Levo Gen 2 Turbo Levo Rear wheel axle sheared

richie.spencer1974

Feb 11, 2021
Stourport
Hi all,
My lad has a 2019 Turbo Levo and when we took off the back wheel to check why the chain was slipping, the cassette fell off. Please see attached photos showing the axle housing seems to have sheared. Free hub bearings all fine. This is what I think anyway, but I’m no bike guru! Would love to have your thoughts. Can I buy a replacement housing on It’s own or do I need a whole rear hub? Thanks. Rich

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
What a bout the through axle...what is the state of that? At the very least you need a new axle if you can source one ....its a Formula Hub.
Dont know if you have cleaned it all but there is no sign of any grease on any of those parts. I would guess either the freehub seized on the axle or the axle seized in the hub given the two parts of the axle that have sheared. Where is the threaded section that should be on the end of the axle....is that still in the freehub securing nut?

richie.spencer1974

Feb 11, 2021
Stourport
What a bout the through axle...what is the state of that? At the very least you need a new axle if you can source one ....its a Formula Hub.
Dont know if you have cleaned it all but there is no sign of any grease on any of those parts. I would guess either the freehub seized on the axle or the axle seized in the hub given the two parts of the axle that have sheared. Where is the threaded section that should be on the end of the axle....is that still in the freehub securing nut?

Hi Mikerb, thanks for the reply.
The through axle is fine and came out after a bit of persuasion. Can you just buy the formula hub on its own? Is that the cylindrical part that has sheared? The threaded part is in the through axle.
Cleaned it up, so not greased yet.
Thanks

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I had a brand new Whyte T130C RS where the exact same thing happened after only 158 miles. Warranty claim obvs.
Hub Details: Whyte Cartridge sealed bearing, 12mm X 148mm Boost Through QR Maxle with Micro Engagement 6 Pawl XD Driver Free Hub, 32-Hole.

The rear hub axle had sheared clean through! Only discovered when I removed the rear wheel and the whole cassette fell onto the floor! The QR axle is badly scored where the hub axle sheared.
Why did it fail? Check the dropout alignment (spot on). Check the Maxle diameter, (fine, not tapered). Check whether the cassette was properly secured (yes).

The complete freehub was replaced and all bearings, seals, pawls springs etc. The hub axle is now steel (painted black) instead of aluminium alloy. The Maxle was also replaced and was reset to give the correct clamping force.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
This happened to my 2018 Levo Expert. Specialized had the part in stock. If you're in the US you can shoot me a PM if you can't find one. I ordered 2 just in case. I ended up relacing the wheel with a Hope hub eventually.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Hi Mikerb, thanks for the reply.
The through axle is fine and came out after a bit of persuasion. Can you just buy the formula hub on its own? Is that the cylindrical part that has sheared? The threaded part is in the through axle.
Cleaned it up, so not greased yet.
Thanks
The hub main axle is threaded both ends....standard thread on the non drive side, reverse thread on the drive side ( which is what the silver nut in your photo is supposed to screw onto to secure the freehub.
I would go to your Specialized dealer and see what Spesh are prepared to do. You can get the complete hub ( Formula 148/ boost/6 bolt/HG freehub....check SJS Cycles.com) but that will require a wheel rebuild and if you go that route you would be better getting a better hub... something like a DT Swiss 350. I doubt you will find anywhere that sells just the axle.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I think this is what you are looking for AXL FORMULA SP-2048 REAR HUB AXLE
well found mate...but that is quoted as for the 2020 Levo and looks different to the 2019 set up. It has no threads on the non drive side so is presumably a different design with the axle pushing against the bearing races only from adjustment on the drive side.

This one looks like the one in the 2019 model
Specialized HR thru axle repair kit Boost 148mm, 12mm thru axle - bestbike Andreas Kommer

ps the title of the product is a bit misleading...suggesting it is the thru axle..which it is not! But the axle is defined as being either for a thru axle or a QR which is why that is part of the title!!

richie.spencer1974

Feb 11, 2021
Stourport
Thanks All for your replies. Love this forum.
Jersey, thanks for the offer. I'm in the UK.
Miru, thanks for the link.
Mikerb, Thanks so much for your big input. Your link is exactly like the one we have. And you are totally right, after taking it to a friend who knows about bikes, he's not seen it before. Both ends are threaded and one end has sheared within the end cap.
I'm waiting for the Specialized dealer I bought it off to come back to see what they can do.
The Title is misleading..I've learnt a lot about rear wheels since I posted this! :D
Thanks again.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Now you know what has broken and where to get a replacement if Spesh don't sort it. Now you need to know why it happened.
The axle is supported in the hub with a bearing each side of the hub....that is a strong set up. The extension of the axle on the drive side is also supported on 2 bearings in the freehub. So overall the axle runs on 4 bearings.....the thru axle goes through the axle and is secured in the chainstay drop outs either side. The only way I can see the axle shearing at the point it leaves the hub is if the bike grounds out hard enough to bend the through axle or one of the chainstay pivot bearings has seized. If the LBS are going to deal with it I would expect them to investigate but otherwise I would suggest you change the thru axle, and remove the shock so the movement of the rear triangle can be checked.

richie.spencer1974

Feb 11, 2021
Stourport
Now you know what has broken and where to get a replacement if Spesh don't sort it. Now you need to know why it happened.
The axle is supported in the hub with a bearing each side of the hub....that is a strong set up. The extension of the axle on the drive side is also supported on 2 bearings in the freehub. So overall the axle runs on 4 bearings.....the thru axle goes through the axle and is secured in the chainstay drop outs either side. The only way I can see the axle shearing at the point it leaves the hub is if the bike grounds out hard enough to bend the through axle or one of the chainstay pivot bearings has seized. If the LBS are going to deal with it I would expect them to investigate but otherwise I would suggest you change the thru axle, and remove the shock so the movement of the rear triangle can be checked.
Thanks Mike. I'm intrigued, with many others, why. My lad, who is only small, uses his bike on jumps all the time, so repeated hard grounding is the likely cause, but i would have thought it is built to withstand this.
I'll let you now the outcome. Thanks.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA

I just think it is a poorly designed axle.

IMG_9363.jpg
IMG_9364.jpg
IMG_9368.jpg
IMG_9369.jpg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Thanks Mike. I'm intrigued, with many others, why. My lad, who is only small, uses his bike on jumps all the time, so repeated hard grounding is the likely cause, but i would have thought it is built to withstand this.
I'll let you now the outcome. Thanks.
within reason , yes, but the Levo is not a downhill, freeride or dirt bike. It is classed as All Mountain suitable for what Specialized ( and other brands) describe as Condition 4 terrain/use which includes moderate drops and jumps but nothing more extreme. Of course lots of people do go more extreme but then it is down to expertise in landing smoothly and avoiding casing jumps to avoid damage.

Jersey Skier

May 12, 2019
NJ, USA
within reason , yes, but the Levo is not a downhill, freeride or dirt bike. It is classed as All Mountain suitable for what Specialized ( and other brands) describe as Condition 4 terrain/use which includes moderate drops and jumps but nothing more extreme. Of course lots of people do go more extreme but then it is down to expertise in landing smoothly and avoiding casing jumps to avoid damage.

My bike rarely leaves the ground and my axle broke in less than 500 miles.

Joop E-Bike

Mar 2, 2020
Spain
Same thing happened to me this week.
The strange thing is mine is 140 mm long. I found one on Amazon saying it’s 142 mm, but when I when it arrived it was 135 mm. The bike shop is looking for this part as well.

15E7642D-8761-43F5-9499-BAB51BCDE418.jpeg

7F6D7907-B8A1-47BD-B842-C189AEE152E9.jpeg

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Same thing happened to me this week.
The strange thing is mine is 140 mm long. I found one on Amazon saying it’s 142 mm, but when I when it arrived it was 135 mm. The bike shop is looking for this part as well.

View attachment 61578

View attachment 61579
try Bestbike............ see links above .....I would guess the one you got is for a non boost formula hub.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Trying to determine the reason for these breakages and considering the point at which the axle shears, it would appear that the axle was not being equally supported on all 4 bearings. That could be due to worn freehub bearings or the chainstays on either side of the hub not moving as one unit. That in turn could be caused by a loose or incorrectly torqued thru axle. That torque is 15nm which is pretty difficult to achieve with a multi tool if for example a rear wheel puncture is fixed out on the trail.

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
Pretty hard to undo with a multi tool as well, but let's not go down the endless tubes no tubes debate again. Oops

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
Pretty hard to undo with a multi tool as well, but let's not go down the endless tubes no tubes debate again. Oops
yes you are right. I carry a single strong allen key on the bike for that , although ( being tubeless) I have never needed it............oops!

Gyro

Jan 5, 2019
Auckland NZ
I've broken 3 axles, there are some contributing factors:
Thin wall thickness.
Always fails at the the shoulder where the bearing seats, not helped by there being a sharp edge where a radius would help as is spreads the load.
The through axle has a waist so the axle is not supported.
That bearing is inline with the largest cog so when on steep climbs it's exposed to a lot of load from the chain.
To their credit Spec replaced the hub with one from a Kenevo, no problems since, apart from being on my 4th motor.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On the other hand, the formula hub is a pretty common one and there must be thousands of Levo owners..me included..who have had no problem with the rear hub/axle/thru axle arrangement let alone broken three! The outer diameter of the axle, determined by the bearings used, is a fairly common standard ( 6903 bearings) and a 12 mm thru axle is also a common standard, meaning the wall thickness of the axle is no different to most others. A fundamental design flaw would have a far greater incidence of failure. For me, the most likely cause of failure is a loose or incorrectly torqued thru axle, assuming all hub/freehub and pivot bearings are good.

davarello

Oct 29, 2018
New Zealand
I've broken two of those on my 2019 Comp, no major jumps or stunts, but a constant 130kg load isn't easy on parts. Having said that, the rest of the Roval wheelset has managed more than 5000k without a single issue

Utah Rider

Jul 4, 2019
Utah
Broken axles have been common on the Levo since the beginning. (2016) It's really nothing but general maintenance just like replacing a chain for the Levo. They are like $60. Put a new one on every year. Cheers

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
A classic design mistake, look at Carroll Smith's "Engineer To Win" page 115 to see why a part should never be designed with a sharp edge like this. An enterprising aftermarket supplier could make a greatly improved axle.

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
A classic design mistake, look at Carroll Smith's "Engineer To Win" page 115 to see why a part should never be designed with a sharp edge like this. An enterprising aftermarket supplier could make a greatly improved axle.
how would you suggest the axle provides a shoulder against which the bearing sits? Find me a hub axle without that shoulder!! Before cassettes, freewheel designs used to bend at that point for a pastime making disassembly almost impossible. Providing support with 2 additional bearings in the freehub resolved that problem but if the complete hub arrangement comes loose the freehub extension of the axle will be the shear point.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
how would you suggest the axle provides a shoulder against which the bearing sits? Find me a hub axle without that shoulder!! Before cassettes, freewheel designs used to bend at that point for a pastime making disassembly almost impossible. Providing support with 2 additional bearings in the freehub resolved that problem but if the complete hub arrangement comes loose the freehub extension of the axle will be the shear point.
This knowledge has been around for many years, it is surprising that designers are not taught this (or they forget).
shaft_20210521_133312.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles