The Cost Of Charging

Monkey Dog

Jun 4, 2020
Derbyshire
I was thinking the other day how much it costs for me to fully charge my battery from empty (well almost).
Obviously it depends on your supplier, economy seven, country etc.
I refuse to have a smart meter. Has anyone actually checked to see how much it cost them?
Just for curiosity.

Notorious MH

Sep 3, 2020
Gloucestershire
Well for domestic electricity you pay per kWh and an average rate is probably around £0.15, at least in the UK. So the average bike with a 500Wh battery would cost about £0.075. So nothing basically, you wouldn't even notice it on your electricity bill.

KeithR

Jul 1, 2020
Blyth, Northumberland
Well for domestic electricity you pay per kWh and an average rate is probably around £0.15, at least in the UK. So the average bike with a 500Wh battery would cost about £0.075. So nothing basically, you wouldn't even notice it on your electricity bill.
Bit of a typo there?

If the battery takes say, 6 hours to charge, that's 3kwh - about 45p, not 7.5p.

Jeffrey

Jul 29, 2020
Switzerland
And a 500wh battery charged for 6 hours uses 3kWh of electicity.
No no no, and no! ?

Wh (watt*hour) is the energy content of the battery, if you charge in 1 hour or 12 hour the energy inside the battery (taken from the wall) is the same.

A 500Wh battery needs 500Wh (plus the losses from charger and battery itself) to be completely charged. ?

Notorious MH

Sep 3, 2020
Gloucestershire
Exactly, to calculate the cost of charging take the kWh size of the battery and multiply by the cost of energy (per kWh).
In this case:

0.5 kWh x £0.15 = £0.075

Like Jeffrey said, not including losses which will be minimal.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles