Clothing cost

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
NO I don't mean the merch on this forum, in fact if there padded baggy shorts inline with the pricing of the available tops I have some!

Can someone explain why a pair of padded baggy shorts costs around 80-100 GBP

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground, either plastic ones from China that fall apart or buy some at prices that make your eyes water! Can anyone recommend anything around the 30-50 mark that's comfortable and lasts?

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
You do realise cycling is a lifestyle "sport" eh?

Sorry. I don't even know what padded baggy shorts are.

routrax

E*POWAH Master
Jun 15, 2019
Uxbridge
NO I don't mean the merch on this forum, in fact if there padded baggy shorts inline with the pricing of the available tops I have some!

There doesn't seem to be a middle ground, either plastic ones from China that fall apart or buy some at prices that make your eyes water! Can anyone recommend anything around the 30-50 mark that's comfortable and lasts?

If you wanna do it on the cheap, get some decent-ish padded lycra (Decathalon etc) and wear cheap shorts on the top.
The reason the proper stuff is expensive is that it's durable (mostly) and has water repellent coatings etc.

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
I started out riding lycra. They aren't as stylish looking but they also don't get hung on your seat, and they do tend to last forever.

Sapientiea

Jul 12, 2019
Netherlands
Well you do not need padding, that all depends on how much discomfort you cn handle. Friend of mine rides 160 km without padding....I cannot ride without for 30km :D

Jut buy lycra padding and wear a 'normal' shorts on top like suggested above. Helmet is something you need and I personally do not ride without elbow and knee protection in the mountains or very rocky terrain. In Netherlands I ride without.

SquireRides

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Sep 4, 2018
UK
Quality items at sweat shop prices?

Best you can hope for is to avoid tat marked up to pay for the logo.

In my experience TLD stuff is good for the price. Same for Madison.

I bought some Madison padded liners which are great, and wear under generic sports, outdoors or casual wear.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
You can usually pick up a set of Endura Humve's with removable padded liner for around the 50 quid mark.

Sirwincealot

May 3, 2020
Surrey Hills, UK
Hopefully not too much of a thread hijack but has anyone got recommendations for lightweight but sturdy long sleeve tops for summer riding? Doesn’t have to be mtb specific or fancy brand names.

Round my way the lesser used single track is getting overgrown and my arms are getting ripped to shreds!

Rusty

E*POWAH BOSS
Jul 17, 2019
New Zealand
Branded clothing and footwear has pricing that is quite amazing to start with - and that is just regular street wear. I was in retail for a while when I was a youngster and was being groomed to become a company buyer, which gave me the opportunity to visit several factories. This was in the days before the labour camp factories in China, Vietnam etc and even then the exact same production line would produce a named brand product that would sell for say $40 retail and then would produce our item using the same material but in different colour-ways and put our logo on them - these would sell for say $20. Today you have $200 Nike shoes coming off a line and Chinese brand of exactly the same shoe with a different logo for $20.

However, when it comes to a store buying a range of something - we will take shorts as they were in the OP.
The store usually has to 'Indent' the item months ahead and has to decide what colours and what sizes they will stock. You can have an item one year sell out in say Medium, but the next year Large is the big seller so it is often a gamble. Last year it was Natural Tone - this year Black - next year might be Flouro. What happens is that after the season has passed they have to dump the item to free up money for the new lines and sometimes this ends up at being cost - if they don't sell can be below cost just to clear and get some money back. This has to be factored into the pricing when ordering a line. Because the big online stores buy larger volume they often are able to pass along price discounts on standard pricing, plus they don't have people coming in, trying something on then purchasing elsewhere.

I always try to buy local for anything I need - support your LBS and they are in a better place to support you.

@Sirwincealot Have you thought about the forums tops?

SquireRides

Sep 4, 2018
UK
Hopefully not too much of a thread hijack but has anyone got recommendations for lightweight but sturdy long sleeve tops for summer riding? Doesn’t have to be mtb specific or fancy brand names.

Round my way the lesser used single track is getting overgrown and my arms are getting ripped to shreds!

HH base layer under a t-shirt (for that 90s layered look): HH TECH CREW

Or generic outdoorsie zipped tops from Millets or Blacks, like these: https://www.blacks.co.uk/mens/347507-montane-mens-dart-zip-neck-blue.html

dobbyhasfriends

🌹Old Bloke 🎸
Subscriber
Sep 19, 2019
Llandovery, Wales

yea I know where you are coming from but i still have 2 pairs of shorts that I bought in 2003, they are Oakley baggies with integrated liner and chamois, still using em every week.. at the time I think I paid £60 per pair, think ive had my monies worth !
its hard to find shorts like that now which is a shame

Gavalar

Feb 4, 2019
UK

There are literally infinite deals to be had at the moment but some companies are keeping their prices at their original due to the upsurge in cycling during the COVID-19 situation.
Companies such as Decathlon, Millets, Mountain Warehouse,Go-Outdoors etc sell own branded and branded goods so the choice is yours.
If you want top branded goods, which are currently on offer at many places then check the usual sources, Tredz, Cycle Surgery (closing down sale), Leisure Lakes, Merlin Cycles, CRC have 40% off Troy Lee, all told, you have invested good money on your ride, given our climate it makes sense to invest in good quality kit.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
My guess would be that if they cost that much then they probably have d3o, SAS-TEC or equivalent shock protection which I wish I had when I came off a bike on a sketchy trail near Mt Macedon VIC years ago. Anti shock padding is preferable to gravel rash etc & DUOderm dressing on your arse believe me.

wepn

The Barking Owl ?
Jul 18, 2019
AU
Also a fast black Kenevo & Demon MTB people get out of your way quicker :)
Demon MTB Team Pack Core Men's.jpg

Bike Team Pack - Core Men's

Doomanic

🛠️Wrecker🛠️
Patreon
Founding Member
Jan 21, 2018
UK
Sometimes worn with the included Lycra padded undershorts, sometimes not.
Seem to be alright. Get what you pay for I reckon. When these rip another will be bought

I ordered a pair of the Fox-copy Decathlon AM shorts a week ago.

They’re going back. At £29.99 they are overpriced by about 30 quid!
I was going to swap them for the ST900 shorts but their return form doesn’t allow that.

RazorBlade

Jun 6, 2020
UK
on @R120 's advice I picked up the Endura Humve's for £50 From CRC.

They have now arrived - I think the pricing was fair and the quality is good. They are very comfortable, I'm very happy with them.

GrahamPaul

Nov 6, 2019
Andalucía
I ordered a pair of the Fox-copy Decathlon AM shorts a week ago.

They’re going back. At £29.99 they are overpriced by about 30 quid!
I was going to swap them for the ST900 shorts but their return form doesn’t allow that.

I agree with you there. I was going to order them online but our local Decathlon opened up on Monday so I went to see them first. The quality was dreadful so I ended up buying two pairs of the ST900 instead.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles