Trek Powerfly 9.9 battery fault. No warranty.

Wezaero

Oct 16, 2019
Nottingham
Hi guys , I recently purchased a Powerfly 9.9 2019.
Unfortunately the battery has recently packed in. It’s a £500 for a replacement and it’s something I’m not really prepared to do. So I am cutting my losses and selling my bike.
It’s a 2019 Powerfly 9.9
Carbon everything!!
850 miles.
rrp £7200.
I understand the new buyer will have to purchase a battery( literally just slots into the frame) so i have reflected this on the price. The battery was diagnosed at leisure lakes cycles (approved trek).
the price £3000. these bikes still sell for £4000 second hand.

03EEF1FC-F84F-4D8B-9AB2-6322870144A0.jpeg

2290B70E-74DA-4B92-94F6-633D54C71E4A.jpeg

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Welcome to the Forum Wezaero! :)

You MUST know that you will lose less money overall if you buy a new battery and sell the bike "with new battery".

Nobody will buy the bike if they can't test it, not even for £1000 below what you say is the market price. I have no reason to disbelieve you, but even £4000 sounds low for a £7200 bike.

Why is the battery not under warranty? I'm sure that all Trek emtb owners will want to know that.

What was the problem that caused the battery failure, was it the charger, or something else?

Does the knackered battery come with the bike? Or do you no longer have it?

I apologise for this in advance: I personally would stay away from your offer, I would not touch it with a bargepole.

Wezaero

Oct 16, 2019
Nottingham
Yes, I'm sure we would.
Hi mate, I bought the bike from the original owner if the bike was still with him, the warranty would be active. However Bosch and trek both have a policy where the warranty can’t be carried over when sold. hope this helps.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Hi mate, I bought the bike from the original owner if the bike was still with him, the warranty would be active. However Bosch and trek both have a policy where the warranty can’t be carried over when sold. hope this helps.

Then the answer is simple! Go back to the guy you bought the bike from and ask him to make the warranty claim. Why would he not do that?

Wezaero

Oct 16, 2019
Nottingham
Welcome to the Forum Wezaero! :)

You MUST know that you will lose less money overall if you buy a new battery and sell the bike "with new battery".

Nobody will buy the bike if they can't test it, not even for £1000 below what you say is the market price. I have no reason to disbelieve you, but even £4000 sounds low for a £7200 bike.

Why is the battery not under warranty? I'm sure that all Trek emtb owners will want to know that.

What was the problem that caused the battery failure, was it the charger, or something else?

Does the knackered battery come with the bike? Or do you no longer have it?

I apologise for this in advance: I personally would stay away from your offer, I would not touch it with a bargepole.
I stripped the battery down, I still have it if the person wants it, but it is beyond repair. I completely understand what you are saying about people wanting to test the bike etc. however if I had the spare money to put a battery in the bike to sell it, do you think I would? Of course I would. thanks for your reply though. It was most helpful! Lol

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
I stripped the battery down, I still have it if the person wants it, but it is beyond repair. I completely understand what you are saying about people wanting to test the bike etc. however if I had the spare money to put a battery in the bike to sell it, do you think I would? Of course I would. thanks for your reply though. It was most helpful! Lol
Stripping the battery down has removed your chance of a warranty claim. Despite your problem with coming up with the cash, I still firmly believe that fitting a new battery is your best option and getting a realistic sales price for the bike. Best of luck.

Wezaero

Oct 16, 2019
Nottingham
Then the answer is simple! Go back to the guy you bought the bike from and ask him to make the warranty claim. Why would he not do that?
I have already tried this and he has advised he told his local bike shop when he sold it, they also did not want to help! believe me I have tried everything and the last thing I want to do is sell the bike, however I’m left with no choice.

Wezaero

Oct 16, 2019
Nottingham
You should publish the name of the Trek bike supplier that refused to pursue a warranty claim for the original owner. That is outrageous!
Blazing bike, I think they are Cheshire based! I completely agree. The original owner also traded in his mondraker level RR which he Purchased from the same supplier when buying the trek! it’s not like he was a first time customer either.

GodsHammer

Apr 20, 2021
Kings lynn
Hi

The Bike looks awesome, I have a Trek Powerfly 5 FS 2019. I would take a punt at it but for £2000 as if its not the battery it has to be the motor, if it is then its just parts.

have a good un and keep smiling.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles