To Hollow Tech II or not?

Jam2Ride

Aug 17, 2018
TASMANIA
Has anyone changed their standard E8000 solid crank arms to E8050 HollowTech II crank arms??

Was it worth it?

And what's the benefits other than weight saving?

Kernow

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cornwall uk
I didn’t even know there was an alternative from shimano , mine came with the e8050 as standard , but I can’t really see how you could tell the difference , unless one is stronger and bends less easily , I dont think You would benefit spending £80 plus on a set unless it was to get a shorter size , but they only go down to 165mm mine are 170 so I can see little point in that change iether , 160 would be better I think if they made them

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
HOLLOWTECH CRANK ARM | SHIMANO BIKE COMPONENT

I thought about buying E8050s when I first bought my Ebike. But the cheap E8000 crank arms although basic are functionally fine. I believe the E8050 is XT level and as such should use higher grade Aluminium in construction too. Personally I'd have liked Shimano to have developed a Saint level E8000 compatible crank set with a 165mm option and would probably have bought them as stiffness and strength are noticably improved with those over XT on their normal HTII cranksets.
On the other hand, it may be a blessing as I'd rather my crank arm sacrificially bent and needed replacing than the E8000 motor BB axle.
I'm honestly not convinced by the durability of the BB E8000 motors axle/bearings with mine going in less than 3 months and only around 800 miles use.

Jam2Ride

Aug 17, 2018
TASMANIA
HOLLOWTECH CRANK ARM | SHIMANO BIKE COMPONENT

I thought about buying E8050s when I first bought my Ebike. But the cheap E8000 crank arms although basic are functionally fine. I believe the E8050 is XT level and as such should use higher grade Aluminium in construction too. Personally I'd have liked Shimano to have developed a Saint level E8000 compatible crank set with a 165mm option and would probably have bought them as stiffness and strength are noticably improved with those over XT on their normal HTII cranksets.
On the other hand, it may be a blessing as I'd rather my crank arm sacrificially bent and needed replacing than the E8000 motor BB axle.
I'm honestly not convinced by the durability of the BB E8000 motors axle/bearings with mine going in less than 3 months and only around 800 miles use.

What did it go in for?

And yeah I ended up just going for the 170mm e8000 ones.. Mine came with 175mm and I get pedal strikes often on my focus 27.5+ jam2...

Jam2Ride

Aug 17, 2018
TASMANIA
Mines got small amount of play to.. I removed the crank arms and chainring lockring to check and its in the actual motor/ axle. . rang the shop,spoke to shimano, have spoken to others... Have checked new bikes with the shimnao steps and they all have it .. Functional play was what I was told ?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
Watch the video i posted and turn the volume up.
Functional lateral play is one thing.
Angular play and creaking like hell is another.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles