TRANCE ELITE 2 FIRST RIDE AND FIRST EMTB

jonwoodend

Aug 8, 2023
WOODEND VIC AU
Have just purchased a Giant Trance elite 2. My first ebike and purchased this for all the wrong reasons. Just liked the look of it with the narrow down tube. Liked the fact that I don't have to lug around a big battery for shorter rides and can add an energypak as needed. First ride, 25km 600m climb and one light left. Mostly on 3-4 energy assist level with some 5 just to try it out. Hopefully I will get a little more out of the 400Wh battery. (yep I'm a 95kg lump!) Q. Whilst reading some articles there was some comments about the battery's needing to be "run in" for the first 5 or so rides and then after this the battery will give more life or km's. Is this correct as it sounds strange to me and not seen this in any manuals.

MRB

Aug 25, 2020
Australia
Another question re the battery. Has anyone taken a battery out yet? How easy is it? I want to fly the bike to Tassie for a MTB holiday and can't fly it with the battery in - against 'rules', but if I can take it our relatively easily then I can ship the battery overland.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Congrats!

I’m no expert but I’ve seen comments on this forum that support that a battery becomes more efficient after several charge cycles.

When I first got my Fuel EXe, I was a little worried about how fast my battery seemed to be draining. After only a few charges, however, there was noticeable improvement to how long the battery lasted.

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
Another question re the battery. Has anyone taken a battery out yet? How easy is it? I want to fly the bike to Tassie for a MTB holiday and can't fly it with the battery in - against 'rules', but if I can take it our relatively easily then I can ship the battery overland.
I think it depends on the bike. I don’t think all have easily removable batteries.

For my bike (Fuel EXe) for example, yes, you can remove the battery and just bring an extender battery, and fly with it.

jonwoodend

Aug 8, 2023
WOODEND VIC AU
Have not taken the battery out only the 200 which is easy. Can't really see where to take it out
Congrats!

I’m no expert but I’ve seen comments on this forum that support that a battery becomes more efficient after several charge cycles.

When I first got my Fuel EXe, I was a little worried about how fast my battery seemed to be draining. After only a few charges, however, there was noticeable improvement to how long the battery lasted.
Thanks Julie: I'll keep on charging, but it puzzles me why it actually gets better. I can't think of any other battery system I have that does this or maybe it's just that with a EMTB it is more noticeable. Cheers

AMD

Aug 8, 2023
New Zealand
Hi
Have just purchased a Giant Trance elite 2. My first ebike and purchased this for all the wrong reasons. Just liked the look of it with the narrow down tube. Liked the fact that I don't have to lug around a big battery for shorter rides and can add an energypak as needed. First ride, 25km 600m climb and one light left. Mostly on 3-4 energy assist level with some 5 just to try it out. Hopefully I will get a little more out of the 400Wh battery. (yep I'm a 95kg lump!) Q. Whilst reading some articles there was some comments about the battery's needing to be "run in" for the first 5 or so rides and then after this the battery will give more life or km's. Is this correct as it sounds strange to me and not seen this in any manuals.
Are you having any luck running in your battery? I have the woman's version of your bike (Intrigue Elite 2). I have only had mine for a week. I have adjusted the torque settings on the different assistant levels (based on someone's comment on this blog). Will be trying it out the weekend to see how it goes.

wildmantas

Aug 24, 2021
Tasmania
Re: battery removal. Its not too bad actually. Just got to make sure to disconnect the ride control Go and Ergo remotes. Start by removing the Go controller (in the top tube) by peeling back the front of it and removing the 2mm hex screw and the magnet that holds the front of the unit in. Then remove the remote unit by pushing it forward - theres a locating tab at the back'- then up and out. Unplug this and you should also be able to find the Ergo remote plug lead in there as well (a torch and a bent over spoke or hooked probe will help).

Then flip the bike over and remove motor covers, unplug motor from the power supply and the 3 ancillary plugs. Unbolt the motor and remove. Remove the charger port cover. Then remove the 3 T25 screws in the downtube and pull the battery out. Note that the smart gateway (the Bluetooth dongle) is attached to the battery, not the frame now.

Installation is a simple reversal of the above. And the PWX motor is now so much easier to reinstall now that the wiring loom has been tidied up and much more compact.

Reactions: AMD

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles