Trance advanced E+ elite dropper post issues?

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
Hi.
Wife bought Trance elite e+. Since day 1 having issues with the dropper. If you are sitting on the seat and try the dropper the seat won’t drop. If you unweight from the seat hit the dropper lever, hold it and then put weight on the seat it will drop. This is the only bike we’ve had this issue and we’ve tried multiple trance elite e+ in stores aswell as other bikes with the same dropper and only this model seems to have this issue. All other bikes with same dropper would see the seat drop while you were seated as expected. Is this a design issue with this bike?. The lbs suggested it’s to do with the seat tube angle . Is it work changing the dropper to a oneup or something and might that resolve the issue. It’s become a big issue for my wife who isn’t feeling safe has the seat won’t drop with her usual riding style. No problems on any other model bike we’ve tried

Any thoughts?

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Seat tube angle sounds like bs to me. Simply get the lbs to swap a post you have tested in the shop to her bike and if it doesn’t play up you know it’s the dropper, take minutes to do and should be warranty. If you just want to replace it, sram axs would be my recommendation.

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
Seat tube angle sounds like bs to me. Simply get the lbs to swap a post you have tested in the shop to her bike and if it doesn’t play up you know it’s the dropper, take minutes to do and should be warranty. If you just want to replace it, sram axs would be my recommendation.
Yeah we did ask them, they offered to sell us a different brand. Every trance advance e. + elite we tried seemed to have the issue but other models ( trace, or reign ) that had the same identical dropper had no issues. Feels like a design issue and wondering if others experienced the same . My assumption is the dropper should drop even if alll my weight is on the seat when I push the lever?

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Yeah we did ask them, they offered to sell us a different brand. Every trance advance e. + elite we tried seemed to have the issue but other models ( trace, or reign ) that had the same identical dropper had no issues. Feels like a design issue and wondering if others experienced the same . My assumption is the dropper should drop even if alll my weight is on the seat when I push the lever?
Yes the seat should drop when you operate the lever with weight on, however I have had experience when they need a second push on the lever because I didn’t release the first time. They only tend to stick if the cable is not set correctly or they need maintenance. The stock droppers are ok, but you can do better. Giant use 2 keys in there droppers, where other more expensive brand tend to use 3, which makes them smoother. At the end of the day Giant are not going to send a product to market that is faulty so I do not believe it’s a design problem. I’ve not heard on hear or anywhere else of dropper issues with the elite. Your retailer should be sorting it out for you, not trying to sell you another product when the one supplied with the bike is perfectly ok. They are saying every elite in the shop cannot be sold due to faulty droppers, which is a safety issue, I don’t think so. Tell them to get the spanner’s out and sort it, or return the bike because it cannot be ridden and is not fit for purpose. Or if it can be rectified in their view, by fitting a different brand, supply you with one free of charge and they can take it up with Giant. Giant has an excellent warranty, seems you lbs is being lazy or do not have the experience to resolve the issue.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
I
Yes the seat should drop when you operate the lever with weight on, however I have had experience when they need a second push on the lever because I didn’t release the first time. They only tend to stick if the cable is not set correctly or they need maintenance. The stock droppers are ok, but you can do better. Giant use 2 keys in there droppers, where other more expensive brand tend to use 3, which makes them smoother. At the end of the day Giant are not going to send a product to market that is faulty so I do not believe it’s a design problem. I’ve not heard on hear or anywhere else of dropper issues with the elite. Your retailer should be sorting it out for you, not trying to sell you another product when the one supplied with the bike is perfectly ok. They are saying every elite in the shop cannot be sold due to faulty droppers, which is a safety issue, I don’t think so. Tell them to get the spanner’s out and sort it, or return the bike because it cannot be ridden and is not fit for purpose. Or if it can be rectified in their view, by fitting a different brand, supply you with one free of charge and they can take it up with Giant. Giant has an excellent warranty, seems you lbs is being lazy or do not have the experience to resolve the issue.
I tried the Elite for a good 1 ½ hour last fall and did not experience dropper issue at all. I completely agree that Giant is unlikely to market a bike with this inherent problem.

mrhaboobi

Sep 17, 2023
New Zealand
So update. I pulled dropper apart re greased with sram butter. Adjusted cables . Re installed. What I’ve found is if the dropper gets to full extension then you get issues with it not wanting to go down if it’s under load and you press the lever. Under no load works perfectly. I then found if I adjusted the dropper to reduce full extension by 20mm it doesn’t stick. The dropper is a transx. .

So my guess. Dropper flexes under full extension and doesn’t retract if under load because of flex. Stuck a spare older one up dropper in. No issues. Feel like it’s a crappy dropper supplied with the bike.

Are there no current giant elite e+ owners here :)

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Makes sense to me, glad you got to the bottom of it. Shame your lbs couldn’t be arsed to do it for you, seat tube angle 🙄. Transx dropper though ? Is that what it should have shipped with, I thought they were giants own ?. Treat the Mrs to an axs one, she’ll love you for it 😍

big_scot_nanny

Subscriber
Nov 23, 2022
Scotland
Hmm, interesting. You made me check, as I have a habit, probably since Gravity Dropper days, of lifting my bum off the saddle before I depress lever and drop the post. It is absolutely muscle memory, happens instantaneously, as definitely in the past you had to take pressure off before dropping.

Just did a quick check if it is possible to drop without this 'lift' , and indeed it is, but I now need reconstructive surgery. Ooft! 😳🤣

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles