re-post Trek Powerfly vs Focus Jam2

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
Just another quick thumbs up for the Focus 29er Bold. I know there's only a small bunch of owners amongst the mostly Spesh fans here but, personally speaking, I felt it was great value for money for a first ebike and general road/MTB use. Having the T.E.C. pack too conveniently ups the range. At the time, it was tempting to upgrade to the Jam but decided to spend the money on the same bike for my son instead. The sacrifice was worth it as he gets a great kick out of e-biking and we can bike together!

Reactions: Lad

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
Hi guys,
Am verry happy with all the feedback you gave me and I have made a decision. I'm going for the Focus 29er Bold with the T.E.C. pack. No extra wheels but I will order a set of Maxxis Grifter 29x2.50" for commuting. I was a tire freak back in the days and changed tires all the time so I'm OK with that.
Good forum, good people here.
Ciao ;)

Well done best choice .......one thing not mentioned re the battery is if you can remove it from the frame to charge it indoors you need an alternative charger which I have not been able to find.so gave up and will buy the TEc pack. Take that to bed And keep the bike wrapped up in a cosy douvet in the cold weather.!,
Know what you mean about excitement over your BMW...i now prefer my Jam over my Lotus Exige ...must be getting Younger ;)
Have fun

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Come Jan/Feb you can add one to your number. I have ordered the Focus Jam2 6.8 NINE, plus TEC pack (I got a really good deal, it would have been silly to turn it down).

This will be my first eBike and I can't believe how excited I feel. The days are dragging.

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
I am, just now, planning on a ride tomorrow morning around 10am, possibly in the Surrey Hills. Anyone else interested?

akkypac

Patreon
Jun 2, 2018
East Surrey
Come Jan/Feb you can add one to your number. I have ordered the Focus Jam2 6.8 NINE, plus TEC pack (I got a really good deal, it would have been silly to turn it down).

This will be my first eBike and I can't believe how excited I feel. The days are dragging.
It's good to see prices coming down as it'll encourage more to give it a go. I know that a lot of folks here are super-knowledgeable about MTBs, have ridden plenty on analog versions and seem to have big bank balances (and/or tolerant partners) to support this but I'm a newbie and was instantly hooked to an EMTB once I got on the saddle. Now playing serious catch-up!

Albez

Sep 14, 2018
United Kingdom

Where u get the deal as I'm looking at the Focus jam2 6.8 plus but wouldn't say no to a free TEC pack thrown in.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
Where u get the deal as I'm looking at the Focus jam2 6.8 plus but wouldn't say no to a free TEC pack thrown in.
Hey, I never said I got a TEC pack for free!
Earlier this month, I visited JE James in Sheffield UK, to kill some time and I ended up negotiating over a Focus Jam2 Factory 2018 that was already £900 off. As part of the deal, I managed to get a TEC pack for £370, which was offered at cost to swing the deal. I then managed to get another £69 off the bike. Sadly, the deal over the 2018 went wrong, but I have managed to switch the TEC pack deal over to a new 2019 bike, the Jam2 6.8 NINE. I have also got them to do a price match on the bike following the Rutland Cycling's demo day 4th Nov where they gave me 15% off 2019 bikes (expires on 2nd Dec). I just have to wait until they make me a Jam2 now! Production scheduled for Jan'19, so I'm not expecting anything until Feb.

To get something at cost from a retailer, they have to be making something somewhere else on the deal. Or they need to get some cash through the door, irrespective of the margin. In other words, you have to be lucky enough to walk through the door at the right time. Try the end of the month. Sometimes the 1st of the month can work, if they haven't sent off the sales figures yet! I once got £18000 of double glazing for £7250 because of that. (Not from JE James, obvs). :D

Injidup

Oct 2, 2018
Perth, Western Australia
I’ve been using my Bold2 for commuting 20km each way once a week and the option of cheap wheels with road biased tyres is tempting, especially given the price of tubeless 27.5x3.0 tyres - not far off the cost of tyres for my Ducati!
Edit: Forgot to factor in cassette, discs and magnet. As it’s only 40km a week I’ll stick with knobblies!
My dealer currently has a deal on the T.E.C pack: $100 off or $200 off with a bike. As my bike is only 2 months old I’m going to try and get the better deal, especially as it’s back for repairs for the second time (loose rear hub).

Last edited:

DeeJay88

I Have the Focus Jam2 27.5+ very happy and the Shamino Motor is very good also as some have said it doesn't feel like an e-bike and I have also purchased the tec pack but have only used it twice as the single battery gives me 30k hard riding so it is only on adventures that I use it - the bosh motor with the small ring gear I'm told they wear out quickly and are like $250au to replace so that put me off for a start i chose for the weight and the fact with140mm travel front and rear covered a wide range of conditions. The only one i could find lighter was the Pivot also with the Shamino motor and also 50% higher in cost also i don't think they are to many in OZ due to they don't meet the speed restrictions of 25km very happy with the FOCUS and am now able to keep up with mots or the group well anyone over 35 that is CHeers David

MartinW148

May 30, 2018
Essex, England
I’m with Steve I also went for a Focus due to the bike fit and the motor.
For going to work you may find it a more relaxed ride if you swap the flat bars for a 30mm riser bar, just done this with mine due to a back injury and it feels great.
Finally, someone with a Focus who has changed to riser bars....

It's something I am looking to do as I want to move my COG back a bit as the reach is a little too long.

Have you noticed much difference?

OldBean

E*POWAH Elite
Patreon
Apr 28, 2018
East anglia
I switched to GQ labs riser bar with 17degree rake......helped a lot with my back and wrist problems .I now need to move my saddle back a fraction as I keep shifting back as I ride this is possibly a result of the rake..
Maybe a longer stem would do the trick..

highpeakrider

E*POWAH Master
Aug 10, 2018
Peak District
Finally, someone with a Focus who has changed to riser bars....

It's something I am looking to do as I want to move my COG back a bit as the reach is a little too long.

Have you noticed much difference?

It’s just a more relaxing position, I’ve got a bulging disc at the minute so it gives me a more upright positioning. I can’t do anything rough at the minute so I’m just riding lanes and forest roads to aid recovery.
I’m not in a position to tell how they affect weight on the front wheel.

Lad

Nov 15, 2018
Australia
I switched to GQ labs riser bar with 17degree rake......helped a lot with my back and wrist problems .I now need to move my saddle back a fraction as I keep shifting back as I ride this is possibly a result of the rake..
Maybe a longer stem would do the trick..

The very first mod I did to my Bold was to fit the carbon Raceface Next bar, Ritchie stem and swapped OEM saddle to Nukeproof Horizon. Except the saddle it is identical cockpit setup to my analog bike. Saddle is moved maybe 10mm back.

Next were the Revgrips - always used ESI Extra Chunkies, but these Revgrips are bloody good. Expensive, but will buy again. Hurting of the wrists is gone.

The proper cockpit setup is of utmost importance to me due to serious damage done to my upper body in a moto accident three years ago at the age of 55.

My right shoulder was shot to pieces but what is worse, it whacked my neck spine out of normal position to what a MRI scan revealed is called reverse lordosis. The net result 3 years later are 2 degenerated discs. Three or four weeks ago one of them impinged permanently the major nerve controlling the left arm. The spine operation is inevitable, sooner better than later.

I'm out of dirt, can't control my bike safely, so started commuting and just coasting on some easy firetrails around.

Don't want to hijack this thread with my ailments, but the moral of the story is: setup your bike so you feel comfortable on it. If 50mm riser bar helps, so be it. Short stems are popular nowadays, but if longer stems will get you in better position, go for it. It will pay off in long term.

Cheers.
IMG_20180812_133222.jpg

IMG_20181013_143307.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles