Derailleur lifespan?

Blue Moon

Apr 17, 2019
North Manchester
My wife’s Rail 7 is now upto about 2300 miles and has been faultless. Recently the derailleur has started to stick when going up the gears I.e. big gear to small gear. Is it time for a derailleur change or is it a serviceable item?

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
My wife’s Rail 7 is now upto about 2300 miles and has been faultless. Recently the derailleur has started to stick when going up the gears I.e. big gear to small gear. Is it time for a derailleur change or is it a serviceable item?

I had the same, a sticking derailleur. I have covered 2200-ish KM. I decided to buy a new one. Massive difference and back to smooth changes. Did nothing with cables.

Growmac

Subscriber
Dec 4, 2020
Wilts, UK
My XT 12-spd mech is remarkably floppy after 14 months and about 3k. Shift is okay-ish, but I'm not very impressed.

Last edited:

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
You may clean and lube the cables and they will work as new again. The shifters are not serviceable and should be replaced if the internal sprckets loose the precision they need to have because its theyr duty to have the guide pulley at the right position to drive the chain to the cassete. Only the pulleys: the tension and guide ones are consumable at the deraileur the other parts are flat metal plates and springs that will last forever if you dont hit then.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles