Thinking Derailleur upgrade

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
I have a 2018 Turbo Levo and I'm thinking of replacing my (now bent) derailleur (SRAM NX) with a SRAM X1... any thoughts, comments or recommendations?

Reactions: CjP

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
Even a SRAM GX will do the job. The X1 is built with better quality materials and is 9 grams lighter.
The biggest downfall with the SRAM is the wheel the cable wraps around. They have a plastic bush in there that is prone to ingress and it jams and gives poor shifting.
Bike Yoke does a replacement wheel with bearing. The NX wheel is rivited on and the GX and above is bolt in and replaceable with the Bike Yoke unit.
The x1 shifter feels slightly better than the GX and Much better than the NX. But your NX has one shift at a time feature which is invaluable on a ebike. These one shift at a time shifter can be had in GX and X1 but are hard to come by.

I’d just replace the mech with a GX and with the dollars saved on the X1, get a Bike Yoke Shifty

42C0E8DB-AC22-4B5A-B359-BB88E1D9E0A6.png

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Even a SRAM GX will do the job. The X1 is built with better quality materials and is 9 grams lighter.
The biggest downfall with the SRAM is the wheel the cable wraps around. They have a plastic bush in there that is prone to ingress and it jams and gives poor shifting.
Bike Yoke does a replacement wheel with bearing. The NX wheel is rivited on and the GX and above is bolt in and replaceable with the Bike Yoke unit.
The x1 shifter feels slightly better than the GX and Much better than the NX. But your NX has one shift at a time feature which is invaluable on a ebike. These one shift at a time shifter can be had in GX and X1 but are hard to come by.

I’d just replace the mech with a GX and with the dollars saved on the X1, get a Bike Yoke Shifty

View attachment 16932
great advice!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Always an interesting subject. Me, I have trashed a GX on a regular bike due to the cage being alloy and not able to handle the load I was putting on it. The NX has a stamped steel cage and while slightly heavier (50g) is IMHO stronger and better suited to eMTB. For chain I use GX as it has a harder coating.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
NX has one shift at a time feature which is invaluable on a ebike.
do you genuinely believe this?
I find being restricted to ONE shift hellish. Just don't shift under power. (same as on any bike TBH)

If looking for a performance gain I'd usually recommend upgrading the shifter over the mech (assuming mid level mech, and both are working fine)

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
do you genuinely believe this?
I find being restricted to ONE shift hellish. Just don't shift under power. (same as on any bike TBH)

If looking for a performance gain I'd usually recommend upgrading the shifter over the mech (assuming mid level mech, and both are working fine)
Gary, no I personally don’t believe it to be an invaluable feature for myself. Tho for the masses it can be as shifting 3 gears under load can cause problems for the untrained punters.
I’m happy to upgrade my shifter when
I get around to smashing it off the bars.

The op has a bent rear mech, so yeah, should look at upgrading it. Even tho a shifter upgrade would trump it.

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
Gary, no I personally don’t believe it to be an invaluable feature for myself. Tho for the masses it can be as shifting 3 gears under load can cause problems for the untrained punters.
I’m happy to upgrade my shifter when
I get around to smashing it off the bars.

The op has a bent rear mech, so yeah, should look at upgrading it. Even tho a shifter upgrade would trump it.

I like the one shift at a time... however I think it's like most things.... whatever you use every day is what you get used too...

grantini

E*POWAH Master
May 7, 2019
Delaware
so my LBS advised me (after straightening my deraillieur and hanger out) that there is relatively significant wear throughout the drive train. He advised riding it until it breaks, at which point I'll need to replace rear cartridge, front ring, derailleur and chain. I can live with that...

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
so my LBS advised me (after straightening my deraillieur and hanger out) that there is relatively significant wear throughout the drive train. He advised riding it until it breaks, at which point I'll need to replace rear cartridge, front ring, derailleur and chain. I can live with that...

Start shopping around to get the best prices you can on sales ect, as there can be some substantial savings to be made. I recently had to replace all my drivetrain and saved a heap because I had a few months to source the cheapest components I wanted.

Can I recommend
SRAM pg1130 cassette 11-42t.
SRAM pc1130 chain.
Worth tooth stainless steel chainring 104 bcd, 32t.
SRAM GX derailleur.
Bike Yoke Shifty

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles