SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I hope wireless droppers will arrive soon at a decent cost! I do not have the time yet to work on the diy version I was planning
I feel $300 would be my max for wireless.

I just bought a PNW Loam for the CEF50. $155 with promo code to the door. 🤛 Seems as a good as OneUp and Fox Transfer so far...time will tell. But I also just had my Transfer rebuilt-$165...works great but WOW rebuild price.💸

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
and it will probably has to be rebuilt again :) I gave up on my fox transfer and ordered a PNW although I "think" PNW is made by TransX.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
and it will probably has to be rebuilt again :) I gave up on my fox transfer and ordered a PNW although I "think" PNW is made by TransX.
I think Brand X was/is making PNW except the Loam (higher end). Something about Brand X being part of TranzX... Taiwanese company.

I just the thought the TranzX wireless dropper was a bit too unproven for $450+. Waiting for other big brands to keep wireless cheaper in the future. 💸

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Are we not concerned about the drop in battery capacity from 720Wh? I thought this was one of the major advantages of this design. small motor large battery.
I just saw yesterday one guy did his LCE930 with a 600 Wh battery...I assume a DIY/3rd party softpack in his slimmer downtube. Great idea...now if he can overstroke travel successfully to 170/160...liking that upgrade!👊

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah
Rode on saturday with a buddy that I loaned my e10/m600 (ludicrious v2 controller, peak silent gear) with 36T chainring and 11-52 12 speed for the ride. The climb is a 3 mile - 1000 foot climb with several steep segments. In level 6/9 on the m600 he passed me on the first hill while I was in full boost on the m820. The second hill I made him do 4/9 and I went full boost. He still walked away from me. I didnt even hear him sneaking up on me and passing me. There is an obvious noise level difference between the 2 motors and the m820 is loud. One thing I noticed is that even with the 170mm cranks the CEF50 does not pedal strike near as often as I thought it would. The e10 i have with 160mm cranks because I was striking everything. The CEF50 does not have issues like that through the rocks.
Ive got over 60 miles now on it and its feeling awesome and predictable. Id still like to adjust the angle for when the power comes on. I figured out walk mode and its worthless. I find it easier to just heave the bike up some of the rocky hike a bike sections. The e10 is nice where you can put the bike in 2/9 and second gear and throttle up as you walk next to it. I miss that a lot.
Frame size wise I compared the L e10 to the XL CEF50 and they are pretty close in size. The CEF50 is maybe an inch longer overall. It sure turns a lot better than the E10 on technical switchbacks, part of that is weight, but most of it is geo.

Phatty

Feb 18, 2021
Utah
I hope wireless droppers will arrive soon at a decent cost! I do not have the time yet to work on the diy version I was planning
My dropper cable is getting pinched on a left turn and I have messed with the headset so many times to fix it. I will be getting the NukeProof headset and a wireless dropper for this bike. Only cable will be the Rear brake line. Done with stupid cables on this bike. Headset routing is garbage.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
My dropper cable is getting pinched on a left turn and I have messed with the headset so many times to fix it. I will be getting the NukeProof headset and a wireless dropper for this bike. Only cable will be the Rear brake line. Done with stupid cables on this bike. Headset routing is garbage.
Better hurry since Chain Reaction Cycles, Wiggle and NUkeproof going out of business...

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
I just saw yesterday one guy did his LCE930 with a 600 Wh battery...I assume a DIY/3rd party softpack in his slimmer downtube. Great idea...now if he can overstroke travel successfully to 170/160...liking that upgrade!👊
Your M820 will fit in a LCE930 frame :)

Neeko DeVinchi

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Dec 31, 2020
UK
I know!😉 Possibly sell my M600 and go for another M820....next year...maybe! Doubt it, still need full powered if riding with other full powered.💪
It's funny you should say that. So I've tested the M820 against the Bosch Gen4. Yeah, the Bosch Gen4 out-sprinted the M820. But it only had a 4sec time over the M820 (which oddly enough is comparable to the EP801 in my Dengfu E08.
My Levo however seems to be tied with CEF50 and the M820. Granted, this the levo with the 500wh battery to make it lighter (with its 700wh, it would sustain power a lot longer).
The M510 does have more power. But the M820 has more "get up and go" from the start (with its default 43v firmware).
I wouldn't mind performing further tests using the mission control app, Bafang Go+ app & Shimano E-Tube app, so I can understand and what point and for how long each system can deliver and sustain peak output in conjunction with my own effort. I am of the belief that with a 43v battery, the M820 can achieve near 600w (which makes sense as the power connector which connects the 410wh battery to the M820 is an xt30 connector which is sufficient for 15amps continuous).

Lehr

May 18, 2023
China
previews
1698993669018.png

ymmr32

Jul 13, 2022
Japan
It's funny you should say that. So I've tested the M820 against the Bosch Gen4. Yeah, the Bosch Gen4 out-sprinted the M820. But it only had a 4sec time over the M820 (which oddly enough is comparable to the EP801 in my Dengfu E08.
My Levo however seems to be tied with CEF50 and the M820. Granted, this the levo with the 500wh battery to make it lighter (with its 700wh, it would sustain power a lot longer).
The M510 does have more power. But the M820 has more "get up and go" from the start (with its default 43v firmware).
I wouldn't mind performing further tests using the mission control app, Bafang Go+ app & Shimano E-Tube app, so I can understand and what point and for how long each system can deliver and sustain peak output in conjunction with my own effort. I am of the belief that with a 43v battery, the M820 can achieve near 600w (which makes sense as the power connector which connects the 410wh battery to the M820 is an xt30 connector which is sufficient for 15amps continuous).
surprise. Does the M820 have that much power? My motor is 36v710w and it is 408w. It outputs only 430w at 48v20A. Maybe the firmware is different?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
The M510 does have more power....
Just my subjective observations. My M600 is nominally rated at 110-120+Nm. The Ludicrous version on the Luna E10, I hear, is definitely 120Nm+. So, for me there is a different ride feel...lots of "go" for sure that I need to keep up with better, faster, full powered riders in a group, especially on tech ascents that can be plowed through.

Plus, I'd lose too much money selling it off, so practicality as well in keeping it. Just easier and simplier to hang on to the M600 for "group e-riding".

I think an "advanced rider" with a M820-75Nm could keep up with a M510-95Nm "average rider" on hills, even likely descents due to skill. So, I agree the M820-75Nm punches above it's weight class. This seemed to be my experience in riding with my M820.

I'd also argue that having the CEF50 longer travel 180/165 with the 46 lb M820 has good climbing and bombing down hill potential through agility AND less mass. My M820 gets closer to bridging the power gap to my LCES04 M600 with 160/150 lesser travel and it's heavier chassis at 56 lbs.

But it's still a 80-85% ascent boost compared to my M600. IMHO. Which works for me wanting more of a fitness emtb and solo rig in the CEF50.💪

Pinkee

Jul 5, 2023
Australia
Hi all. Finally got to building my CEF.

With the headstem bearing carriers. How hard is it typically to install these?
I cooled mine down before I put them in (old habits with interference fit bearings), but found they dropped in without much resistance, and only with my hands, no tools required.

I now have a “click” when rocking the front forks backwards and forwards, which I can only conclude that the headstem carriers weren’t a tight fit.

The forks are tight, the handlebar is locked down tight. I have no clue what else it could be.
Any ideas?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
The bearings are inserted with no pressure needed. Not loose but no press needed. Is the top bearing the right height? Is the crown race fit the bottom bearing snugly?

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
I haven't tested the M820 against the M600 or the M620 @TCFlowClyde . But one could argue that comparing a 250w nominal motor against 500w+ nominal motor is somewhat unfair.

Whilst I'll gladly say that the M820 feels and performs better than the M500, I suspect that Bafang intentionally built this motor to capitalise on aspects more associated with full-fat systems (like the motor over-run). But bringing the weight to reassemble motors like the Shimano EP801👍🏿

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I haven't tested the M820 against the M600 or the M620 @TCFlowClyde . But one could argue that comparing a 250w nominal motor against 500w+ nominal motor is somewhat unfair.

Whilst I'll gladly say that the M820 feels and performs better than the M500, I suspect that Bafang intentionally built this motor to capitalise on aspects more associated with full-fat systems (like the motor over-run). But bringing the weight to reassemble motors like the Shimano EP801👍🏿
Ah yes! The M620-fattie is a real beast at 160Nm...overrun can be a little insane but fun...controlling it takes some nerve! 💅

The M820 really has a nice feel and light overrun that just enough push through most tech ups that I do and manageable with some finesse on ones my M600 would cruise up. But I wanted some challenge left that's relatively safe.😉

The M820-hangs in boost with full powered in slightly lower power modes. Anyway closest to analog that I can probably get without suffering on long ascents...luv'n it like candy! 🍬

Neeko DeVinchi

Dec 31, 2020
UK
Has anyone experimented with either swapping out the battery mount for something else or using different hardware bolts on the CEF50?
-8783976672109063536.jpg

Ignore the shock bolts and mech hangers on the left hand side, this picture was taken for an article I'm writing. Moreso, the battery mount on the right. Is it still required with a custom battery or have others simply implemented a hack/bodge to keep the battery from rattling within the downtube?

LAnton

May 12, 2022
Russia
Has anyone experimented with either swapping out the battery mount for something else or using different hardware bolts on the CEF50? View attachment 128230
Ignore the shock bolts and mech hangers on the left hand side, this picture was taken for an article I'm writing. Moreso, the battery mount on the right. Is it still required with a custom battery or have others simply implemented a hack/bodge to keep the battery from rattling within the downtube?
You are very lucky, you have such a wonderful bar on the right. I had to make such a bar. I installed the battery without the case. I taped the bar to the battery with reinforced tape. I screwed it to the regular place and added foam between the frame and the battery. The battery holds very tightly and the bike has become 900g lighter.

WhatsApp Image 2023-10-03 at 21.21.16.jpeg

Pinkee

Jul 5, 2023
Australia
The bearings are inserted with no pressure needed. Not loose but no press needed. Is the top bearing the right height? Is the crown race fit the bottom bearing snugly?
Bearings install was ok. And the crown race is snug. It’s the carriers that hold the bearings that I expected more of a tighter fit against the carbon headstem.

Time to tear it down and have another look.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles