, i like to do my research !!(y)

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
@steve_sordy on the standard Specialized butchers tubeless at 90 kgs all in , light trails single track and fire roads etc NO rocks what would you recommend front and rear as a starting point for me ???

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Beginner to Blase` :ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:, like that, already watched a few videos, i like to do my research !!(y)
Do yourself a big favour, get yourself a blaster, such as an Airshot tubeless tyre inflator. There are other types, I can recommend this one, not tried the others though.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
@steve_sordy on the standard Specialized butchers tubeless at 90 kgs all in , light trails single track and fire roads etc NO rocks what would you recommend front and rear as a starting point for me ???
if they are 29x2.6, I would go with 18f/21r. But instead of going there in one go, why not halve the gap and then halve again between mine and yours. I session a section of trail to get a fast idea, but I usually get there pretty quickly. Your riding style is likely to be different to mine and I can't be too prescriptive. Look after yourself. :) Consider the front and rear separately once you get close to what feels good.

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
23 front 25 rear, tubeless and a flyweight at 63 kg. Been as low as 20 (forgot to check before the ride) with no adverse effects other than a bit more work to climb the hills. I do bump it to 30 f/r when I go to the BMX bike park for jumps.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Are the butchers tubeless ready? i know the wheels are !

I don't think anyone sells tires that aren't tubeless ready; certainly not the major brands. I've successfully set up non-tubeless ready wheels without issue as well (Gorilla tape makes it super easy but it's heavy). I suspect at one point there was some problem with this but it's pretty dang easy nowadays.

For the record, 185lbs/84kgs, 21 front and rear to keep things simple...I tried 18 and didn't like it. I think 25+ is too high unless you have a specific reason. The problem for me is coming from the old days of running Panaracer 1.8 Smokes with 45PSI...today's low pressures are shocking, but they work.

Bigtuna00

Nov 27, 2019
CA
Do you do jumps and drops? I only do the small stuff, but watching slo mo videos of bikes landing drops makes me a bit nervous about going down to 20.
Not really. I'm trying to practice more but the trails that I have access to don't really have either, so I'm just boosting off whatever undulations I can find.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I don't think anyone sells tires that aren't tubeless ready; certainly not the major brands. I've successfully set up non-tubeless ready wheels without issue as well (Gorilla tape makes it super easy but it's heavy). I suspect at one point there was some problem with this but it's pretty dang easy nowadays.
Until late last year, I would have 100% agreed with you. Gorilla tape is cheap, easy to use and looks great! I used it on my last three bikes and I was happy to recommend it to anyone that would listen.

But then I bought a new tyre. The old one would not come off (the adhesive had squeezed out and glued the tyre on). It all went downhill from that point. I entertained this Forum for a week with the problems I had. Do not use Gorilla tape it is the product of Satan!

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
20f/25r on Butcher 2.6/Eliminator 2.6 Blkdmnd with Cushcore in both. I'd weigh 130kg all kitted up. Been as low as 15/18 without issue.

Labrador29

Jun 24, 2019
Marlborough New Zealand
@chrismechmaster I have genuinely lost count of the number of riders I have met on the trail that have pressures that are way too high. I met one guy who had over 50psi in each tyre and was complaining about the rough ride. He would not believe me that 25-30 psi would be better. I promised him that if he didn't like it I would pump his tyres up for him again. He later waited for me to tell me how thankful he was. He was bubbling with it! I told him to experiment from there because at his weight he could go lower.

I use 17f/20r on the trails unless I'm going somewhere rocky. I ride mostly in the forest with some jumping and rocks. I ride tubeless and I have a 29x2.5 WTB Vigilante front and a 29x2.5 Maxxis HRII on the rear. Both are triple compound tyres and come with an alphabet each. I weigh 92kg all up and I took into account @jjb38 's weight for the pressures I recommended.

If you have lightweight tyres then add a few psi. I go off what it feels like and how it performs then record the pressure.
Hi Steve, you seem a very knowledgeable chap and you can save me a lot of trial and error on my tyre pressures on my Giant Trance +1 pro. I have now done just under 7000 km on South Island (NZ) dusty/loose gravel hilly sheep tracks country. I am still on the original front tyre which is a Maxxis Minion DHF Tubeless Ready, Exo 27.5 x 2.60. For some reason, they came out fitted with tubes. Front still has a tube, no punctures.
My rear tyre was a different Maxxis. (I wore two out over the 6900 km ridden to date). LBS didn't have the same tyre in stock, so I was forced to go with a Specialized Butcher Grid, 27.5 x 2.6. I had this fitted as tubeless a week ago. ( 20/02/2021)
I have a riding weight of 96 kg which includes a day backpack.
Bearing in mind I don't do jumps or wheelies at 74 years of age, but still ride faster than my wife likes, what do you reckon is a good tyre pressure as a starting point with the new rear tubeless tyre? I was running 23 psi.
What about the Maxxis which I have been running at 19 PSI.
Your advice would be appreciated.

MBag85

Feb 7, 2021
United Kingdom
Hi All,
Newbie question, can somebody off advise as to what tyre pressures i should be running (ball park figure) i have 2020 Levo fitted with 29 x2.6 Tyres, Butcher blck dmnd on the rear and Butcher grid at thge front.
My pedalling can be described as "sedate" :) but i have the feeling that the front is trying to wash out, the rear seems skittish as well, currently running 38psi front and rear, 107Kg rider (238 Lbs).
Cheers
I'm 240lbs all in and found the Butchers hard work setting the right psi for my weight and ride style. I had 26f 28r before swopping the for DHR combo which I now run 22f 25r.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles