Tyre on back to front

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Steve,
walk away from it. Come back tomorrow. It's just some wasted sealant.
That is exactly what I did. In contrast to previous attempts, the tyre almost fell off and flew back on. It took two goes with the Airshot before the bead properly engaged, but then it was airtight from then on.

As predicted the Shimano brakes were crap from being upside down for nearly a week. So I had that to sort out as well.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
.........So after all the gorilla tape bead removal drama... you forgot to put the tyre valve on... then you forgot to put the sealant on... then now you put the tyre on backwards? Mate, how much of the petrol rag fumes did you inhale?...........................

Obviously far too much for my system to deal with.
It just wasn't my day. :(

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I think you've come to a good conclusion. If anything, I admire your composure in all this. (y)

Your tyre has shoulder treads with a particular direction/orientation which is definitely uni-directional. It would be safe to assume that it would affect cornering. There's also other possible things below the treads that might matter - the weave of the casing for example may have been designed to deform in a specific way... and tyre technology has also evolved with the use of more than one rubber compound (not sure if yours is), both of which may have a bearing on rolling direction.
The wheel/tyre are inanimate objects although I swear they were possessed by Satan at one point! So there is little point in losing my cool, I'd just make more mistakes, or take a hammer to them!

The tyre is what WTB call TriTec, which is a triple compound tyre. I had never considered your point about the tyre carcass construction, good points.

Last edited:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hopefully the tyre saga has now ended! :)

Thank you to everyone that provided suggestions and advice. I was genuinely stuck.
My two threads on the saga seem to have provided plenty of amusement, for which I am happy about. I really do not mind sharing my cock-ups with you all. Hopefully others will learn from my mistakes.

Above all, add Gorilla Tape to the list of products that should never come near a bike. (That looks like an idea for a new thread!) :unsure:

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
With Christmas coming?

giphy.gif

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
My

My undiagnosed OCD would not allow this, I swapped out the tyres on my analogue bike a while ago then just before adding sealant noticed the front was on the wrong way , even though it's hardly ridden the ol brain couldn't handle it....
Allow me to shift your OCD onto the next level... :alien:

Get some fingernail clippers and cut off every single strand of tyre hair sticking out of a brand new tyre. It’ll roll faster on the straights and be grippier around the corners... or will it? ? ?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand

Thank you to everyone that provided suggestions and advice. I was genuinely stuck.
My two threads on the saga seem to have provided plenty of amusement, for which I am happy about. I really do not mind sharing my cock-ups with you all. Hopefully others will learn from my mistakes.

Above all, add Gorilla Tape to the list of products that should never come near a bike. (That looks like an idea for a new thread!) :unsure:
Well, you know what Steve... joking aside... you being game enough to share your cock-ups with us has only my gained my utmost respect.

I was just having a conversation with my daughter about her generation being in a perpetual state of silent crisis - of not being able to measure up to their peers over the internet. The standards are so high... the scope and scale for every conceivable manner of comparison is so great... where everyone else is so much better, so much more popular, and always attaining perfection. No one uploads their mistakes... unless of course it's epic enough to garner praise for themselves even in that. The "real" bits in life are edited out... so we only see what they want us to see. Maybe not so much for us baby-boomers, but for her generation - she says it's debilitating!

Not many are really secure enough in themselves to admit (let alone describe) why and how we sometimes fall flat on our faces (and this we all do).

Yeah mate... of course we'll learn from your mistakes - you bet. Next time I change a tyre, I for one will have more awareness of things I would otherwise take for granted. But more than that... I'll think about how you've made the digital footprint of our forum community a little bit more 'real.' (y)

galaga187

E*POWAH Master
Apr 15, 2018
Wroughton
Steve I once fought to install a Cushcore insert and new tyre I was really pleased I’d lined up the Maxxis logo with the Valve perfectly - just about to put sealant in and noticed tyre back to front. Never again until the next time ?

Akiwi

🐸 Kermit Elite 🐸
Feb 6, 2019
Olching, Germany
Haha. Great thread!
I hsed to be involved in tractor pulling competitions in New Zealand. And one of the tricks on sandy ground was to mount the tyres backwards. As you know, the wishbone pattern of the tyres is to eject mud. However on a sandy loamy ground, there is an advantave to pulling inwards if the tyre starts to slip. Doesn't dig a hole as fast.
Maybe this is the same with mountainbikes. We should change the direction of our tyres depending on the surface we are running on.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles