Hope Tech alternatives

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Hi all,
I'm looking to get some hope parts for my bike this year. Just whilst I'm digging online for the parts, I was wondering if there are any similar brands out there that sell good quality parts in striking colours?
The quality of hope is a real attraction and the personalised touch it adds to your bike is awesome too.

Thanks in advance
J

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
Nukeproof new Horizon range comes in some pretty Hope'esqe colour ways, but they only really do bars stems and pedals:

Screenshot 2019-01-07 at 22.42.15.png

Screenshot 2019-01-07 at 22.42.47.png

Screenshot 2019-01-07 at 22.43.43.png

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
The quality of hope is a real attraction
I personally wouldn't get too carried away expecting anything especially high quality from Hope hubs. They're not terrible. But they're nothing special. I've probabbly owned 30 hope hubs from 1994 to present day and every single hope hub body I've ever owned has eventually failed catastrophically. (the early ones, the flanges debonded from the shell, all the rest have cracked either across the flange, shell or disc mounts) Most lasted around 4 to 7 years.
I stuck with them for so long as the original staff were really helpful, their customer service was amazing and spares were readily available rather than particularly being a fan of the actual products. Their customer service isn't great anymore and certain younger staff I've dealt with have been dicks so I no longer choose Hope for anything. I'm not saying you shouldn't just why I no longer do.

Here's one that cracked last year.
cracked ProII.jpg

after around 4 years use..

I'm not into flashy coloured parts at all but plenty other manufacturers sell anodised hubs of at least as high quality as Hope.

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
I personally wouldn't get too carried away expecting anything especially high quality from Hope hubs. They're not terrible. But they're nothing special. I've probabbly owned 30 hope hubs from 1994 to present day and every single hope hub body I've ever owned has eventually failed catastrophically. (the early ones, the flanges debonded from the shell, all the rest have cracked either across the flange, shell or disc mounts) Most lasted around 4 to 7 years.
I stuck with them for so long as the original staff were really helpful, their customer service was amazing and spares were readily available rather than particularly being a fan of the actual products. Their customer service isn't great anymore and certain younger staff I've dealt with have been dicks so I no longer choose Hope for anything. I'm not saying you shouldn't just why I no longer do.

Here's one that cracked last year.
View attachment 9451
after around 4 years use..

I'm not into flashy coloured parts at all but plenty other manufacturers sell anodised hubs of at least as high quality as Hope.
Cheers for the info Gary. I've not used many Hope bits my self, well never their hubs at least. I am a fan of the colour but I know not everyone likes the certain "in your face" colours available.

I will have to look around at the hubs then - got any manufacturer recommendations? Your reference to 1994 was before I was born so you defo have more experience than me! :)

Norange

Jul 29, 2018
Wiltshire
My experience with Hope couldn't be more different than Gary's. Have had brakes, hubs, headsets and BB's across multiple bikes since 2004 and no issues there. I do remember having an issue with a light and they swopped it directly, no need for faff on warranty etc.

Indeed, only today I got some parts ordered online and thought something was missing, Tried ringing the shop but no answer. Rang hope and the tech support chap answered immediately. Confirmed on the phone that the missing part should have been in the kit. Apologised, even though it could have been the shops fault. Had a chat, he's sending me the part out today, plus some other bits FOC. And these are parts for brakes made nearly 20 years ago.

I have heard mixed things about Superstar, never used them myself. Think their stuff is made in China so it is cheap and likely to be well made for the price. Can't see them servicing stuff for 20 years mind!

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
My experience with Hope couldn't be more different than Gary's. Have had brakes, hubs, headsets and BB's across multiple bikes since 2004 and no issues there. I do remember having an issue with a light and they swopped it directly, no need for faff on warranty etc.

Indeed, only today I got some parts ordered online and thought something was missing, Tried ringing the shop but no answer. Rang hope and the tech support chap answered immediately. Confirmed on the phone that the missing part should have been in the kit. Apologised, even though it could have been the shops fault. Had a chat, he's sending me the part out today, plus some other bits FOC. And these are parts for brakes made nearly 20 years ago.

I have heard mixed things about Superstar, never used them myself. Think their stuff is made in China so it is cheap and likely to be well made for the price. Can't see them servicing stuff for 20 years mind!
Thanks for this @Norange. As I say, I've not used Hope hubs before and my experience as a customer of theirs is limited. However, I have gotten replacement parts for a tandem I built recently which had their 6 pot brakes on them and Hope couldn't have been better customer-service wise!!

I'm leaning towards Hope but equally, I've not sussed out my budget yet. I can build wheels but might decide on hubs, rotors and nipples before building something so I can do it all in one go!

nicklej

Patreon
Oct 11, 2018
Camberley
Halo do coloured hubs I think, no experience of them though
Halo sponsor many skilled riders. I deal with ISON, who supply Halo in the shop so might pick up some bits at trade if I like what I see. Cheers for the suggestion!

Kangr

Patreon
Sep 14, 2018
Stoke on Trent
Blatant Plug
Burgtec do a wide range of colours. British company. We don't do hubs at the moment but a lot of people keep asking us for them so you never know.
the new silver and gold colours that we released last year have been very popular and silver just sells out soon as we have a new batch.

this is just a sample of the stem and top caps. (unfortunately there is only one silver there and its hidden at the back)

link to Burgtec website

burgtec-colours.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles