SZZS specific CEF50-main thread (initial builds and troubleshooting related only)

92se-r

Dec 23, 2023
United states
I was just going to ask, did they mask off paint? Any critical dimension interface like brake mount, axle/hub interface, motor mounts, shock mounts should have paint masked off.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
I was just going to ask, did they mask off paint? Any critical dimension interface like brake mount, axle/hub interface, motor mounts, shock mounts should have paint masked off.
Not mine. But it just had the matte black primer (thin coat) on both damaged frame and warranty replacement.

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
Got a pic handy...forgot what it looks like.
SD20. But remember it is available with a diamond shape and also a square panel mount. You don't want the square one. It also comes in many pin configurations so get the right one for your bike.
Screenshot at 2024-02-26 10-24-06.png

calvintys

Sep 12, 2023
Malaysia
Yesterday took my chain gauge n my new GX chain with 250km has reach 0.5, so i just order YBA ebike chain to test, hopefully can last longer on my AXS cassette.

Cami

Mar 3, 2024
Canada
Hello beautiful community.

I have read mostly all the 140 pages of this thread, thanks you sooooo much for all the information

Intro:
I am looking to build my first e-mtb as I love the process of doing things by myself (bean to bar chocolate, hydroponic garden and mucu more)

I got a quote from Linda this week 2048$US shipped to Canada CEF50 - bafang 820=
I already ride a giant trance (not electric). A giant Trance e+2 advanced is currently at 4200$, same thing for the reign.

After few research, it looklike the emtb community hate DIY bikes for the poor quality of the frame the way they are made.

Question:
1) Can you tell me more about CEF50 moulding process and/or their quality? Any of you needed a warranty claim so far?
2) After trying to "replicate" most of the Trance e+2 component with a good fox Fork and rockshock suspension to get a nice build, I feel like it's really hard to be competitive with the sales going on, does it really worth it moneywise?
3) I could always build it cheap, save 1000$ and be proud of my unique build or get a peace of mind, nice warranty and service with a proven build at a similar pricing point.
4) if you'd have to do it ever at a similar price point, would you?

I know the CEF50 is more slack than a Trance e+, but think i could live with that.

Any insight, opinions, reflexion is greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the mistakes, this is not my main language :)

Can't wait to get ready for the summer

Peace!

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Survived my first real scrape today with the newer frame and up against a jagged pinch rock feature. Thought I made it clean, but I guess not. Down to the carbon...yipes!
PXL_20240304_235601867.jpg
its just paint coating fortunately!💪
PXL_20240304_235636197.jpg

Superstition Mtns in Gold Canyon, AZ, USA. Rugged but scenic and very fun singletrack, and optional techy features throughout! 🤟
PXL_20240305_024327632.jpg

Local java stout post-ride libation!👊

Last edited:

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US

I have read mostly all the 140 pages of this thread, thanks you sooooo much for all the information

Intro:
I am looking to build my first e-mtb as I love the process of doing things by myself (bean to bar chocolate, hydroponic garden and mucu more)

I got a quote from Linda this week 2048$US shipped to Canada CEF50 - bafang 820=
I already ride a giant trance (not electric). A giant Trance e+2 advanced is currently at 4200$, same thing for the reign.

After few research, it looklike the emtb community hate DIY bikes for the poor quality of the frame the way they are made.

Question:
1) Can you tell me more about CEF50 moulding process and/or their quality? Any of you needed a warranty claim so far?
2) After trying to "replicate" most of the Trance e+2 component with a good fox Fork and rockshock suspension to get a nice build, I feel like it's really hard to be competitive with the sales going on, does it really worth it moneywise?
3) I could always build it cheap, save 1000$ and be proud of my unique build or get a peace of mind, nice warranty and service with a proven build at a similar pricing point.

I know the CEF50 is more slack than a Trance e+, but think i could live with that.

Peace!
With new prices now I do not think you will save money DIY. If you have never built a bike from scratch and don't have the tools, an emtb is harder than a standard MTB to build.
The CEF50 is a slack enduro bike. You have to know what kind of bike you want and campare the geometry because you can not ride one to compare.
It takes a long time to get the bike ordered, shipped, delivered and assembled.

Last edited:

masahirov

Jan 24, 2024
tokyo japan

Intro:

Question:

Peace!
Hi Cami

The headset on my CEF50 is loose and the cup can be removed by hand. Also, there is a molding defect on the inside of the head tube, and the cup is loose, causing a constant noise.

I think that there are no problems with the construction except for the area around the head.

There was also an abnormal noise from the motor, so I checked for compensation along with the frame issue, but I haven't received any response regarding compensation for over half a month.

I think the value of this bike is that you can build a 20kg bike with a 700Wh battery and a 75Nm engine.

Also, since the frame and motor can be purchased separately, I think it will be easier to repair if it breaks.

I'm also writing with translation software, so I think the text is a bit sloppy.

Please refer to this from Japan.

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Shoot!😝 I've got some weird stalling behavior recently for my 36V motor in *boost" power mode. I thought it was just me in not easy enough gear (for higher cadence needs) in quick-burst tech climbs that I made in previous attempts, but now it stalls out.

I was thinking user error and rusty skill as I was down 6 weeks setting up the new warranty replacement frame (damaged in last May's shipping). The dilemma is it sometimes will stop in boost in mid-climb, so I'll push up the short distance to level ground change to the easiest gears than try to pedal with no motor engagement. Then, I will power mode down to "S+" first and it would crank forward as normal then quickly hit "boost" to see if it was still working. So far it has worked. Like I just reset the sensor or something. Maybe my controller is going bad?

I'm usually in easiest 50 T/46T gear with a 32 T chainring to specifically climb. I'm wondering to myself...at close to 1000 miles is it time to re-grease knowing that overheating in a smaller motor is likely, so overhaul it more frequently? Or is time for a firmware update? Or is it my controller slowly fading?

I'm pretty sure it's not me and recently it feels more frequently.

I know some similar, maybe directly related issues have been happening to least one other, possibly warranty issues if others too? I hope not of course.🤞

brbr

Dec 28, 2022
France
Shoot!😝 I've got some weird stalling behavior recently for my 36V motor in *boost" power mode. I thought it was just me in not easy enough gear (for higher cadence needs) in quick-burst tech climbs that I made in previous attempts, but now it stalls out.

I was thinking user error and rusty skill as I was down 6 weeks setting up the new warranty replacement frame (damaged in last May's shipping). The dilemma is it sometimes will stop in boost in mid-climb, so I'll push up the short distance to level ground change to the easiest gears than try to pedal with no motor engagement. Then, I will power mode down to "S+" first and it would crank forward as normal then quickly hit "boost" to see if it was still working. So far it has worked. Like I just reset the sensor or something. Maybe my controller is going bad?

I'm usually in easiest 50 T/46T gear with a 32 T chainring to specifically climb. I'm wondering to myself...at close to 1000 miles is it time to re-grease knowing that overheating in a smaller motor is likely, so overhaul it more frequently? Or is time for a firmware update? Or is it my controller slowly fading?

I'm pretty sure it's not me and recently it feels more frequently.

I know some similar, maybe directly related issues have been happening to least one other, possibly warranty issues if others too? I hope not of course.🤞
It seems to match what @patdam was mentioning?

mike_kelly

Subscriber
Aug 11, 2022
US
"Or is it my controller slowly fading"
Controller is a computer, going to work or not. Can't fade.
Over heating? Longer harder climb than previous?
Battery not able to deliver the amps?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
"Or is it my controller slowly fading"
Controller is a computer, going to work or not. Can't fade.
Over heating? Longer harder climb than previous?
Battery not able to deliver the amps?
Same short power ups that I made before recently with this motor...and in the past on analogue (when I was more fit😁).

I haven't done any extended steep climbs recently...just happening really high torque, brief-demand situations.😕 Gradual rolling climbs seems OK.👍

Overheating likely? Re-grease first, then seek warranty if symptoms don't disappear?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Kind of reminds me I should probably purchase a spare M820 36V from SZZS...just for higher maintenance situations like this. Just swap 'em out and still ride while trouble-shooting the other.😇

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Same short power ups that I made before recently with this motor...and in the past on analogue (when I was more fit😁).

I haven't done any extended steep climbs recently...just happening really high torque, brief-demand situations.😕 Gradual rolling climbs seems OK.👍

Overheating likely? Re-grease first, then seek warranty if symptoms don't disappear?
Hello. do these cuts happen at lower speeds?

TCFlowClyde

Feb 26, 2022
Mesa, AZ
Hello. do these cuts happen at lower speeds?
Yep, but most technical climbing will be under slower speeds. For instance, no problem on flats or gradual ups.

Just happens under higher torque, high cadence demands of "boost" power mode doing short, steep climbs and step-ups. 😑

ficorama

Oct 9, 2021
Croatia
Yep, but most technical climbing will be under slower speeds. For instance, no problem on flats or gradual ups.

Just happens under higher torque, high cadence demands of "boost" power mode doing short, steep climbs and step-ups. 😑
have you seen what speed it shows on the display?

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles