Tell me where to go...

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
Ok maybe not in that way ;)
I’ve become a ridiculously rapid convert to emtbs, from chancing across one of Rob’s videos, to becoming interested, then obsessed, then buying my Haibike, all took less than a month and i love it.

Thing is, Im 55 with no history of cycling of any sort since I was about 11, and while I watch Robs trail videos, and watch Mctrail rider and Grizzly Munro diaries with absolute awe and think “I want some of that”, I know if I tried it I’d be elegantly flying through the air en route to the fracture clinic within 10 mins. So is there anywhere I can go to learn the basics? Someone who will recognise im clueless without judging and is willing to go through the “stand up when you’re doing that you tit” and “you’re braking way too early“ sort of things that will enable me to actually get going down a proper trail with a chance of making it to the bottom alive? I’m near Doncaster but willing to travel anywhere.

I’m actually quite gutted I’ve got through so much of my life without trying mountain biking and want to get on with it for the remaining time of relative fitness I have left, and while I recognise that practice practice practice is the main thing, I want to get a head start.

lhglaze

Nov 5, 2018
Bournemouth
I’m sure there are some fantastic coaches nearer you but I’ve done a couple of courses at bike park wales and really enjoyed them. They gave me more confidence and made me think about my technique.

Janluke

Patreon
Dec 16, 2018
Scotland
As already mentioned get some coaching one to one if possible then practice then more coaching. It's the best mt b accessory you can buy

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
i know there’s a free app that will tell you the proper form for all kinds of trail / park situations. that’s something you could start with right away! have fun and take your time. one crash could take you off your bike for a year.

LA8RAT

Jan 24, 2019
Lancashire
I find Dave Jenvey on YouTube very inspiring. This guy is a real tryer and documents his learning to mtb in a very amusing way. No way are his videos, coaching vids, but you can still learn a lot from him.

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
Thanks for all the suggestions, I will book in there. I’ve already watched some of the YouTube suggestions (I watch much more YouTube than tv these days which is how I came across emtb forums) and I’ll watch the other suggested ones next.

hiro

Jan 7, 2019
South Yorkshire
i know there’s a free app that will tell you the proper form for all kinds of trail / park situations. that’s something you could start with right away! have fun and take your time. one crash could take you off your bike for a year.
Do you know the name of the app? I’ve had a look through and I’ve found one called trailforks, is that it?

All Mountain Coaching

E*POWAH Elite
Oct 3, 2018
GB
Thanks for all the props guys.

If you'd like to come see me or have any questions, you can get in touch on here, Instagram, website or I'm occasionally on Facebook.

Helped over 1000 riders improve confidence and technique over the last few years.

LA8RAT

Jan 24, 2019
Lancashire
Seems like you haven't spent any time really on this forum then, as that couldn't be further from the truth.
Im currently reading the quite shocking thread on the levo's, i broke off to reply to you. .

Id say the most obvious feature of this forum is it only has a ?when it comes to rating posts.

Is this the snowflake attitude where everything must be positive?

LA8RAT

Jan 24, 2019
Lancashire
Im currently reading the quite shocking thread on the levo's, i broke off to reply to you. .

Id say the most obvious feature of this forum is it only has a ?when it comes to rating posts.

Is this the snowflake attitude where everything must be positive?
And we have mod edits that are not posted as mod edits.

Fucking amuture hour.

R120

Subscriber
Apr 13, 2018
Surrey
I am sorry but what are you on about - if you hover your mouse over the "thumb sign" you will see there are multiple actions, such as as the "thumbs down" I just gave your post, as an example !

You will find this is one of the friendliest forums out there, that it is probably the single biggest source of information on EMTB's, and that any form of self promotion is not allowed.

Ben Deakin is a world famous mtb rider, who has a big following on social media, and also happens to do coaching when not racing.

All Mountain Coaching is a member on here, who happens to be a top skills coach, but has never promoted his business on here, but others are happy to recommend him as he is a great coach and a top man to boot.

Issues such as those with the Levo, and the solutions to them, have been largely identified and driven by members of this forum, to the extent that Specilized rider care themselves joined up to address the issues. I would argue that more people with Levo's have got there bikes sorted from advice on this website than any where else, and if you are reading up about the Levo on here then you will see as much negative posts as positive about it.

LA8RAT

Jan 24, 2019
Lancashire
I am sorry but what are you on about - if you hover your mouse over the "thumb sign" you will see there are multiple actions, such as as the "thumbs down" I just gave your post, as an example !

You will find this is one of the friendliest forums out there, that it is probably the single biggest source of information on EMTB's, and that any form of self promotion is not allowed.

Ben Deakin is a world famous mtb rider, who has a big following on social media, and also happens to do coaching when not racing.

All Mountain Coaching is a member on here, who happens to be a top skills coach, but has never promoted his business on here, but others are happy to recommend him as he is a great coach and a top man to boot.

Issues such as those with the Levo, and the solutions to them, have been largely identified and driven by members of this forum, to the extent that Specilized rider care themselves joined up to address the issues. I would argue that more people with Levo's have got there bikes sorted from advice on this website than any where else, and if you are reading up about the Levo on here then you will see as much negative posts as positive about it.
Im using my phone.. mouse over?

I get that the rank and file users of the forum give good honest opinions and advice. Again..why the lean towards positive ratings?

Dax

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 25, 2018
FoD
Press your finger into your arse. You condescending.. well lets leave it at that shall we..

My last post.

Wow, when he explains the thing you didn't know how to do, he's condescending?

@Doomanic check out this tool ^^^

Dee Scee

Dec 21, 2018
Berkeley
Do you know the name of the app? I’ve had a look through and I’ve found one called trailforks, is that it?
hey! trailforks is good for finding trails for sure. but the app for coaching technique is called trail tips or trail tips ca. - i havent seen it but it’s intended to be used on the trail, for when you are actually encountering challenges. sounds perfect for what you’re seeking.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles