TQ HPR50 Grinding Noise

Borut

Mar 21, 2021
Slovenia
i got my motor replaced at around december 2023. Grinding noice stopped. Frame ticking is still there and no noticeable difference in power or any other miracle revalations.
Is that frame ticking? That ticking was driving me nuts and i sold the bike. Tick tick tick......i hate that

AMbmb2168

Aug 9, 2022
Canada
Well my 9.5 Fuel Exe started making the clicking noise after 1100 kms (purchased in fall 2022).
I had just taken it to the LBS for an annual tune up and firmware update.

First ride out the ticking/clicking from the motor area started. Especially noticeable when going uphill.
I do not ride real hard nor fast and do not work the motor really hard - most of my rides are in the first 2 assist levels.

The chain ring does not feel tight. There is a bit of wiggle there so I am hoping that is the problem. The shop may have taken it off and failed to tighten it properly.

I read somewhere on this forum that loose chain rings were causing some problems and that it was recommended to tighten them more than specified in the set up guides. (60nm vs 50nm?) Is that true and did it help anyone get rid of the ticking noise?

Free_Tibet

Aug 30, 2022
Australia
Well my 9.5 Fuel Exe started making the clicking noise after 1100 kms (purchased in fall 2022).

First ride out the ticking/clicking from the motor area started. Especially noticeable when going uphill.
I do not ride real hard nor fast and do not work the motor really hard - most of my rides are in the first 2 assist levels.

The chain ring does not feel tight. There is a bit of wiggle there so I am hoping that is the problem. The shop may have taken it off and failed to tighten it properly.

I read somewhere on this forum that loose chain rings were causing some problems and that it was recommended to tighten them more than specified in the set up guides. (60nm vs 50nm?) Is that true and did it help anyone get rid of the ticking noise?
Hi.
The EXe chainring locking rings were originally stamped with "30Nm" as the tightening torque spec. But Trek found it was insufficient so they changed the spec to be 50Nm. I asked my Trek store to send me a new locking ring with the 50Nm marking, which they did.

Regarding a VERY quiet ticking noise I had when pedalling when I first received the bike in Sept 2022 - it was hard for my Trek shop to hear or replicate in their noisy location ... - so I removed the motor completely, greased all the bolts and made sure the Compensation screws were adjusted properly, and of course checked the chainring and crank arms were tightened to spec. The noise was then gone and has not reappeared after 1600km.
Hope this helps!

DBSwiss

Oct 25, 2022
United States

I have a 2022 9.8 XT and have had the lock ring come lose on me over time. I can replicate the clicking noise at a standstill just by pushing down on the cranks. Tightening them back to 50nm has always resolved the issue when I had it.

volts

May 15, 2018
DK
My clicking isn't chain ring or compensation screws. I have no idea what it can be. Very annoying.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles