Tire wizards - do you think this can be patched?

RebornRider

May 31, 2019
NorCal USA
This is one of those really painful things that has probably happened to all of us. I glanced off a rock that I didn't see in the weeds (I got a bit off line after a drop!) and got a tiny puncture in a brand new Assegai. Less than 20 miles on the tire. I hoped my tire sealant would plug the hole, but instead I saw a slow but steady stream of tiny fizz bubbles. I guess the sealant isn't reaching the tear location. I did the "wheel wobble" after remounting the tire in an attempt to coat the tear with sealant.

The tear is just below the edge of the wheel rim, which has me thinking that a patch might work. I'm guessing there is not much flex at that location.

Would you guys trust a patch at this location for "50% agressive" riding? (small drops and jumps, some rock gardens)

LocationCubed.jpg

urastus

⚡The Whippet⚡
May 4, 2020
Tasmania
It's a small hole. I have a few tears (5-6mm) in a dhrII on the rear. I'm running a tannus so the tears don't bother me. If you're considering a tannus (or something like that) just in the rear, now could be a good time :)

pampmyride

Dec 28, 2020
Sussex Massif
Worth a try. I repaired similar with an HD patch internally, a little further up on the side wall. First ride on a new tyre of course...

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
I've had those before. Being actually a pretty small hole, a simple tire plug has never failed to seal it permanently for me even in spite of very aggressive descending through lava fields. So much easier and certainly worth a try since you don't even have to dismount the tire. I suppose it may depend on your weight however. I am a lightweight and if you are a Clydesdale then I suppose you might consider more aggressive treatment.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
Yep had exactly the same thing on a new tyre, I just glued a normal tube patch on the inside & it's all good.
Yep, just patch it up. If you were planning a big day out, miles from anywhere you might want to stick a new tyre on, but if it's just laps close to home/car I'd 100% risk a patched tyre.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles