Things you should never see on an eMTB

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
Nordstroem on eMTB.jpg

A 25Wh battery sitting next to a 700Wh battery. Utterly ludicrous. Just because Specialized does not offer a way to charge your phone/gps from the bike.

Other manufacturers manage it, e.g. this nice solution from Canyon:
1606732044785.png

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It would be nice if there was a dedicated usb power source, but @palkox used the rear light port to rig one up :

You could have done the same ? I take it you decided an external power supply was easier ?

In fairness, many of the newer phones/GPS seem to have much longer battery lives.

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
You could have done the same ? I take it you decided an external power supply was easier ?

In fairness, many of the newer phones/GPS seem to have much longer battery lives.
Not yet as the bike is leased and not really mine for the first three years. Also not keen to bugger up the warranty. If the LBS (a Specialized Concept Store) was willing to fit it, I'd pay them to do it, but as far as they are concerned, there is no solution "approved" by Specialized.

I'm looking into it again as I was on a tour last weekend where I was responsible for navigating, so the screen was on full blast the whole time. Died after two hours.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
It's a shame the Turbo connect display doesn't feature a USB port as that would be another way for people to achieve it.

The TCU has a USB port, for dealers to connect to the TCU - I've no idea if this also has live power as on most USB systems.

I think the TCU and other display systems all operate at 36v so the (third party on other brose bikes) ones with a USB port step the voltage down to 5v. Even the default "Brose" display has a USB port. Presumably, the TCU is working in the same way, so the USB port is probably live as a power supply or am I missing something ? The default Brose systems supports "USB Battery Charging Standard BC1.2 Max. 1,0A"

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany

palkox

Oct 4, 2020
Norway
I have a very successful setup on my Turbo Levo Comp 2020. As described in linked post above. Its very easy. just bought at ACDC converter to usb from Amazon. And make sure you order the correct 3-pin plug for rear light port. And now I have front light in front light port and usb charger for my iPhone in the rear port. Only bit of work was to route the cables. Its tight. My iPhone is mounted to handlebar with quad lock and on longer trips - 2-3 hours I have a fully charged iPhone X running Blevo and Strava! I also wash my bike almost every day with garden hose. Never had a problem. Used black electrician tape around the plugs and cables. Couldn't be happier.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
It's a shame the Turbo connect display doesn't feature a USB port as that would be another way for people to achieve it.

The TCU has a USB port, for dealers to connect to the TCU - I've no idea if this also has live power as on most USB systems.

I think the TCU and other display systems all operate at 36v so the (third party on other brose bikes) ones with a USB port step the voltage down to 5v. Even the default "Brose" display has a USB port. Presumably, the TCU is working in the same way, so the USB port is probably live as a power supply or am I missing something ? The default Brose systems supports "USB Battery Charging Standard BC1.2 Max. 1,0A"

High Rock Ruti

Hey Zimm

I charge my phone at home......?

Warm Regards Ruti

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
High Rock Ruti

Hey Zimm

I charge my phone at home......?

Warm Regards Ruti
Me Too :)

I think some people run Garmin's or run their phone with Blevo, mapping, Mission Control. My present phone seems to last days, but my old one would go flat in a couple of hours or less with Blevo running motor control and the screen on. So I can understand some people's needs to auxiliary power.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I have gorilla tape on my Eeb. holding a mudflap in place to stop debris getting to an entry point in my frame and slowly killing my motors connectors.

I rarely ever even use a phone/GPS when riding. Nevermind need to charge one during a 3hr electric assisted ride.
Get a better phone/GPS unit

D

Deleted member 7464

When you said things that shouldn't be seen on an emtb I thought you meant a pantomime horse in a bright shade of skyblue pink with a raging case of piles and a squinty left eye.

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
Battery bars instead of percentage. Apple did it to us with the iPhone X (have to pull down from the corner to see percent now) and eebs have repeated this mistake too!
You're so right. Just give me the %. I know where I am then. At least offer the option rather than the bars so the user can chose.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
It's called dumbing down!
There's a fine line between dumbing down and sensible simplification. I'm a fan of the latter - but I made my living for 20 odd years breaking down complex legal issues into explanations that "The Man In The Street" could understand.

Think of it like Colin Chapman's design ethos: simplify and add lightness - doesn't that sound like a good recipe for a better bike?

:cool:

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
There's a fine line between dumbing down and sensible simplification. I'm a fan of the latter - but I made my living for 20 odd years breaking down complex legal issues into explanations that "The Man In The Street" could understand.

Think of it like Colin Chapman's design ethos: simplify and add lightness - doesn't that sound like a good recipe for a better bike?

:cool:
I had a similar problem when explaining stuff to the directors at where I worked. It was outside their area of expertise, But hey, they were all bright people, so if I failed to explain it so that they could understand, then it was my problem. And if I made it too simple an explanation then I insulted their intelligence and that was definitely my problem. :unsure:

jimbob

Aug 3, 2020
East UK
I had a similar problem when explaining stuff to the directors at where I worked. It was outside their area of expertise, But hey, they were all bright people, so if I failed to explain it so that they could understand, then it was my problem. And if I made it too simple an explanation then I insulted their intelligence and that was definitely my problem. :unsure:
Sounds a lot like my job!

Although I often say if you can't explain the concept to someone, you don't really understand it yourself.

There is always an exception to the rule though... although assuming people can't read a percentage may be taking it a bit far!

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles