There are no stupid questions...but...

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I am going to test this theory. Here's my stupid question...

Has anyone put a 31.8mm bar on a bike with a 35mm stem without installing a different stem? I have a set of 31.8mm carbon bars I want to put on a bike that has a 35mm stem. I figured maybe wrapping the bar in silicone tape or even cutting some plastic tubing and putting this around the bar to make it fit in the 35mm stem. I ride single track with very few if any jumps or drops. Ok...how friggin dumb am I? Let it rip.

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
Phenomenally. Hope that helps. 👍

Have you got a good dental plan? Stems are a lot cheaper than teeth.
A split aluminium sleeve, machined to tight tolerances might be ok, but will likely cost more than a new stem.

Yeah...I figured as much. I had braces as a kid, plus I'm pretty. Rather not screw this up...lol. I am just going to buy 35mm bars and be done with it. Looking for more rise than the stockers. I had a spare carbon bar, but it fits my Trek, not Husky.

Thanks for chiming in and saving my face.

L666GTB

Aug 17, 2021
Isle of Wight
I’ve used quality shims in seatposts. But unsure if I would trust them in a bar situation…

Don’t use plastic or silicone!!!

Change of stem is a cheap option, does a friend have one with a 31.8mm clamp you can borrow to try?

If not some shims like this are available online:

65526B96-E3F2-447B-939F-B6CFCA7A8315.png

MOTO13

Sep 16, 2020
Elkhorn, Wi
I just ordered new bars (35mm) from Amazon. I want to get a new stem also, just not sure what size my Husky has. I think it's 40mm.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles