Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.6 DD(where to buy?)

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Does anyone know where you can buy a Maxxis High Roller II 27.5x2.6" DD?
I cant find them in 27.5 2.6 DD which they come out on the Giant reign E+1.
I have done a search but cant find that size with DD, I dont need one rite now but seams strange they dont come up in search

Cheers

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
If you want the tougher Maxxis casings, just get the 2.5 version

DD and DH casing tyres were designed primarily for DH racing and uplifted gravity riding.
You'll find Most DH racers still use 2.4 or 2.5 tyres for very good reason.
Mainly because a larger tyre than 2.5 offers no real advantage and the downside is increased weight.
A tyre tread designed to work well in a certain volume casing doesn't necessarily work as well, never mind better when the casing/tread is simply increased in volume/size.
The 2.6" size only became a thing because of... well... the gullibility of buyers really. Particularly the foolish ones who tried 2.8s when they became a thing and finally realised they handle awfully
Being "on trend" size for 2019 will probably be the main reason Giant chose to fit them as OE to your bike. The saddest part is being OE they probably took shortcuts on the construction and materials

Have a look at a ruler/tape measure and see how big a 0.1" difference in width actually is ;)

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand

DD and DH casing tyres were designed primarily for DH racing and uplifted gravity riding.
Mainly because a larger tyre than 2.5 offers no real advantage and the downside is increased weight.
A tyre tread designed to work well in a certain volume casing doesn't necessarily work as well, never mind better when the casing/tread is simply increased in volume/size.
The 2.6" size only became a thing because of... well... the gullibility of buyers really. Particularly the foolish ones who tried 2.8s when they became a thing and finally realised they handle awfully
Being "on trend" size for 2019 will probably be the main reason Giant chose to fit them as OE to your bike. The saddest part is being OE they probably took shortcuts on the construction and materials

Have a look at a ruler/tape measure and see how big a 0.1" difference in width actually is ;)

On my first ever mtb kona 153 2016, it had a dhf 2.3 on the front, when it was about half worn i replaced it with same tyre but in 2.5 and was a little gutted to find the casing was same size as the 2.3 in fact 0.5mm smaller! But did have larger blocks.

I was after the 2.6 in DD ,thinking it would be a good option for what I want.
Thanks for your input.

I can get the 2.5 no problem.

Reactions: MsO

Pascal Funk

Apr 2, 2020
France
[QUOTE = "Gary, poste: 157147, membre: 247"]
Principalement parce qu'un pneu plus gros que 2,5 n'offre aucun réel avantage et l'inconvénient est un poids accru.
[/ CITATION]
À moins que vous ne vouliez plus d'adhérence et de confort.

C'est vrai qu'il y a plus de "flou". Je pense qu'à partir de 2.6, il faut mettre une mousse ou avoir des côtés renforcés (DD ou SG / DH / Bike Park) ;)

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
On my first ever mtb kona 153 2016, it had a dhf 2.3 on the front, when it was about half worn i replaced it with same tyre but in 2.5 and was a little gutted to find the casing was same size as the 2.3 in fact 0.5mm smaller! But did have larger blocks.

I was after the 2.6 in DD ,thinking it would be a good option for what I want.
Thanks for your input.

I can get the 2.5 no problem.

Torpedo7 has a sale going on those tyres (buy one and get a second one for half price)... deemed essential items too, so they'll deliver during lockdown.

I got the 2.5s and they just arrived. They're lighter than I expected (0.90kg), whereas I thought they'd be heavier than the Contis they're replacing (1.02kg)... so I'm really pleased.

High Roller 01.jpg

High Roller 02.jpg

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
Torpedo7 has a sale going on those tyres (buy one and get a second one for half price)... deemed essential items too, so they'll deliver during lockdown.

I got the 2.5s and they just arrived. They're lighter than I expected (0.90kg), whereas I thought they'd be heavier than the Contis they're replacing (1.02kg)... so I'm really pleased.

View attachment 29078

View attachment 29079
Hey , I did see the sale at T7 , l really would like the 2.6 with the stronger side wall.
What model is that? Is that a range extender?
Nice work shop?

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Hey , I did see the sale at T7 , l really would like the 2.6 with the stronger side wall.
What model is that? Is that a range extender?
Nice work shop?
Maxxis High Roller 2 27.5 x 2.50 WT 3C/EXO/TR Maxx Terra
NZ$109.99 each pre-discount. I measured the width of the tyre installed and inflated and it’s 64mm from side knob to side knob.

Then there’s a TR/DD Maxx Terra version for NZ&129.99 each, but I don’t know what the difference is really. I just went for the cheaper one. :giggle:

I noticed that the High Roller IIs will rub-off and leave a dark mark on my concrete garage floor, so I’m guessing the compound is tackier than the Continentals. I’m expecting them to have better cornering traction on hard pack trails but could wear down a lot quicker over the odd pavement commuting that I do... time will tell.

I don’t ride hard so weight is more important to me. I still find it hard to believe that the 2.5 High Roller IIs with taller chunkier knobs are a tad lighter (0.90kg) than my previous 2.4 Contis (1.02kg). The sidewalls didn’t look or feel thinner by comparison.

Last edited:

Eddy Current

E*POWAH Master
Oct 20, 2019
NORTH Spain

Plus tires ain’t that bad if its a very rocky rooty loose trail, and theres more than that 0.1, extra width; more air volume=less pressure. But hey, i agree they kinda suck most of the time, to me only in the rear if you like to climb.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No. They do suck.
If you don't think so you're probably not riding those rocks n roots very quickly.

Shane(NZ)

Sep 4, 2019
NewZealand
^ oh btw... EVO Cycles has 2.6 and 2.8 High Rollers in stock!

Hey thanks,I did see them on evo site, I really would like a exo+ or up in 2.6 size
I'm just under 6'4" a little over 110kg with a 23kg+ bike,poor tyre has to take that! i'm after max grip and max protection/reliability the down side is weight/cost but I'm ok with that.

cheers

Last edited:

GrandPaBrogan

⚡ eGeezer ⚡
Oct 5, 2019
New Zealand
Hey thanks,I did see them on evo site, I really would like a exo+ or up in 2.6 size
I'm just under 6'4" a little over 110kg with a 23kg+ bike,poor tyre has to take that! i'm after max grip and max protection/reliability the down side is weight/cost but I'm ok with that.

cheers

All good Shane. Let us know how you get on with the 2.6 if you can get them.

Just an update on those Maxxis High Roller IIs that I got (27.5 x 2.50 WT 3C/EXO/TR Maxx Terra):
I've always thought very 'highly' of High Rollers (excuse the pun :ROFLMAO:) since the very beginning when I started taking mountain biking seriously. They are also excellent in shedding typical New Zealand trail mud which has a high clay content, where many off-road tyres would quickly clog-up solid. In saying that, I haven't used High Rollers in the last 10+ or so years because just before I went on a long cycling break, I was experimenting and trying out other tyre brands just when I put my bikes away for storage.

So today I take my Trance e+ out for some fresh air around our neighbourhood city streets (we're still on lockdown), and I was just pleasantly reminded of how QUIET its tread pattern is at speed over pavement. The chamfered leading edges on the centre knobs makes such a big difference. My 2.4 wide Continental Mountain Kings sound like air-raid sirens by comparison (although they're still my preference in 2.2 wide size for my other eBike). I also noticed that the 2.5 High Roller sidewalls feel uhh "bouncier?" for lack of a better word, so I could run on lower tyre pressures to mimic the 'feel' over bumps that I'm currently used to.

Can't wait to take them out on a proper trail...

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles