Talon vs Stance e+2

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
I recently purchased a 2022 Talon e-bike and while it has done everything I need it to, a part of me is attracted to that burnt orange stance with the rear suspension. I have 30 days to return the talon towards the stance but I’m trying to justify another $1,300 . Please help

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
I recently purchased a 2022 Talon e-bike and while it has done everything I need it to, a part of me is attracted to that burnt orange stance with the rear suspension. I have 30 days to return the talon towards the stance but I’m trying to justify another $1,300 . Please help
The only down side I see is I lose the color screen and just get the simple led ride control

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
My son has the Talon, and I have a 2021 Stance E+2

Stance has:
Dual sus as mentioned,
More powerful motor
Newer style battery pack that can be upgraded to 625 or 800wh
Air fork instead of spring
Shimano 10 speed instead of 9 speed
Better brakes

I had a Fathom for a couple of years and went to the Stance for the dual sus.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
My son has the Talon, and I have a 2021 Stance E+2

Stance has:
Dual sus as mentioned,
More powerful motor
Newer style battery pack that can be upgraded to 625 or 800wh
Air fork instead of spring
Shimano 10 speed instead of 9 speed
Better brakes

I had a Fathom for a couple of years and went to the Stance for the dual sus.
Stance is the best bike in the range when it comes to the value/fun ratio. Also has a excellent upgrade path when you have a few spare ££. 👍

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
so I have decided to upgrade to the stance e+2, now I look at giants website and there are two listed. The original amber good and one that looks gray. Can someone tell me which one is better since there is less than $50 difference in price.
here is the comparison but I don’t know that much about this stuff yet to know which one is better. thank you again
F64B7B8A-CA7F-45D3-A4E8-ABCDA9ABA20C.png
8D452413-22F5-4239-BD66-CD736E2DD5A5.png
21227606-3E2F-4299-BB6D-42B0B05585E7.png

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
I like the orange better but I like the ride control dash better on the gray one, or i should say, the ride control dash is the one that I’m used to on the talon
i see that both bikes have front thru axles and the orange one has a rear quick release, does the gray one have quick release or thru axle?
not sure if the suspension or Shifter difference is a big deal

Julie_X1

Jan 22, 2023
Canada
The grey one is the updated 2023 model.

The orange one is the last generation Stance E+

You can google “new 2023 Stance E+”, and see some videos on what’s changed.

P.S. The geometry has probably changed somewhat.

UnreasonableMuppet

Jan 11, 2022
THE YOO ESS OF AYE
Looking some more, I like the newer one. The new one does have a thru axle. You might want the e+1 version for a few hundred more to get the larger 625WH battery. Not sure how much range you are looking for.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
The grey one has much better spec, stronger motor, range extender compatibility, more travel, boost hubs, udh, better tyres, linkglide, it’s a no brainer, just wish it was on the orange bike 😂

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
I wonder is the newer gray version will accept the ks18 kickstand that I removed from the talon. Also wonder if the battery on the new version can be changed both on and off the bike as I plan on removing battery during colder months

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
not sure on the kickstand, not listed as being compatible, best to check with dealer on that one. Did you mean to say charged on and off the bike instead of changed ?
If so, yes battery can be charged off the bike via the adapter supplied with the Giant charger

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
So im Still undecided between the two, I like the better specs of the newer 2023 bike and also like the color screen although I already saw a little fog in the screen of my one month old talon which has never gotten wet but also like the color and the Fact that my kickstand fits on the 2022 amber glow bike.not sure which one is more reliable or how Giant added more features for not much extra money. So, the local bike shop has ordered both of them and he is gonna let me pick which one I want once they come in. Probably a few weeks. Does anyone know if Giant cut any corners on the 2023 model to make up for the upgrades without raising the price much? Also, I haven’t been in the woods yet with the previous talon, what control do you guys prefer between the color lcd dash or the traditional with the simple led’s? Thank you for all the information

Last edited:

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Same , I like the ride control one. It’s a bit chunky compared to the newer version ergo but I prefer the bigger buttons because when I get in a situation where I need power quickly i can just spam the buttons without looking. However this would not be a show stopper on the grey bike, I’d still take it over the orange one just on spec. Also I’d say you the 23 bike would be worth more when you come to sell than the orange one which is already a year old. May be worth mentioning that to the dealer when you see both, could be a deal on the offing as Giant are really wanting to shift bikes at the moment.

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
Rubinstein, do you know if Giant cheaped out on anything in the new 2023 model to be able to offer the upgraded specs for only slightly more money or do you think that the orange one was just inflated because it was during the Covid bike rush? Sorry to ask all these questions but I like to know as much as possible do to the price I’m spending. I also bought my wife a Liv Tempt which she loves as she has no plans of going off-road.so basically I want to make sure the 2023 bike is a better bike minus the color of course lol

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
Ask away mate, no problem here. As far as going cheap on the bike, I really don’t think so. Sure people can say the forks or cranks could be better but if you do those things it’s knocking on the door of being a Trance, and of course it becomes Trance money. I think the price is bang on for the spec, you can always upgrade bits as they wear out. I’m a big fan of getting an entry level bike and modding it as I go. Even on high end bikes there will always be something that’s not to you taste and you’ll want to change. Just had a look at the Uk model, it’s available with the 625wh battery for £3500 pounds. I’d be tempted to try and squeeze the dealer to throw in a battery upgrade or at least a very good px on your 500.

jeanmarc

Mar 2, 2021
Canada
The grey one has much better spec, stronger motor, range extender compatibility, more travel, boost hubs, udh, better tyres, linkglide, it’s a no brainer, just wish it was on the orange bike 😂
I would go 100% newer one, this is a fast evolving e-bike category... Better specs, newer motor, lighter stronger. Don’t let a kickstand motivate your decision. Nice video here about this model:

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
Good video, after watching i can see one thing that might have cut costs on the new model which is the battery is held in with a torx screw instead of a key. I like the torx idea better as it’s simpler.
bike shop called me today and told me they are getting the orange one first and then a few weeks later the 2023 gray one. I told them to don’t bother calling me until they are both there. I feel they are doing this to push me to the 2022 orange bike

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Good video, after watching i can see one thing that might have cut costs on the new model which is the battery is held in with a torx screw instead of a key. I like the torx idea better as it’s simpler.
bike shop called me today and told me they are getting the orange one first and then a few weeks later the 2023 gray one. I told them to don’t bother calling me until they are both there. I feel they are doing this to push me to the 2022 orange bike
For $50, I'd be all over the new one.

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
Looking at the geometry, which bike will have a more comfortable riding position? I’m not planning on doing aggressive riding. I’m 54 years old and just wanted the suspension for a more comfortable experience. I noticed the reach is 1.4” greater on the 2023 model. Not sure if that means it will be more comfortable or less.

DaveMatthews

Aug 12, 2018
Vancouver, B.C. Canada
Looking at the geometry, which bike will have a more comfortable riding position? I’m not planning on doing aggressive riding. I’m 54 years old and just wanted the suspension for a more comfortable experience. I noticed the reach is 1.4” greater on the 2023 model. Not sure if that means it will be more comfortable or less.
One option is to change the stem to something that you feel is more comfortable.
For me the answer was to change the handlebars to have a 20mm more rise.

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
How tall are you ?

Rubinstein

Apr 7, 2022
kent
I assume you'll be going for a size large but can't really say if one bike will be more comfortable than the other, you'll have to test and decide. However, I am 54 and 5'11, I ride a trance in size large which has the same reach as the grey bike. Out of the box it was great but as my rides got longer (4hrs +) I had a few comfort issues that I resolved by having a bike fit. My current set up is with a 35mm rise oneup bars rolled back with the stem fully raised with Ergon GP3 grips, saddle is mid mounted, clipped in pedals. Comfort is a very personal thing, well worth spending the time getting it right, even making those micro adjustments can make all the difference. Important thing is to get the base right.

Hedgehog

Dec 24, 2022
Massachusetts
i Was going with a large frame. When I first got the talon, I felt like I was pushing down too much on the bars. I moved the seat forward, put all the spacers under the stem and got some gel gloves. all that made it a lot better

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles