Trail Watts starts testing Range Extender for Bosch.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
I’ve halted in this due to restrictions on time.
Hopefully once Bosch updates firmware to be more reliable without glitches as I see currently then I will continue.

Steve940

Jan 15, 2020
North east England
Once you've got this sorted I'll be very Interested,for me the only real downside to ebikes is range,I'm constantly checking battery life just incase.ive found the gen4 bosche and 625wh to be better than expected but another 3-400 would possibly stop me even thinking about it..

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Once you've got this sorted I'll be very Interested,for me the only real downside to ebikes is range,I'm constantly checking battery life just incase.ive found the gen4 bosche and 625wh to be better than expected but another 3-400 would possibly stop me even thinking about it..
Sorry but I’m concentrating on shimano as I’ve received my EP8 test bike.

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
That's disappointing. What made you drop the Bosch testing?

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
That's disappointing. What made you drop the Bosch testing?
Due to the lack of adjustability like other brands. Bosch battery consumption is not where it needs to be for viability with my module. It can be done and proven but until they move to user friendly apps and software that doesn’t disable the motor with false registering of derestriction. Plus if their 625wh on the gen 4 can’t do 2 laps of my local trail centre vs my 2018 levo on 504wh can?

Over engineered firmware and systems i shy away from. Other brands and motors are well ahead in the user friendly and compliance.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Something wrong there, my 625 easily outlasts all my mates on 504 Levos and is closer to a 700 Levo than the numbers would suggest.
Well same bike, same trail, same rider, same weather and both derestricted. Testing at speed is the only way to calculate range. Anyone could ride huge distances in eco with ultra fitness.

Yetirose

Nov 5, 2021
Evesham
Would deffo be interested. However I have a fox DPX2 shock and it comes very close to the bottle cage on my LT7, I know that with a larger bottle it touches, I will check on dimensions later. What sort or price are we looking at ?
Will this fit with a fox shock in place though?
those dimentions for the bottle battery would fit in my Whyte E150 bottle cage ok. very interested in this product .

Bomble

Subscriber
Nov 11, 2018
Yorkshire
I have my finger crossed for the Bosch extender but there is something weird if your 625 Bosch won’t outlast a 500 Spesh.
I’ve had a Levo with the 500 and 700 battery as well as a 625 Bosch and the Bosch is on a par with the 700 Spesh.
I also ride with a 700 levo and a 500 kenevo with one of your 250 extenders and they are all very similar. Same routes, speeds and I’m just slightly the heaviest.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
I have my finger crossed for the Bosch extender but there is something weird if your 625 Bosch won’t outlast a 500 Spesh.
I’ve had a Levo with the 500 and 700 battery as well as a 625 Bosch and the Bosch is on a par with the 700 Spesh.
I also ride with a 700 levo and a 500 kenevo with one of your 250 extenders and they are all very similar. Same routes, speeds and I’m just slightly the heaviest.
The 625wh Bosch derestricted vs 2018 levo 504wh derestricted and the levo won. Sad to say that the testing I do is very thorough and even after diagnostics and firmware update on the trek rail did not change the results. If you ride in low assist modes and have a restricted bike then you get a better range. Testing on Bosch is continuing after investing in equipment and I receive Bosch booster enquiries daily so my results must be shared by owners to some degree.

avman

May 24, 2021
hull
i will add to the list for a bosch range extender, i do hope you can sort one.

my 2p on range (generalizing here no actual proper figures) , gen4 625 emtb mode vs a yamamha pwx-2 600 trail mode both derestricted, the Yamaha beats the bosch for range hands down.
im fact just did dalby red 22.5 miles 12deg with a first timer emtb on haibike all mtn 7 Yamaha using mostly turbo/boost beat the other bikes gen4 (moustache 29 trail 10) for battery life. emtb mode can really suck the life out of a battery.

Beaker2135

Subscriber
May 13, 2021
Cumbria
Im also interested in this as it seems a better option than carrying a spare PowerTube. Especially if it is removable for use as and when needed

Hardtail

Mar 8, 2021
Uk
The 625wh Bosch derestricted vs 2018 levo 504wh derestricted and the levo won. Sad to say that the testing I do is very thorough and even after diagnostics and firmware update on the trek rail did not change the results. If you ride in low assist modes and have a restricted bike then you get a better range. Testing on Bosch is continuing after investing in equipment and I receive Bosch booster enquiries daily so my results must be shared by owners to some degree.
Hi mate,
I have only just found this sub forum... Nice work!
I find it interesting and practical that you test range with de-restriction. I ride a 2020 Mondraker with Bosch gen 4 and Volspeed 3 and it has been amazing, I just set it at 60kmph and send it (I figured if I'm going that fast it is downhill and I wouldn't be peddling). It has given 1 error in 2 years during a massive down-pour where I found water in the piggyback connectors.
I do a lot of fast commuting miles and find I can get about 40miles in trail mode on one 625wh battery, pedalling as hard as I can.
I have made some small modes to increase range, a lighter wheelset, 2.1 Thunder Burt tyres and a larger chain ring.
I don't have anything else to compare it to but I have been really happy with the Bosch. I would only consider another motor if it was proven to give better range when de-restricted.
I'm happy to test any products if required.

Cocktail_Dave

Mar 7, 2023
Lincolnshire UK
I Will buy this now!!

I have been looking for ages and was just getting ready to buy another battery and a backpack!!

Please PM me if this is available for pre order!!

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Once we have finalised module design then we will be able to offer fittings. This kit will not be a plug and play option as Bosch integration requires motor/ battery removal along with selecting cable output and length for each model/ variation.

TrailwattsUK

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Trader
Aug 27, 2018
Kent
Here’s an example of a ‘so called’ active system available from one of these companies. Customer’s battery BMS was destroyed and the power input PCB within motor has burnt off the main board and was rattling around in motor casing.
D0EB732B-AD1E-48CF-8477-DEC3092B2A84.jpeg

EF90D6D8-F618-4150-8879-73C761F716D5.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles