West yorkshire
Just orderd these sh ting

E118D324-072D-498F-9C08-276DBA66B9D5.png

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
I got these for nowt ..with a bike mag subscription ..3 sets of interchangeable lenses and a nice case to keep everything snug ..
Mind you I paid about the same as Ripping G for a pair of Oakley's for driving / general strutting about and love them ..
20201025_084029.jpg

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Sorry to be the messenger of a little reality to the party but with Sunglasses you often really don't get what you pay for.
For example. Luxottica owns 70%+ of designer sunglasses brands world wide including brands like Oakley and Luxottica'm monopoly does an incredibly good job of keeping product prices to the consumer artificially high.
Their profit margin is absolutely huge.
eg. a £150 pair of Oakleys might be slightly better made but protect your eyes no better than a £15 chinese Oakley copy.

Melon are at least an independent UK rider owned company

here's a short extract from an interview with one of Melon optics founders:
I’ve heard people say that if you aren’t a part of the Luxottica group then you will struggle to make it as a sunglasses company, you guys seem to be the exception to that rule. Are you hoping that Luxottica will eventually add melon to their portfolio?
JAMES: Yep, Luxiottica controls roughly 80% of the sunglasses market (with Safilo, Marchon and Maui Jim taking a big chunk of the remaining brands). It’s crazy how many sunglasses / goggles brands (that I once thought were independent) are actually owned by these huge conglomerates. Of course there are obvious challenges such as manufacturing, pricing and bargaining power that the big guys bring to the table. However, the bigger you get the slower you are. We are creating products and building a brand that we live day in day out – we are our own target market. Few if any of these big brands can say that about their team and therefore are always going to struggle to match the ability we have to really relate to our customers needs. That’s where our advantage lies.
Would we ever sell out to Luxottica? Haha…Everyone has their price, so never say never. But, we’re building a brand with values that we live and breathe everyday. Our focus is to stay true to those values over building a brand for the sole purpose of selling it.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
eg. a £150 pair of Oakleys might be slightly better made but protect your eyes no better than a £15 chinese Oakley copy.
Are they Oakley copies? Can't they be imaginative and call them Ashleys ? or something ? ;)

I never thought I'd read a post where you referred (almost) to Melons so many times and it means something else. Please tell me that as part of their promotion package for cyclists who wear them they give a free t-shirt which says "Melon Rider" ? ......

And if so, can I have one ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
l_wankley.jpg

Don't worry. it's not an unfounded opinion or in any way a jibe at your expense. I have owned 8 pairs. Every single one broke.
The only recommendation they'll ever get from me is for their great, fast and efficient customer service.

The Hodge

Mystic Meg
Subscriber
Sep 9, 2020
North West Northumberland
Fair comment based on your experience..Ive never owned cycling specific glasses ..but the one and only pair I have ..have been nuke-proof and the lens by far and away the best protection my eyes have had ..

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales
its still £120 for a pair of plastic glasses.. ive used dewalt safety glasses, cheap polarised fishing glasses and some that I have had for 20 years now with 3 interchangeable lenses that cost £30..
they dont need to be zeiss lenses, they dont need to have space shuttle tech, you only need to be able to see out of them without distortion and have them supply a decent degree of protection.
I would have bought a pair if they were as reasonably priced as their goggles (I have a pair of those) which definitely feel like they deliver value for money.. something that the Alleycats dont feel like they achieve.
having said that, ill probably break my glasses next week and buy a pair myself because I am a tackle tart ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
its still £120 for a pair of plastic glasses.. ive used dewalt safety glasses, cheap polarised fishing glasses and some that I have had for 20 years now with 3 interchangeable lenses that cost £30..
they dont need to be zeiss lenses, they dont need to have space shuttle tech, you only need to be able to see out of them without distortion and have them supply a decent degree of protection.
You're correct of course.
but...
Those £120 plastic sunglasses are to your dewalt safety glasses what a pair Levis are to a pair £8 ASDA smart price jeans.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles