Kiwi Trance E+ 2 Newbie, Central Otago, NZ

BazzaNZ

Jul 1, 2023
Alexandra NZ
Hi All, another newbie to e-bikes, am in kiwiland, involved with building & maintaining Great Rides in Central Otago (Lk Dunstan, Roxburgh Gorge & Clutha Gold trails). In my 70's & have recently updated my pedal power Trance 1 to an e-version, Trance E+2, so keen to learn more about the pro's & con's of this bike via your forum. A few issues to look out for it seems so X fingers, done about 250 winter kms on it so far, mainly on Otago Central Rail Trail, so far so good.
Barrie (BazzaNZ)
IMG_20230613_135413.jpg

Wombat Breath

Sep 26, 2023
Western Australia
Hi Barrie, my wife and I are looking forward to checking out all your local trails early in '24 (doing the Otago big loop - LD, RG, CG, CORT & the A2O). Sadly our accommodation was all booked before the Waihola extension to the CGT was announced so that will have to wait for another trip. Trust the recent floods haven't caused to many headaches. Cheers

BazzaNZ

Jul 1, 2023
Alexandra NZ
Hi Wombat B - we look forward to hosting you on our trails. Am just back from several weeks in Sth Aust myself with wife, 4WDing up the Flinders, Oodnadata track, Alice Springs, Mereenie Loop to Kings Canyon, Uluru & Kata Tjuta, & back via Mulga Park Rd, Coober Pedy & Port Broughton. Great fun.
Note Roxburgh Gorge still has a gap in the middle - we've been negotiating with a couple of landowners and relevant NGO's to get construction under way but it looks like more delay with the unknown outcome of Govt elections this month, and much belt tightening by the bureaucrats. However the taxi boats are still operating to bridge the 11km gap & they give a great spiel on the gold history of the gorge, so not a major issue.
The Clutha did flood somewhat as hydro dams opened spillways but thankfully only caused minor disruption. Big winds this past week will no doubt knock over some trees too, but no news yet from our trail maintenance manager.

Wombat Breath

Sep 26, 2023
Western Australia
Hi Wombat B - ...
Note Roxburgh Gorge still has a gap in the middle - we've been negotiating with a couple of landowners and relevant NGO's to get construction under way but it looks like more delay with the unknown outcome of Govt elections this month, and much belt tightening by the bureaucrats. However the taxi boats are still operating to bridge the 11km gap & they give a great spiel on the gold history of the gorge, so not a major issue.
All good - I've heard good things about the jet boat trip. I understand that Lawrence is the recommended guide?

BazzaNZ

Jul 1, 2023
Alexandra NZ
All good - I've heard good things about the jet boat trip. I understand that Lawrence is the recommended guide?
Whew - March '24 already and there is snow on the tops this week. An early sign of winter in Kiwiland?? Hope you managed to get over here and enjoyed the trails? And yes, Lawrence is your man - check Clutha Rv Cruises out on FB.

We are no further ahead with the Roxburgh Gorge gap, but Clutha Gold is now (unofficially) open down to Waihola with a nice sector through the Manuka Gorge including a couple of old train tunnels. Kawarau Gorge (Gibbston to Bannockburn) will soon be under construction, eventually enabling riders to go from Queenstown to Clyde/Cromwell/Alexandra and onwards. Luggate (Wanaka) to Pisa Moorings (Cromwell) is in the planning stages as well - a few land access issues to sort there.

We hear rumours about completing a trail from Dunedin, via Mosgiel, to Waihola as well, and there are mutterings about a trail up to Middlemarch and the Otago Central Rail Trail via the current Taieri Gorge Train line. Personally I think it would be sacrilege to disrupt the rail line, but if a complementary cycle/walkway can be built alongside it, then great.

Heres to a great cycling future in Central Otago - we already have one helluva network with more to come, also some great adjacent pure MB trails like Flat Top Hill.

IMG_20240118_152525_resize.jpg IMG_20240118_152818_resize.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles