SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

Freda

Feb 5, 2023
Vaasa
So there seems to be quite a few already riding this frame and motor. Some have posted rides, but can you still give more info about how far the battery can get you? All ride differently but I was wondering if the 410Wh battery i enough?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
So there seems to be quite a few already riding this frame and motor. Some have posted rides, but can you still give more info about how far the battery can get you? All ride differently but I was wondering if the 410Wh battery i enough?
My wife just rode 2000ft in 20miles with 360whr with 20% remaining.

Herculesridesebikes

Jun 19, 2023
Australia
Had my first decent ride today was pretty impressed with how it rode, very composed on rough terrain and jumps well. My only issue was my speed sensor came loose at the bottom of my run, I was actually surprised how well it pedaled with no motor I only really noticed the weight on steeper climbs.

PXL_20230827_062149755.jpg

giczalec

Jan 26, 2023
EU
😱 Full carbon with rims, handlebar, saddle.
860Wh battery LG 21700-M58, 10A charging support with custom plug and BMS.
Integrated with LUPINE SL MiniMax 2400lm+ C14 with brake light.
Total weight about 18,5kg.
Extra! - For all members EMTB forums can offer special price for Lupine MiniMax / SLX / C14]
20230823_143532.jpg

20230823_143317.jpg

PSX_20230825_094212.jpg

PSX_20230825_094900.jpg

PSX_20230825_094653.jpg

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
😱 Full carbon with rims, handlebar, saddle.
860Wh battery LG 21700-M58, 10A charging support with custom plug and BMS.
Integrated with LUPINE SL MiniMax 2400lm+ C14 with brake light.
Total weight about 18,5kg.
Extra! - For all members EMTB forums can offer special price for Lupine MiniMax / SLX / C14]
View attachment 123442
View attachment 123443
View attachment 123444
View attachment 123445
View attachment 123446
The weight is very impressive with this battery and this fork!
But I don’t really understand the tires choice, I think it’s better to add few hundreds of grams and go for tougher tires (I just switched the nobby nic for something better…)
Also, impressive charging speed at 10A!
Crazy build :)
What’s the cost of this beauty?

Herculesridesebikes

Jun 19, 2023
Australia
Nice build!
What are the specs?
Fox 38 perf elite 170
Float X perf elite at 52.5 with a offset bushing in reverse so far it hasn't moved 🤞
Nukeproof horizon pro wheels mullet setup
Magura mt5s
SLX running gear
Nukeproof cockpit with carbon bars

Down the line would like to get some shorter cranks though, did get the odd pedal strike up techy stuff.

Build came in at 20.3kg

stuff

Nov 3, 2022
Spain
Fox 38 perf elite 170
Float X perf elite at 52.5 with a offset bushing in reverse so far it hasn't moved
Nukeproof horizon pro wheels mullet setup
Magura mt5s
SLX running gear
Nukeproof cockpit with carbon bars

Down the line would like to get some shorter cranks though, did get the odd pedal strike up techy stuff.

Build came in at 20.3kg

Nice!
Afaik you dont need the offset bushing unless the float X touches somewhere, but the 52.5 stroke should work without any issues

Im thinking the same on going to 155/160 cranks

Herculesridesebikes

Jun 19, 2023
Australia
Nice!
Afaik you dont need the offset bushing unless the float X touches somewhere, but the 52.5 stroke should work without any issues

Im thinking the same on going to 155/160 cranks
Yeah, it's just there to minimise the impact on the geo with the mullet setup. Potentially might trial 55 stoke if it stays solid.

Txurrispo

Aug 24, 2023
Spain
Hi all.

I buyed a Frame CF50. With motor and battery.

I also read the post, almost :)

I have some dubts.
The sensor of the speed are installed on the rear rotor? It must be 6 holes? I already have a set of wheels, but are centerlcks...

Regards.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Well crap! It finally happened to me too. The bash guard literally exploded on a wood step up. I broke it into about 6 pieces. Bummer, it was soft wood too...must be a particular angle and/or pressure point that makes it burst apart.🤯

Unfortunately,I didn't get a bash guard protector from Linda and was lazy about adapting an aftermarket down tube armor protector.

Gonna try to warranty it with Linda and SZZS. But even if she does, it's 6 weeks minimum to get my door.😝

I've looked on AliExpress with no luck. I typically order through Anna on Greenbikekit for fastest (2-3 weeks) but I doubt that they're selling separate spares for a quick replacement. I'm guessing the M820 is still too new?🤔

Anybody find a spare or adapt a bash guard somehow?
PXL_20230903_214750375.jpg

PXL_20230903_214840397.jpg

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
YA it was ridiculous to make that guard out of anything but a flexible nylon rather than something brittle. I need to remember to ask Linda also about the rubber downtube guard. i have found helicopter tape type stuff but not the more durable rubber type.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
YA it was ridiculous to make that guard out of anything but a flexible nylon rather than something brittle. I need to remember to ask Linda also about the rubber downtube guard. i have found helicopter tape type stuff but not the more durable rubber type.
Yeah, I should've bought some frame armor and just customized it to fit. Ironically, it survived worse so I thought on rocks, but I must have cleared stuff in the past hoping it was just a random defect.

At least I can still ride and just walk directly tech sections in the future.

Otherwise, having fun!🤟
PXL_20230903_221856088.jpg

temon10

Feb 8, 2022
Malang, Indonesia
Well crap! It finally happened to me too. The bash guard literally exploded on a wood step up. I broke it into about 6 pieces. Bummer, it was soft wood too...must be a particular angle and/or pressure point that makes it burst apart.🤯

Unfortunately,I didn't get a bash guard protector from Linda and was lazy about adapting an aftermarket down tube armor protector.

Gonna try to warranty it with Linda and SZZS. But even if she does, it's 6 weeks minimum to get my door.😝

I've looked on AliExpress with no luck. I typically order through Anna on Greenbikekit for fastest (2-3 weeks) but I doubt that they're selling separate spares for a quick replacement. I'm guessing the M820 is still too new?🤔

Anybody find a spare or adapt a bash guard somehow?
View attachment 124037
View attachment 124038
Bashguard for CEF50 is different from original Bafang, so i think only Linda's company have it.

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
So I just wrote to linda last week and asked her for another bash guard. I broke my second one. I told her that the existing one is too brittle and plastic is too hard, and asked her and her engineering team to consider a softer plastic that can absorb more abuse. She is passing that along. I guess they have had a fair amount of feedback on this particular issue. In the meantime, I got some gorilla tape from Home Depot and I’ve taken the pieces and taped them back together and then taped them to the frame it’s ugly as shit but it does work.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
So I just wrote to linda last week and asked her for another bash guard. I broke my second one. I told her that the existing one is too brittle and plastic is too hard, and asked her and her engineering team to consider a softer plastic that can absorb more abuse. She is passing that along. I guess they have had a fair amount of feedback on this particular issue. In the meantime, I got some gorilla tape from Home Depot and I’ve taken the pieces and taped them back together and then taped them to the frame it’s ugly as shit but it does work.
Yipes #2 gone too? 😳

Yeah, too many pieces to rebuild. If just 2 or 3 I could have used my carbon patch kit to make a Franken-guard. I might just do that for the replacement one, reinforce it new, and then hope it's good enough.

I did request a carbon upgrade. I doubt they'll make one.😝

Myalteregohamish

Jan 4, 2023
Vancouver, WA
Yea the first one was hit two or three times. Each time taking a piece off. I taped over it to give me some level of protection but the side benefit was that even if it was hit and broke again at least I wasn’t loosing pieces. Every other vendor uses a much softer plastic. I’m not sure why these guys didn’t.

To a second one was broke. Right on the front bolt tab. So the rest of it is fine but it can’t be tightened down unless it’s taped to the frame. The rest of the guard seems to be holding up ok.

I’ll get in touch with Linda today and see what the status is.

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
Yea the first one was hit two or three times. Each time taking a piece off. I taped over it to give me some level of protection but the side benefit was that even if it was hit and broke again at least I wasn’t loosing pieces. Every other vendor uses a much softer plastic. I’m not sure why these guys didn’t.

To a second one was broke. Right on the front bolt tab. So the rest of it is fine but it can’t be tightened down unless it’s taped to the frame. The rest of the guard seems to be holding up ok.

I’ll get in touch with Linda today and see what the status is.
I did request a carbon upgrade. I doubt they'll make one.😝

I thought carbon would be nice, but thinking about it, probably not a good idea. Imagine smashing carbon onto rocks yikes!

I agree, a softer plastic like nylon? would work much better. I was think to use a thermoforming plastic like Kydex?
Also, I think the current guard hangs down too low. I have to double check, but I think there's lots of room between motor and guard.

Can someone 3D print pretty please?

spokémon

Apr 4, 2023
Australia
View attachment 124186 Is this how all the CEF50 frames turn on?
No, most of us have DP C245.can displays and it turns on via the assist selector.

I have the inhouse battery. I have a separate power button on the top tube. This turns on just the battery. To turn on the motor I need to power up the display. So for me it's a 2 step process.

I suspect if using a Bafang battery, you only need to power everything on using the the display. 1 step process.

Can anyone please confirm?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles