• How to use this section. To the thread starter: Once you are satisfied with the answer that youve been given, click the Trophy on the left hand side of the message. This will rate this answer as the 'Best Answer' and will change the question status from 'Unanswerd' to 'Answered'. All members can also upvote an answer with the 'Up' arrow, this will help identify the best answer.

Threads stripped in cranks…

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
This isn’t eMTB related, but hopefully someone can point me in the right direction…

My mate has been borrowing my heavily upgraded 2017 Stumpjumper (Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Expert Carbon 6Fattie (2017) review - MBR) and coming out for rides with me. I’m on my Levo SL, with the power off.

Anyway… tonight, we were just about completing an 11 mile ride, and he said the pedal felt a bit weird. 5 mins later, he stopped - and pretty much pulled the pedal out of the crank. Both the thread on the pedal axel and inside the crank are ruined. He then pulled the other one, and it came out with little effort too. He only had to walk about half a mile back to the house thankfully.

IMG_5183.jpeg

I had upgraded that bike with Eagle X01 a few years back, so the cranks are carbon X01… but I’m not sure what the the fitment is.

2 questions…

How did this happen? Is it something he’s done? I’ve been riding bikes for a long time, and I’ve never seen this before.

What do I need to buy? The shop upgraded my whole bike groupset… so I don’t know what ‘type’ of crank this is other than an it’s a 170mm SRAM X01 carbon crank.

Clearly, I’m going to need a new set of cranks, and a set of new axels for the DMR Vaults that were on it (or some alternative pedals).

IMG_5186.jpeg
IMG_5188.jpeg
IMG_5185.jpeg

p3eps

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Dec 14, 2019
Scotland
The cranks have arrived back today, looking like new. The self extracting bolt kit arrived today… but doesn’t fit.
Measuring the original, I need M15 / M26 - with a round top M15 rather than flat.

I’m sure I can return the incorrect one to Amazon… and have ordered the correct one to collect from Halfords (not until Wednesday though). Seems very few people stock this size in the original SRAM configuration.

IMG_5420.jpeg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles