Turbo Levo battery discharge by watching TV

MountainHead

Jun 15, 2022
Texas
I need to discharge the battery for storage from 100% to about 50% on my Specialized Turbo Levo using purely electrical means, avoiding any drivetrain wear.

I got a turbo levo battery cable (S206800004) then found that, bizarrely, the molded elbow is rotated 180 degrees from the way the bike's plug is. It would not plug in with the elbow going down, not up like on the bike. So I had to chop the rubber off the elbow and pull back a washer that locked the wires in. Then I could bend the wires enough to get it plugged in to the bike correctly. If you try this, be very careful not to cut the wires while removing the rubber.

modified_plug.jpg
plugged_in.jpg

I used a USB charger to put +5 volts on the enable pin relative to ground.

After plugging in the modified cable with +5 volts on the enable pin, the battery powers up for about 60 seconds, then turns off. It needs for the controller to talk to it to stay powered on. To work around this, plug the battery in normally, power up the bike TCU, then pull the plug without turning it off. Now plug in the discharge cable. The power will now stay latched on, and you can start discharging.

The initial voltage measured across the output with it enabled was 41.31 volts. This is obviously 10 lithium ion cells in series (4.2 volts fully charged). There is an inverter series that takes a DC input of 42-60 volts. So we need to boost the battery voltage a bit. I used a 5 volt, 15 amp power brick to do this. My inverter is 600 watts max. So at 41.31 volts, the max current is 600/41.31 = 14.5 amps. The "booster" brick must be able to carry this much current since its in series with the battery.

Now connect the booster brick in series with the battery. The total voltage is now 41.31 + 5 = 46.31 volts. In the range for the inverter to operate. Additionally, when the voltage drops to 42 volts and the inverter drops out, the battery voltage will be 42 - 5 = 37 volts. Which is the recommended target voltage to store lithium ion batteries at. So this will discharge to the 37 volt target, then stop.

setup.jpg

Here is the schematic:
schematic.jpg

Now comes the fun part: watching Netflicks using your Turbo Levo battery as the power supply.
mollys_game.jpg

When the TV went dark my battery had 47% remaining.
Forty_seven_percent.jpg

Success!

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
Or put it in turbo and ride around the block for 30 minutes.

I do wish discharge was possible with the charger as I had a wheel problem and couldn't discharge my battery

Aussie78

May 11, 2022
Melbourne, Australia
“Rosenberger - C003-03-2000-C Charging connector jack straight 25 amp”

is what you want to use to avoid cable elbow issues.

Beware to anyone else stepping outside the normal here, pinouts for the connector change over the years. Do not assume, do your own discovery.

Once I have everything documented I will publish.

boBE

Apr 12, 2020
FL
Or just don't worry about it, all this hype about leaving batteries fully charged is just bollox!
And even if it is not bollox we still don't know what Specialized calls "100%". Most EV batteries call 100% about 85-90% of actual full charge and 0% is about actual 10-15% in order to get better life from the battery. It is likely the bike manufacturers limit their batteries in a similar manner.

Alexbn921

Sep 27, 2021
East Bay CA
And even if it is not bollox we still don't know what Specialized calls "100%". Most EV batteries call 100% about 85-90% of actual full charge and 0% is about actual 10-15% in order to get better life from the battery. It is likely the bike manufacturers limit their batteries in a similar manner.
Actually we do. Some people that care have tested it. Specialized for example uses 100% of the battery and full charge is 4.2 volts per cell. All the rest do too.

No manufacture protects the battery outside of over temperature and absolute min/max voltages.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles