Spare chains cost

Alan wolfe

Oct 10, 2018
Ffgjh
Hi have just purchased ktm macina kapoho 274 was wondering how much are chains for this 11 speed bosch motor how do I know what size to buy how long do they last

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I've no idea. You'd have to survey a minimum of 50% of the worlds bike shops to be sure. ;)

There's absolutely no need at all to use an Ebike specific chain on an 11 speed mtb system fitted to an Ebike though. A decent quality standard 11 speed mtb chain is just fine

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I've no idea. You'd have to survey a minimum of 50% of the worlds bike shops to be sure. ;)

There's absolutely no need at all to use an Ebike specific chain on an 11 speed mtb system fitted to an Ebike though. A decent quality standard 11 speed mtb chain is just fine
Exactly, never snapped a standard 11speed chain on my eMtb yet and I shift under full power load all the time.
I find they wear a little quicker than non powered Mtb, and this also rings true to eMtb specific chains too.
No benifit to a special ebike chain.

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
yet and I shift under full power load all the time.
WOW! You're joking right?
That's something I never do.
I'd actually put a lot of folks poor experience with Ebike chain life down to that.
Hard to say when they're not me. and too many people quote massively vague/imprecise chain measuring tools and slavishly replace their chains on the readings.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
WOW! You're joking right?
That's something I never do.
I'd actually put a lot of folks poor experience with Ebike chain life down to that.
Hard to say when they're not me. and too many people quote massively vague/imprecise chain measuring tools and slavishly replace their chains on the readings.
No, not joking
Yes, 4 chains and a cassette in 2500km
Does it worry me... not at all it’s eMtb life.

Can I get more kms out of both, if I take care shifting. Bloody oth.
The motor gives about a half revolution of the chain ring after I compleatly stop pedaling. So it’s still under load even if I stop pedaling when I make a shift. Not as much as pedaling also, but still under load.
To shift under no load would require me to stop pedaling completely, wait a split second for motor to stop, then shift. Why bother really, way too much thinking to do ect ect.

It still clunks when shifting weather I back off or not. I have come to terms with greater wear of consumables on the eMtb.

Never snapped a non specific eMtb chain. So there is no benefit going to a special chain for the ebike

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
I'm on 1700ish km on my first chain and cassette all running sweet.
Don't know which motor you have. but on my E8000 I don't have to stop pedalling, simply ease off by soft pedalling and wait for the overrun/lag to ease off (timing this is instinctual now) enough and time my shifting for smooth clunkless not under load shifting. it's really not all that different a technique to shifting smoothly on a non-Ebike. and it's just as possible to multiple shift cleanly as a non Ebike. Even if for some reason I've messed up my gear choice at the base of a climb/rise and am in too high a gear I'll use the motor/power in my legs to get the cranks spinning at a decent cadence so I can then ease off before shifting to a larger sprocket without it being under load. I'm quite lucky in that I have a huge cadence range in me so probably shift less than a lot of folk do in the first place.

Every time I give someone a shot of my bike I tell them not to change gear at all and just use the motor control shifter as most noobs can't change smoothly on an Ebike.

Bend it ya mend it.

outerlimits

E*POWAH BOSS
Founding Member
Feb 3, 2018
Australia
I'm on 1700ish km on my first chain and cassette all running sweet.
Don't know which motor you have. but on my E8000 I don't have to stop pedalling, simply ease off by soft pedalling and wait for the overrun/lag to ease off (timing this is instinctual now) enough and time my shifting for smooth clunkless not under load shifting. it's really not all that different a technique to shifting smoothly on a non-Ebike. and it's just as possible to multiple shift cleanly as a non Ebike. Even if for some reason I've messed up my gear choice at the base of a climb/rise and am in too high a gear I'll use the motor/power in my legs to get the cranks spinning at a decent cadence so I can then ease off before shifting to a larger sprocket without it being under load. I'm quite lucky in that I have a huge cadence range in me so probably shift less than a lot of folk do in the first place.

Every time I give someone a shot of my bike I tell them not to change gear at all and just use the motor control shifter as most noobs can't change smoothly on an Ebike.

Bend it ya mend it.

As you say, it’s a learned technique. It’s how i’d ride a unpowered bike. Maybe I have just become a bit lazy and complacent.
I have just put a new chain and cassette on, and I’m up for learning new things and find it challenging. You’ve got me on a mission now. I’ll try the more gentle approach and hopefully get it nailed. It will be interesting to see the results over the next 2500km.

Thanks,
Challenge accepted

Gary

Old Tartan Bollocks
Author
Subscriber
Mar 29, 2018
the internet
No worries. it's one of the first things I spent time figuring out when I first rode mine.
I honestly do think smooth sghifting should make a noticable difference to chain/cassette life

mymodel6

Oct 2, 2018
Hertfordshire
No, not joking
Yes, 4 chains and a cassette in 2500km
Does it worry me... not at all it’s eMtb life.

Can I get more kms out of both, if I take care shifting. Bloody oth.
The motor gives about a half revolution of the chain ring after I compleatly stop pedaling. So it’s still under load even if I stop pedaling when I make a shift. Not as much as pedaling also, but still under load.
To shift under no load would require me to stop pedaling completely, wait a split second for motor to stop, then shift. Why bother really, way too much thinking to do ect ect.

It still clunks when shifting weather I back off or not. I have come to terms with greater wear of consumables on the eMtb.

Never snapped a non specific eMtb chain. So there is no benefit going to a special chain for the ebike

Yeah i just change gear when i need to..

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles