SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

ymmr32

Jul 13, 2022
Japan
When I contacted the manufacturer about my problem of not being able to output the product, I was able to resolve it by providing an answer and firmware. MTB data does not output 600w with 48v specifications. According to road bike data, it can output close to 600w. I hope this helps someone who is having trouble.

ymmr32

Jul 13, 2022
Japan
When I contacted the manufacturer about my problem of not being able to output the product, I was able to resolve it by providing an answer and firmware. MTB data does not output 600w with 48v specifications. According to road bike data, it can output close to 600w. I hope this helps someone who is having trouble.
This is the latest E-load firmware provided by Bafang. This produced 570w. For those who are having trouble, please refer to it...

Attachments

• CRX30PC4812E102006.3_eRoad_230721.bin
    91 KB · Views: 102

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Sooo...just the 3rd ride in mostly flatter conditions. I broke a side piece off the modified motor guard dropping into a steep sandy wash...was a fun feature!🤟
PXL_20231107_001456958.MP.jpg

Good news is that carbon reinforced tab mod I made held. Arguably, this was a major weak spot of the Gen 2 motor guard.
Screenshot_20231106-173107.png

Unfortunately, the piece was lost on the trail before I noticed it when hoisting onto my bike rack. Otherwise, it would have been easier to glue it back on and just cover the whole plate in carbon. I still might cut out some spare plastic and graft it in...😔

Linda at SZZS says the 3rd Gen motor guard "should" be ready by the end of this month.
Screenshot_20231106-174947.png

Last edited:

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
So apparently, their have been a few complaints about the Acros headset for cable routing. Supposedly, one of the following seems to occur:-
1. Depending on the variant, the plastic parts are prone to snapping when preloading the headset!? Or,
2. Depending on the variant, the physical outer cables which protrude from the headset will crack the headset (even after ensuring that their is plenty of cable slack) through excessive over-steer.

I haven't installed one in either my CEF50 or Dengfu E55. But has anyone else experienced this same issue?

FYI, this is coming from 4 different bike mechanics, from 4 different bike shops, which all 4 bike shops sell mtb/emtb with headset cable routing.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I did not know anyone was using the ACRO cap maybe the bearings. I use the Nukeproof made by Token.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Speaking of AXS, is any one using the new AXS/Transmission/T-type/Direct Mount GX yet (did I cover all the possible names😁)?

Figured it's been 6 months since it's release, and 3 months for the GX version so maybe somebody has got some miles accumulated by now....

If so, curious to get your feedback on the pairing of CEF50-M820 specifically, or really any E-mtb. I'm considering the GX T-type upgrade in the future....maybe with X-Mas promotional code.🤣 Hint: Sram like Shimano are notoriously tight with any discounts. But sometimes a LBS will cut you a deal at the end of the month.🤞

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
that's 36v firmware version. mine also 36v 720wh battery.

Tried this firmware for a while. I think this make better power delivery than my previous 102002.2 firmware. Later will test power decrease under 20% battery.
I know it’s been a while since you posted this file, but I just got around to installing it and testing it yesterday evening. My friend, you’ve made a significant improvement of the quality of ride by producing this firmware, thank you.

Some of the highlights:

– smoother power delivery
- punchier power delivery
- Less delay time to start power delivery under-load
- battery lasts longer using more power somehow
- much more noticeable difference between modes, primarily Eco mode you can actually feel the right away, sport plus has everything I need to get me up the steepest sections
- The downhill, application of pedal strokes to keep momentum, the spin up time doing this feels much more natural and less delay

I can’t send enough good things about this firmware. It’s a significant improvement over stock. Did you figure out how to get full power delivery below 25%.? I would love it if you could ride at full power down to about 10% before a reduction in power.

This ride below was going between sport and sport plus and I was still left with about 44% battery at the end of the ride. This would’ve normally been 35%-ish, I only know that because the day before I did a similar ride and I ended up round 30%.
1699976912937.png

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I know it’s been a while since you posted this file, but I just got around to installing it and testing it yesterday evening. My friend, you’ve made a significant improvement of the quality of ride by producing this firmware, thank you.

Some of the highlights:

- much more noticeable difference between modes, primarily Eco mode you can actually feel the right away, sport plus has everything I need to get me up the steepest sections
- The downhill, application of pedal strokes to keep momentum, the spin up time doing this feels much more natural and less delay

I can’t send enough good things about this firmware. It’s a significant improvement over stock. Did you figure out how to get full power delivery below 25%.? I would love it if you could ride at full power down to about 10% before a reduction in power.

This ride below was going between sport and sport plus and I was still left with about 44% battery at the end of the ride. This would’ve normally been 35%-ish, I only know that because the day before I did a similar ride and I ended up round 30%.
View attachment 129018
Cool. Test it out for below 20%. 👊

10-12% power down would be nice.🤟

Bafang always super conservative toward saving the battery...My M600 is a 27% threshold.😝

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US

Some of the highlights:

Did you use the Besst tool to install it or can you install firmware with GO+?

like-bike

Nov 14, 2023
Italia
Hi everyone, I'm new here. I have a light e-mtb project in the pipeline, I'm undecided between this cef 50 and the lightcarbon lce 930. I would be a person who is quite interested in weight, so I would look for the lightest frame. On an aesthetic level, I like the LCE 930 better but it has some details that I don't like. like the battery but I saw on the forum that a member made a 720wh battery like I would like.
many thanks in advance

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Sounds like you have done you homework and understand the differences. I think a lot of us like the aesthetics of the LCE930 better. But the CEF50 shipped sooner and I really was more comfortable getting all the parts from one seller with one responsible party. SZZS has been a responsive seller to me and they took the initiative to get a bafang motor provider and get the 720 battery made to order. They have made the new headset and offer non-headset cabling on demand.
Plus, of course, the people in this thread sendit~! :)

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
Did you use the Besst tool to install it or can you install firmware with GO+?
I used the Besst tool. It was an easy process to apply the firmware to the controller but the system shut down after the firmware had been applied. I had to remove all the connections from the motor and reconnect after 1 or 2 mins. Then it came back to life where I was able to confirm the firmware had been applied. Even if I didn’t confirm the firmware, it was obvious the character of the motor had changed.

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
Since it’s winter time now, and I’ve been riding in more wet weather situations I’ve noticed a new squeak that seems to be coming from the motor. It seems to be only when the motors actually engaged regardless of whether I’m peddling or not, like with overrun. Are any of you experiencing any squeaky sounds coming from the motor and no where lube should be applied?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles