THIS,,,, IS TAKING THE MICK!!!!

Pdoz

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
I literally froze when I was in a bike shop overhearing a conversation between a customer and a salesman. The chap in question brought two Cube Stereo Hybrid 140's for himself and his partner and stated (and I quate), 'neither of us have ever ridden a bike before ?'.

Now, I'm no salesman. But, if you heard that (as a salesman), would you really feel comfortable selling two full fat emtb's to new recruits of the sport who've never ridden a bike before?

I'm not joking, I was genuinely waiting for some form of intervention to occur but lickedy-split, they bought the bikes without question.

Is this the world we now live in?

You're right, it's time for an intervention.

So why do you feel so uncomfortable that this guy bought identical bikes for himself and his partner?
Issues with equality?
His sexuality?
Jealous of his partner?

My bet us the shop was too cold ? Climate change, definitely , yup, this IS the world we live in.

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
For sure, I would put someone new to MTB on an eBike. Actually that's exactly what I did after a 15 year break and what I did with my son and my girlfriend. Both ride eBikes. Why would I put them in a place where it's harder than it needs to be? That's just a good way to have them ride once and never again.

Gordon

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Huh!!!!!
@Pdoz & @flash , I think you guys have missed the point.

What I'm conveying is that due to shortage of availability, we're potentially seeing new members take to the sport buy buying bikes which have cost them more than necessary just to get into the sport.

Not to sure what equality or a riders sexual preference has to do with this (I'd rather leave economics out of this).

Besides, the chap and his partner who brought the bikes may feel more inclined to learn how to ride and keep it going. The potential negative from that however, is that they've taken up an expensive hobby.

Pdoz

Feb 16, 2019
Maffra Victoria Australia
Huh!!!!!

What I'm conveying is that due to shortage of availability, we're potentially seeing new members take to the sport buy buying bikes which have cost them more than necessary just to get into the sport.

Not to sure what equality or a riders sexual preference has to do with this (I'd rather leave economics out of this).

Besides, the chap and his partner who brought the bikes may feel more inclined to learn how to ride and keep it going. The potential negative from that however, is that they've taken up an expensive hobby.

Nah, we're just struggling to understand why you are so uncomfortable.

Why does " buy buying" bother you so much?

Or the fact they are more likely to get hooked on an expensive hobby by buying something decent rather than starting on a single speed rim braked monstrosity.

I'm all in favour of rich people buying exotic bikes they might not need. Some of those bikes can be passed on to the worthy , others will sit in climate controlled storage facilities and be barn finds when the energy apocalypse kicks in. Either way, that couple just subsidised the purchase of cheaper bikes at the store - the salesperson is a modern robbing hood

Rosemount

E*POWAH Elite
May 23, 2020
Qld Australia
I get that @Doomanic . Really, I do.
But the incident just took me by surprise that's all.
It's one thing to hear/read about it. Its another to see it yourself.

Makes you wonder how much new riders are spending just to get a bike nowadays due to availability.

Neeko Lots of people buy EMTBs and never see a black diamond trail .
Many people commute on Full sus EMTBs . Check the pic of the day thread . Lots of tarmac and grassy lanes .

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Neeko Lots of people buy EMTBs and never see a black diamond trail .
Many people commute on Full sus EMTBs . Check the pic of the day thread . Lots of tarmac and grassy lanes .
Fair point @Rosemount .

I'm beginning to see the light.

Apologies for anyone who's taken offence (was not my intention).

I'm just perplexed that's all.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
My Dad bought me my first bike when I was 10, a 27” Falcon (a very lucky boy?). I wasn’t very tall, so I had to kinda hop along beside it with one foot on a peddle and jump up. Fortunately, I’d learnt how to stay on using a mate’s much smaller bike.

I had to peddle standing which, in retrospect, was good off road practice, not least because that’s where we rode most of the time — got good at repairing the inner tubes!

Thinking about that sales person, I can say I have been forever grateful for my Da’s ‘deep-end’ policies ???

EDIT: One of my kids has just pointed out I may have inherited some of my Dad’s traits and added some choice feedback….. In my defence, both had thrown their training wheels away by 3yrs, one by 2 1/2yrs and are still riding now ???

Last edited:

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
How hard can it be? Just look at it, it's chuffing obvious.
I think a lot of people end up pulling the direction lever the wrong way at the wrong time and drop everything to the ground in "neutral" .. Plus they're heavy enough to damage yourself just hefting them about. The nonce you have a vehicle 1m off the ground to "cast" in the direction you want, if you're inexperienced it can get messy :)

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
I think a lot of people end up pulling the direction lever the wrong way at the wrong time and drop everything to the ground in "neutral" .. Plus they're heavy enough to damage yourself just hefting them about. The nonce you have a vehicle 1m off the ground to "cast" in the direction you want, if you're inexperienced it can get messy :)
It's marked on the frame, just need two brain cells. Heavy? Naah.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
IF you know how to use it, otherwise a deadly!
They scare the bejeebers out of me… it’s bad enough when I’m underneath, but I’m such a clutz it’s worse when I’m nearby and somebody else is under…

The truth is, when I’m nearby one, nobody that knows me dates to go under ???

#lazy

E*POWAH BOSS
Oct 1, 2019
Surrey
Them folks are the salesperson’s dream but if they’d steered them onto 2 anolog hardtails I would of sacked him/her ☺️

remosito

Aug 25, 2020
switzerland
cube 140s aren't exactly high-end. Unless it was the ActionTeam or SLT versions?

The race/sl are solid fullies at a decent price. Fullies are both more comfortable (once rode a ht on loan and got headache) and will feel way more safe if newbies start to explore a bit of terrain beyond forrest/fire roads...

120s would do the initial job too. but will be outgrown much faster and fun and safe feeling will stop earlier too. Exceeding the shocks capability is rather scary if not used to it. For a few hundred buck savings. Not worth it unless money really is tight imo...

Having a good tool always ups the chance an activity will actually be enjoyed. And while there is "too much tool for the job". Lower range 140s ain't too much tool in my book.

(hadn't ridden a bike in 20 years. Bought a used 160/150 fully last summer. SO glad didn't go ht or cheaped out on 100mm lowend "fullies")

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
For some people a fat is a novelty.
For some people an Ebike is a novelty.
Maybe someone they know said they are cool.
Now 2 more cool humans, lets celebrate.
Maybe they will realise they do not have throttles . . .
OOPS !

flash

Patreon
Nov 24, 2018
Wamberal, NSW Australia
Huh!!!!!

I didn't buy the bike I need. I bought the bike I wanted. That may be more bike than I need, but I don't give a shit. I worked hard. I can afford any bike I want. These people may be the same. Anyone on this forum who upgraded to AXS, or bought XT brakes instead of Deore is in the same boat. Some people buy a bike based on the colour.

And really, once you've spent 4K what's another 500?

Gordon

1oldfart

Oct 6, 2019
Outdoors
Part of it is the plastic syndrome. Wich so much stuff on credit in my area that
includes groceries. Many do not care about managing their money.
In their mind, if the credit company allows the transaction it means
i am not over buying. I am sure only the minority knows the price of the
last car they got.
People who cannot afford the 1,500$ bike they want buy the 2,000$ bike because
divided monthly they will not have any problem.

Banktramp

Jul 13, 2019
West Midlands
Picture this people.
Imagine that your first bike which you use to learn how to ride a bike 'is an ebike'.

I literally froze when I was in a bike shop overhearing a conversation between a customer and a salesman. The chap in question brought two Cube Stereo Hybrid 140's for himself and his partner and stated (and I quate), 'neither of us have ever ridden a bike before ?'.

Now, I'm no salesman. But, if you heard that (as a salesman), would you really feel comfortable selling two full fat emtb's to new recruits of the sport who've never ridden a bike before?

I'm not joking, I was genuinely waiting for some form of intervention to occur but lickedy-split, they bought the bikes without question.

Is this the world we now live in?
Now I’m a sales manager and I would have sacked him, for missing such a good opportunity to sell them two bikes each with lifetime extended warranty which cost twice as much as the bikes, all the gear and RAC breakdown cover.

Shame on that salesman ?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Now I’m a sales manager and I would have sacked him, for missing such a good opportunity to sell them two bikes each with lifetime extended warranty which cost twice as much as the bikes, all the gear and RAC breakdown cover.

Shame on that salesman ?
You do bring a smile to my face @Banktramp ?.
Just watched your last two vids as well. Lookin steeze bruh!! ⚡?

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
I'm sure everyone who owns a England football shirt is getting called up for England..

Fair play too them if they enjoy mtb'ing and really get into it they save a lot of going through 'upgrades'.

I had this experience with tools buying cheapish hobby stuff just made the experience worse. I heeded the buy cheap buy twice advice and I dropped some serious cash on top of the line stuff way way above my then skill level. I thank myself every time I use them because I'll never need to upgrade and I enjoy using quality items vs swearing my way through a project.

Coolcmsc

Oct 29, 2019
U.K.
…..I dropped some serious cash on top of the line stuff way way above my then skill level. I thank myself every time I use them because I'll never need to upgrade and I enjoy using quality items vs swearing my way through a project.
And the only thing I’d add to this is:- ”Look after quality tools properly” — including bikes.

It can be hard to stick to a decent service schedule when everything is working OK and some are vocal about how they have some kind of superpower of being able to ride to the moon and back without any servicing. Like blood pressure tablets: hard to keep taking them, especially as some have side effects and often blood pressure has no symptoms — all’s well until it isn’t…

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Last time I checked, 'muscle weights more than fat'.
You cannot convince me that 'generally, a particular body type has an inherent advantage over another IN ANY SPORT including mtb/emtb.
I appreciate the thought to determine how much amps the motor is pulling in peak conditions but surely, there is more to this calculation than by implementing a homemade rolling road.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles