changing the derailleur

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
My wife Haibike hardseven 1.0 has had a pretty poor gear change from day one, its been back to the shop a few times to get it looked at. Now, i had a play with it the other day and have made it a lot better, before it would only go into 1 to 5 and not 6 to 9... now it goes in all gears but sometimes misses one or just won't engage.

im thinking maybe just replace the derailleur but its quite a basic one, if im replacing it, i would rather upgrade it. what are my options? i don't mind a bit of work just want her to be happy on her bike.

thanks

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
its a Shimano Altus M2000.... 9 speed.

I think ive found the problem. the cable tensioner is bent, i bent it back but slowly loosing its position again... thats not helping.
Strange...
Even low end (which yours really isn't) Shimano mechs index very well. If your chain and cassette are still in good condition, the hanger is straight, then it can only be a damaged derailleur and/or worn shifter, if I were you, I'd replace both to be on the safe side.

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
im going to replace the derailleur, this has always been rubbish at gear selecting, if its the cable tensioner not doing its job that wouldn't help, i can't replace just that part so its got to be new.... i would like to upgrade, how easy would that be?

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
If the tensioner is bent, the inner cable is likely to be bent as well. Cubie's advice is sound.
Sorry,I must have called it the wrong thing... it’s the chrome bit on the derailleur that the cable gets screwed on to.... not the cable.

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Sorry,I must have called it the wrong thing... it’s the chrome bit on the derailleur that the cable gets screwed on to.... not the cable.

Got a picture? That shouldn’t really effect the shifting, its just holding the cable. Be annoying if you change the mech and discover it was just a cable needing replaced or something. ??

Kentrider

Jun 30, 2019
Kent
Got a picture? That shouldn’t really effect the shifting, its just holding the cable. Be annoying if you change the mech and discover it was just a cable needing replaced or something. ??
9FCBDF1C-8E1A-4092-A11C-7A0D055EC14C.jpeg

Cubie

Feb 19, 2020
Fife, Scotland
Not the same mech, but this shows what I mean. ? Hopefully its as simple a fix as it looks from that pic. It’ll be snagging the cableas you release tension, that’ll be why its not liking the lower gears.
2962049E-AEE5-48A8-82F7-A1D3D8C5B1FC.jpeg

Darren66

Mar 7, 2020
uk
Cables routed round the wrong side mate, it should be on the right of that bolt being clamped by that protruding part of the washer I think. That solves the alignment of it as well.
Yes, does look to be routed wrongly, if that wasn't noticed when you took it to your local bike shop, chances are it was they who did it.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles