Levo SL Gen 1 Raw carbon look on s-works

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
For reasons I mentioned earlier the Levo Comp I bought last year didn't work for me and I decided to go for an SL. I was lucky enough to snag a 2021 s-works small frame at the earlier price(6500$) and my build will result in it costing less than an expert with components I like. So I'm really pretty happy about that. In addition I'm selling some of my earlier bikes in the stable and will nearly break even. I did though just realize that both last years and current s-works for Levos and Sls have a clear coat finish over raw carbon. So it has an unfinished look. Is this a trend and is it something that is desirable on the market? I'm not sure what I think about it myself although I do think it's kid of cool I also have misgivings about it especially at the price. I do love the color combo of the bike outside of the unfinished look - black on gold and it might be my favorite color combo of the 2021 SL's. Does having raw carbon with clear coat result in weight savings over a solid paint and clear coat finish? My LBS says it doesn't. Just wondering why Spesh would have their top of the line have an unfinished look. Anyone have any insight?

I'm still going for the bike -- this isn't enough of a deterrent and in the end it's the ride that counts. I still haven't seen the bike since it's 1.5 hours away but the store did send me pics. Also, I'm unlikely to both find a bike, and get a deal like this for quite some time until Spesh lowers theirs prices on these frames so I almost have no choice if I want to ride this summer.

Last edited:

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Personally I like the "raw" carbon look. Uno do it particularly well.

IIRC from some threads with specialized you can see the lay up though the clear coat - the raw Stumpy Evo looks the nuts too

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 12.26.04.png

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 12.28.01.png

Screenshot 2021-02-23 at 12.28.45.png

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
Thanks guys -.that’s good to hear since I’ve never seen one in person. From pics the sl doesn’t seem to have the
“designed” patterned carbon look the photos above show. More a reveal of the layers of carbon Folding on one another.

I was thinking the painted ones should have a clear coat to avoid easy scratches during transport and before sale but I’m just guessing.

1Nixxxo

Nov 29, 2019
Russia
As I remember, repaining or striping a paint automatically voids the warranty, especially on carbon as it should be done by professionals. The warranty than will not cover motor and harnesses, so it might be too expensive in the end(

Ask you LBS or Specialized before it’s not too late

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
As I remember, repaining or striping a paint automatically voids the warranty, especially on carbon as it should be done by professionals. The warranty than will not cover motor and harnesses, so it might be too expensive in the end(

Ask you LBS or Specialized before it’s not too late
Oh I’m not repainting or refinishing, I think you misunderstood. The frame is already so expensive I can’t think of doing anything else at the moment LOL.

Mtbvkk

Feb 21, 2020
Seattle, wa
It’s beautiful man you’ll love it. I just wish I invisiframed mine before riding it.
Thanks man. I am doing invisiframe on mine - having the shop do it as part of the build. I did RideWrap myself on my Levo I just sold and vowed I’d never do it myself again. :)

My 2017 carbon stumpjumper looks like it’s been through hell. I still love it but I wish I’d wrapped it so I’m not making that mistake again - feels expensive but worth it in the long run.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles