Thinking of selling my Bike.

Kiwibloke

Feb 27, 2021
Kent
As I said above Im thinking of selling my Turbo Levo as I haven't used it for a while, but I have a question, How? like what do you do when a potential buyer what's to take it for a test ride? then two days later im still standing in a car park somewhere wondering where my bike is?

Jag009

Sep 9, 2022
Loch lomond
If they are a real buyer they wont mind bringing a passport or drivers licence along with recent proof of address , same as you have to do if hiring or buying a car etc etc ,just explain its the world we live in nowadays ,and as i said if they are legit they will understand

Arminius

Subscriber
Jul 26, 2022
Rhein-Ruhr Delta, Germany
Hi,
personal ID should be no prob for really interested buyer. A parking house or fenced area might be fine for test ride if you can control the exit.

To be safe when taking cash I purchased this small machine for checking (and counting) bank notes: Safescan
Not cheap but working well and good invested money to not get f*cked with fake money when dealing with larger amounts. Watch out with people paying by direct bank transfer and showing „done transactions“ in app. As long as monies are not on your bank account / in your phone and app the bike should not leave.

kombos

Dec 18, 2019
Arizona
I once tested a bike at a guy‘s business address. He asked to hold my truck keys while I rode the bike around the parking lot.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
My LBS volunteered to let me use his shop as the meeting point. That way the buyer for my Focus Jam2 could ask the LBS guy what he thinks etc and the buyer has no idea where I live. The buyer came on the train and I picked him up from the station and drove him to the LBS. He did a quick test ride outside to ensure it fitted him and then we walked to the bank to get the cash. (Along the way I sold him the TEC pack!). I dropped him and bike off at the railway station. I gave the LBS guy £50 for a drink for him and the staff. He objected but I insisted. The buyer told me that he thought being able to talk to the LBS guy without me being there was a bonus (I had stepped outside to enable that).

It worked so well that I did the same again with my grandson's bike (Ragley Marley 1.0). The buyer and his wife drove to the shop from a town about 30 miles away and were suitably impressed with the bike and the comments from the LBS guy. The bike was for their son and they didn't test ride it. Cash was paid. Commission offered and insisted upon again.

Cash, cash, cash. Nothing else.
If they want to do a long test ride, the answer is no. What if they damage it? What if they say they were mugged?

There is no pleasing some people. I did a deal with a guy (Whyte T-130 CRS) at a trail centre half way between where we lived. He was a heavy fit guy and he ran it ragged for 7 miles around a very sandy trail (me on my emtb). He paid cash and told me that he was absolutely delighted with the bike. Two weeks later he complained that the brake pads needed replacing! He whinged that he had thought I was an honest guy and he was soooooo disappointed in me. I told him that brake pads are consumable items and that I carry them in my pack. If the pads had needed replacing during the test ride, I would have done it there and then at no extra charge. Miserable git.

PS: eBay have advice to sellers on how to protect themselves in these circumstances.

Last edited:

RustyMTB

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jul 22, 2020
UK
Last time I sold a bike, I made the guy give me his phone & keys while he disappeared off on a test ride.

onosendai

Jun 30, 2020
Italy
Having the car keys and the buyer's documents is sometimes not enough, the documents were fake and the car just stolen, which happened here long ago.
But I have sold 4 bikes in the last few years and nobody asked me to try them, they weren't electric ok.

MountainBoy

Mar 4, 2022
Washington State, USA
I once tested a bike at a guy‘s business address. He asked to hold my truck keys while I rode the bike around the parking lot.
Since the general consensus seems to be that everyone you encounter has a significant chance of being sketchy these days, how did you know that as soon as you hopped on his bike and started for the far end of the parking lot, that he wasn't going to jump in your truck and drive off?

It works both ways and the truck was probably worth more than the bicycle!

Last edited:

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
Had mostly good experiences with selling bikes and one interesting experience with an extreme low-baller.
Police officer from the next town. Left his car and keys with me. Paid asking price.(cash). I gave him some extra stuff (peddles, pocket tools etc). Easy.

Future Triathlete arrived with her family. Fitted the bike for her (tall 15yr old). They paid asking price.(Cash). Gave her some extra stuff too. Easy.

Then I had the “lowballer”. He offered several hundred dollars less than asking price. I replied with a new price …several hundred dollars more than my asking price. He decided to pay my asking price …cash. I didn’t include any extra stuff.

mak

🦷
Dec 27, 2019
uk
All good advice above, i think the main issue might actually be getting a buyer :rolleyes: . Not many buying at the moment so stick it up hear and good luck (y)

Paulquattro

E*POWAH Elite
May 7, 2020
The Darkside
No cash !!!!!
There's too much bent money around
Bank transfers only for me
No counting no looking for iffy notes.

The LBS idea is good thou if they will accommodate.

unclezz

May 3, 2020
CZ
Then maybe I live in the perfect world.

I sold recently two bikes and gave the option to the guys to ride around without asking anything to make sure they were not running away. When they came to the appointment they were clearly bikers like us, checking the bike with me, asking questions about the usage and so on. Let's face it... if they want to steal a bike they don't generally come to show their a**. They generally try to arrange a fake agreement without even meeting.

I prefer to trust people who personally come to check the bike. And I never had an issue (not only with bikes honestly). The majority of the people are good. I prefer to think positive.

Daiemtb

Feb 12, 2021
South wales
I have a Trek Rail 9 2021 for sale if anyone is interested. Under 600 miles on the clock. Good condition 🙂

20220811_114719.jpg

Moshe

Feb 12, 2020
North Ridgeville, ohio,usa
As I said above Im thinking of selling my Turbo Levo as I haven't used it for a while, but I have a question, How? like what do you do when a potential buyer what's to take it for a test ride? then two days later im still standing in a car park somewhere wondering where my bike is?
Go to a police station and ask if it is alright if you can make the transition there in front of an officer.

Binhill1

🍊 Tango Man 🍊
Mar 7, 2019
Scotland
Wow scary and untrustworthy places you people live in . I sold a custom Triumph Scrambler a couple of years ago . The lad that bought it from Yorkshire put the money in my account two days before he had even seen the bike .

Barbara_Reed

Oct 18, 2020
FR
I sold a pair of trikes last month. The purchaser met me at my home, rode both with his wife. So his car was outside my home, and worth more than the trikes we agreed a price and he did a bank transfer which wasn't instant as this was a Saturday. I delivered them two days later
So he trusted me. Works both ways. Plus they gave me a very good lunch. Not everyone is a thief. Trust in God but keep your powder dry.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles