Levo Gen 2 Tooth broken on my SRAM XG1199 S-Works cassette - warranty issue?

Hightower

Sep 7, 2018
Mars
Hi All,

I have a 2019 Levo S-Works and last time I rode it I heard this horrible loud click from the cassette as if the drive train was about the break.

Took it to my LBS today to let them have a look and they said they adjusted the derailleur. I took it for a quick spin around the parking lot and it made the same noise.

The mechanic took another look at it and said the cassette was worn and this is not covered under warranty. Fair enough, I thought. I guess wear and tear is not covered. But, the bike only has about 1K miles and I lube the drive train before every ride. There is no "hooking" of the teeth or "valleys" that normally indicate a worn sprocket/cassette.

When I got home I discovered that a tooth was half-broken off on the second smallest cog and that this was the only cog the noise was happening on. The chain must be skipping a tooth.

Now I'm wondering if this is something that would be covered under warranty. This is a pretty pricey replacement part. Looks like a SRAM XG1199 is about $300USD

Should I go back to my dealer and show them the broken tooth? Would this be covered under warranty? Thanks!

lumpy

🚁 CHOPPER 🚁
Nov 26, 2018
SF Bay Area
I doubt it'd be under warranty. it's a wear item.
Can't you just run an XG-1150 GX1? That's what I run and I'm quite happy with it

escrs

Jun 26, 2019
UK
Not under warranty with Specialized im afraid

Mine broke on the first ride (snapped tooth on the 10t cog)

Luckily i have a very good dealer (Chris Reilly@ Berkshire Cycles) who replaced it for free

You could try speaking to Sram and see what they say but after 1k i doubt they would warranty it

BTTB

Jan 10, 2019
Planet Earth
I'm pretty disappointed with some of the components on my Levo 2020 Comp for the price.

I actually bent my 6th gear on a short climb by applying nothing more that pedal pressure in default Trail mode and ok I'm 90kgs but still it bent like it was made from lead.

With only just over 150km on the bike its not been abused.

I'm miffed that the SRAM PG-1130 Cassette bent so easily - I know it's only £70 to replace, but right now I don't want to simply replace it with the same cassette for fear I bend another one.

So looking for a replacement cassette which is more up to the job.

Hightower

Sep 7, 2018
Mars
Thanks for the replies. I guess I'm going to look for another cassette.

Anything that is E-bike specific? I don't want to have to be replacing cassettes every few months and it seems that regular MTB cassettes are not up to the job when considering the extra power of an E-bike.

Cheers.

Ted

Apr 23, 2019
California
I have the same bike. I replaced the 1199 cassette with the 1150. The 1150 has a steel 42t which I use a lot and is 1/3 the price. A bit heavier but I didn't care. It works fine.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles