Levo Gen 2 Thoughts on levo motor failures

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Wanted to throw this out there because of so much moaning/grief in the forums over the Brose motor failures and many other brands of ebikes as well. My 2020 levo had a motor failure with the belt beginning to breaking down making the tickety-tick-tickety-tick sound that is typical of that problem at about 1000 miles of use. I am an aggressive rider who loves to climb god-awful steep hills with occasional bogging down in turbo, really putting a load on the motor. Made an audio recording of the sound and Specialized replaced the motor under warranty before breakdown as it was steadily getting worse. The bike was only in the shop one day.

Unfortunately, my replacement motor began making the same sound after only 200 miles-now getting steadily worse. Will be needing replacement soon. Date of manufacture was mid April 2020-was initially hoping that it was the newer motor with stronger belt that was being described online about then, but obviously not. Started thinking about what might have led to this situation. Came up with this:

GEN 1 levo Motor was very sturdy with few problems. Then came time to make a better, stronger, lighter motor. My thinking is, we know that the Brose people thought they had a winner with the new Gen 2 motor, manufactured a ton of them, and stockpiled them. Obviously the belt might have been one of the parts they lightened up, and if so that's a corner they should not have cut in retrospect.

However, as many of us in the forums have stated, it's early days for this E bike technology and problems are to be expected. To go on repeatedly moaning that you deserve a flawless product because of the amount of money it costs-that's just not realistic! Isn't that being an idealist demanding utopia which is nonexistent and never will be found. But at least we can hope the companies involved will take care of the problem.

Does it not seem that Specialized and Brose got together and decided the best way forward was to keep replacing warranty returns with the unimproved, stockpiled motors until the excess supply was finally exhausted (what, you expected them to throw them in the waste bin?), and since that would take several years, in order to do the right thing, extend the warranty on the '19/'20 bikes to 4 years cause it might take that long? No need to extend to 4 year warranty on the '21 bikes because the excess supply motors will have been exhausted before their 2 year warranty runs out. So they should stop worrying that they didn't get the 4 year warranty. They will be taken care of as well.

Brose's staff was absolutely smashed busy trying to design fixes for the GEN 2 motor's multiple failing parts & would not have had time to open up all of their stockpiled motors to fix them perfectly immediately. That's just not realistic thinking. Find me a company that would have been able, especially in the midst of a pandemic, to immediately hire a huge number of additional workers, immediately train them to open these motors up and replace the failed parts, parts that haven't even really been completely redesigned yet, and then give you your bulletproof replacement after your first motor died?

Then once the oversupply motors are exhausted, begin using the finally completed GEN 2 motor with stronger belts/sprague clutch/hardened crankshaft/better seals for water ingress/etc, reasonably hoping that their motors be bulletproof, since it has been long enough to pin down which parts fail. And they are so confident of this timing that with the rollout of the 2022 Levo model, Specialized seems to be guaranteeing that you WILL get this improved motor. They never actually guaranteed that on the earlier models, just said they were coming as quickly as possible, but sadly left us with that impression that we might be getting them in 2020.

We know that Specialized stands by their product and will take care of us. We need to just let it go, acknowledge the brutal reality of early days for this technology, and let this problem get worked through. Always failures in early days for new technologies. We bought into early days, we decided to be a beta tester (you did do your homework before your forked out all that money, right, and understood this, right?).

My LBS is nearby. If I lived 100 miles from the nearest shop where I would have to take the bike for repairs/warranties, knowing I was going to be a beta tester, I would I have bought a used GEN 1 levo as cheap as I could find for their reliability. One of my riding buddies wanted an Ebike 2 years ago, and he paid $2000 for a 2017 GEN 1model. He's never had a single problem, and he bought a rental levo from the LBS. They really get abused, but again- problem free.

The GEN 2 motor problems are not going to last forever. Quit whining, gut up, accept that you didn't do your homework, wait it out.

Last edited:

Miru

Oct 23, 2020
Romania
The problem is the pandemic aggravated everything( low supply and high waiting times) and so the customers are legitimately annoyed when they have to wait weeks for their replacements motors( and we are not even going into the fact that the constant "uncertainty" of sudden failure in the middle of a ride miles away from home is not something that can be compensated with the thought that Specialized is doing the best job they can to replace/warranty them). My point is that the concerns/complaints are legitimate but on the other hand i also agree that Specialized should also take kudos for trying to make it right for the customers(and in the majority of the cases also achieving it).

Dod Colony

Sep 28, 2020
Scotland
"Some time ago, it came to our attention that we were experiencing a small but unacceptable number of early-life failures in some of our Model Year 2019/20 Levo and 2020 Kenevo motors. Since then, we have worked relentlessly to drive a number of improvements to eliminate any issues. These have included steps to reduce noise, fitting a stronger belt, updates to the freewheel assembly and further optimizations to address strength and overall reliability.

All of these hardware-based improvements are featured on motors fitted to Model Year 2021 Levo & Kenevo.

To ensure peace of mind for you as a rider, we’re extending the motor warranty on impacted bikes from 2 to 4 years for all owners of Model Year 2019/20 Levo FSR and 2020 Kenevo from the date of purchase. This warranty is transferable should you decide to sell your bike."

I actually did my homework, or thought I had, this official statement from last year is the reason I didn't buy a 2020 and held out for a 2021 - with a motor build date of January 2020!!!
If what you're saying is true, and I think it probably is, then this statement from Specialized is very misleading to say the least?

Jeff McD

Aug 5, 2018
Kona, Hawaii
Wanted to throw this out there because of so much moaning/grief in the forums over the Brose motor failures and many other brands of ebikes as well. My 2020 levo had a motor failure with the belt beginning to breaking down making the tickety-tick-tickety-tick sound that is typical of that problem at about 1000 miles of use. I am an aggressive rider who loves to climb god-awful steep hills with occasional bogging down in turbo, really putting a load on the motor. Made an audio recording of the sound and Specialized replaced the motor under warranty before breakdown as it was steadily getting worse. The bike was only in the shop one day.

Unfortunately, my replacement motor began making the same sound after only 200 miles-now getting steadily worse. Will be needing replacement soon. Date of manufacture was mid April 2020-was initially hoping that it was the newer motor with stronger belt that was being described online about then, but obviously not. Started thinking about what might have led to this situation. Came up with this:

GEN 1 levo Motor was very sturdy with few problems. Then came time to make a better, stronger, lighter motor. My thinking is, we know that the Brose people thought they had a winner with the new Gen 2 motor, manufactured a ton of them, and stockpiled them. Obviously the belt might have been one of the parts they lightened up, and if so that's a corner they should not have cut in retrospect.

However, as many of us in the forums have stated, it's early days for this E bike technology and problems are to be expected. To go on repeatedly moaning that you deserve a flawless product because of the amount of money it costs-that's just not realistic! Isn't that being an idealist demanding utopia which is nonexistent and never will be found. But at least we can hope the companies involved will take care of the problem.

Does it not seem that Specialized and Brose got together and decided the best way forward was to keep replacing warranty returns with the unimproved, stockpiled motors until the excess supply was finally exhausted (what, you expected them to throw them in the waste bin?), and since that would take several years, in order to do the right thing, extend the warranty on the '19/'20 bikes to 4 years cause it might take that long? No need to extend to 4 year warranty on the '21 bikes because the excess supply motors will have been exhausted before their 2 year warranty runs out. So they should stop worrying that they didn't get the 4 year warranty. They will be taken care of as well.
"Some time ago, it came to our attention that we were experiencing a small but unacceptable number of early-life failures in some of our Model Year 2019/20 Levo and 2020 Kenevo motors. Since then, we have worked relentlessly to drive a number of improvements to eliminate any issues. These have included steps to reduce noise, fitting a stronger belt, updates to the freewheel assembly and further optimizations to address strength and overall reliability.

All of these hardware-based improvements are featured on motors fitted to Model Year 2021 Levo & Kenevo.

To ensure peace of mind for you as a rider, we’re extending the motor warranty on impacted bikes from 2 to 4 years for all owners of Model Year 2019/20 Levo FSR and 2020 Kenevo from the date of purchase. This warranty is transferable should you decide to sell your bike."

I actually did my homework, or thought I had, this official statement from last year is the reason I didn't buy a 2020 and held out for a 2021 - with a motor build date of January 2020!!!
If what you're saying is true, and I think it probably is, then this statement from Specialized is very misleading to say the least?
I agree with your comment 100%. I was really disappointed my second motor is going now as well and has obviously not got the beefed up belt and other improvements. Thanks for looking up that quote and correcting my post.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
I can see why there might be some disparity over dates here. Firstly I do not believe anyone in Specialized is involved in the engineering of Brose motors other than at a discussion level with Brose. The only proprietary part of the Brose set up by Specialized is the software and TCU.
Brose will work to a production or financial year, which will either be Jan to Dec or April to March, not a marketing product year (which typically consists of launch 6 months in advance of the actual calender year).
In terms of stock Specialized would not tie up capital purchasing stock in excess of its predicted production schedule, neither would a factory want to store more than was needed for their build schedule..........although it could be the case that disrupted production due to the pandemic had some impact.
The point at which Brose motors included all the upgrades would have been when those upgraded bearings and belt etc were fed into the production line which could be one of several to meet various contracts with various Brose motor types. The production line for the Specialized contract would likely be initiated in January for bikes due to be launched mid year.
My guess is that the production run starting Jan 21 for MY22 bikes will all have the fully upgraded motors.

hbakken

Nov 27, 2018
Norway
How can I check that my replaced motor are the improved one? Where do I see the production date? Got replacement in Q3-20.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
The serial number of the motor can be seen on MC. Somewhere on the forum ( you need to search) a person knew how to translate that to state the production date. Even so that does not tell you definitively what components were used in that motor. As a bove my thoughts are that a Brose production run started in 2021 for MY 2022 bikes to be released August 2021 are the most likely to be the fully upgraded motors. Motors with production dates in 2020 may have some of the updates. Keep in mind the vast majority of motors with none of those upgrades are still operating without faults.

Dustjunky

Nov 11, 2020
Derby

Brose's staff was absolutely smashed busy trying to design fixes for the GEN 2 motor's multiple failing parts & would not have had time to open up all of their stockpiled motors to fix them perfectly immediately. That's just not realistic thinking. Find me a company that would have been able, especially in the midst of a pandemic, to immediately hire a huge number of additional workers, immediately train them to open these motors up and replace the failed parts, parts that haven't even really been completely redesigned yet, and then give you your bulletproof replacement after your first motor died?

Then once the oversupply motors are exhausted, begin using the finally completed GEN 2 motor with stronger belts/sprague clutch/hardened crankshaft/better seals for water ingress/etc, reasonably hoping that their motors be bulletproof, since it has been long enough to pin down which parts fail. And they are so confident of this timing that with the rollout of the 2022 Levo model, Specialized seems to be guaranteeing that you WILL get this improved motor. They never actually guaranteed that on the earlier models, just said they were coming as quickly as possible, but sadly left us with that impression that we might be getting them in 2020.

We know that Specialized stands by their product and will take care of us. We need to just let it go, acknowledge the brutal reality of early days for this technology, and let this problem get worked through. Always failures in early days for new technologies. We bought into early days, we decided to be a beta tester (you did do your homework before your forked out all that money, right, and understood this, right?).

My LBS is nearby. If I lived 100 miles from the nearest shop where I would have to take the bike for repairs/warranties, knowing I was going to be a beta tester, I would I have bought a used GEN 1 levo as cheap as I could find for their reliability. One of my riding buddies wanted an Ebike 2 years ago, and he paid $2000 for a 2017 GEN 1model. He's never had a single problem, and he bought a rental levo from the LBS. They really get abused, but again- problem free.

The GEN 2 motor problems are not going to last forever. Quit whining, gut up, accept that you didn't do your homework, wait it out.
Well put mate ...could not agree more ...at last someone who knows there stuff ?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles