Levo Gen 3 Suspension and Coil shocks for Gen 3 - Fox 38 vs Zeb

Redders473

Jul 30, 2020
Leeds
I use an e storia and it's been great I'm 104kg and i run a 700ib spring. It definitely takes some tweaking but I've got it running amazing now and you aren't snapping that 24mm shaft.

RM.SGO

Apr 25, 2020
Danville, CA
Had an inaugural ride today with my Gen 3 custom build and the Push 11.6. Felt great - looking forward to really putting it to the test over the coming weeks

upperoso

Nov 5, 2022
USA
Good observations per EXT and the e-Storia @Redders473 and @Ou812 . Thanks. I do want a coil shock. Always 100+kg and shaking my head while trying to dial in suspension. The stock FOX FLOAT X Performance on the Turbo Levo Comp showed its limitations today. New to eMTB bikes, but I jumped into this knowing upgrades were inevitable.

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
So the stock Fox X2 on my Levo is already suffering from cavitation, sounded awful and erratic rebound. So that’s going off to Fox under warranty.

Decided that I’d treat it to a coil, but seems there are only a few options that are deemed suitable for the Levos due to the side stress on a coil shaft.

So yesterday I purchased the EXT Storia V3 from Chris at Mojo. They’ve made some damping changes already to suit the new leverage curve on the Gen 3 - (fromMojo: bit softer on the compression setting but more progressive (more high speed damping) on the rebound settings.)

It should be here next week, I’ll keep this thread updated with progress and Ride reports.

View attachment 61248
Try the DVO Topaz 3. It works great.

tabrat

Sep 29, 2019
Ventura CA
Must to throw in another option that works great and is super duper reliable and I have hammered this shock and I am a very big linebacker size rider. The DVO Topaz shock with a custom tune for me rocks and is holding up to everything I throw at it. Frankly after trying this rear shock I then switched to DVO Onyx SC1 and it blows other shocks away. I spent extra on the custom tune and I have not touched either of these shocks for over a year and half except of for air pressure adjustments. Chatter gone, wash boards gone, speed way up and safety increaesed. I was at very high speed exiting a trail I ride onto a fire ride and came way too fast into a corner from sun into shade and at the corner apex hit a good size 6-8” rock and I was blasted out of control my bike slid and the shocks took over and compresses and kicked me perfectly down the trail. I think the Maxxis Assegai tires were part of this save. I highly recommend DVO over these other brands. I think their technology is superior. I am 250+.

Endurok

Apr 14, 2023
France
Hi guys !
First of all sorry for my English, I'm French...!
I would just like to know what SAG (with spring shock) do you run on your Levo Gen3?
I just rode a Fast Fenix, and I'm about 27% with a 548 for my 78kg equipped. I'm hesitant to go below with a 525, although I'd be at 30% (but less sustain), and at the same time a 571 might work too because I know some guys, same weight than me, ride 600... !
Thank you in advance for your answers !

Dave_B

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Aug 29, 2020
Newquay
EXT Storia or E-Storia ?

anyone running either that can comment on how the shock rides?

TBL79

Nov 5, 2020
Finland
EXT Storia or E-Storia ?

Estoria. Hbo makes big difference on levo. Although I haven't had storia on my gen 3 levo, gen 2 levo had storia and did had bottom outs once in a while. Gen 3 and estoria with hbo,no harsh bottom outs. It stiffens quite a lot. Also adjusting clicks makes more difference with estoria. Though not so big than Öhlins coil on my deviate claymore.

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
EXT Storia or E-Storia ?

I have the Storia on my Levo with the regular cascade link, I already had the shock from another bike but if I were buying new I’d go with the E-version. It’s my favourite shock though, I have it on 2 other bikes and one replaced the Push 11-6. Comparing it to the 11-6 I feel likes it’s a better shock, the 11-6 would pack up over repeated hits and start feeling harsh. The storia tracks the ground better and takes repeated hits a lot better.

Plummet

Flash Git
Mar 16, 2023
New Zealand
I see virtually no point using a storia on an ebike. You dont need a climb switch. Having adjustable hydraulic bottom out Is way better.

metrallainc

Dec 7, 2023
Spain
I am very confused if the FOX DHX 2022 spring shock absorber could be mounted on the Levo Gen 3 (NOT THE DHX2), according to Specialized it is compatible:

But according to FOX it is somewhat contradictory, since first it mentions the DHX2 which is not compatible, but then it puts the table of the standard connecting rods

Supposedly up to 98mm of the connecting rod there should be no problem (I think the turbo levo has 100mm). I know some people who have had the DHX for a year without problems. Do you know of cases of breakage or oil loss in the 2022 version?

All this comes because I had in mind to mount the long Cascade link with the Fox The options now would be to ride a 210x55 or a fox DHX 2022 (NO-DHX2) which is a very good price for me or to throw my hat in the ring and ride the Ohlins ttx2m.2... which of course is twice the price

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
I am very confused if the FOX DHX 2022 spring shock absorber could be mounted on the Levo Gen 3 (NOT THE DHX2), according to Specialized it is compatible:

But according to FOX it is somewhat contradictory, since first it mentions the DHX2 which is not compatible, but then it puts the table of the standard connecting rods

Supposedly up to 98mm of the connecting rod there should be no problem (I think the turbo levo has 100mm). I know some people who have had the DHX for a year without problems. Do you know of cases of breakage or oil loss in the 2022 version?

All this comes because I had in mind to mount the long Cascade link with the Fox The options now would be to ride a 210x55 or a fox DHX 2022 (NO-DHX2) which is a very good price for me or to throw my hat in the ring and ride the Ohlins ttx2m.2... which of course is twice the price
The DHX will work but Fox will void the warranty if they find out it was used on a Levo. It’s not a big deal if you don’t care about losing the warranty.

jbrown15

May 27, 2020
Chilliwack, Canada
The DHX will work but Fox will void the warranty if they find out it was used on a Levo. It’s not a big deal if you don’t care about losing the warranty.
Snitches get stitches.....lol
The DHX has a 14mm shock shaft, while the DHX2 only has a 10mm shock shaft. So I think the DHX should be fine with the Levo.

Last edited:

Ou812

Jun 26, 2022
Fort William
Snitches get stickies.....lol
The DHX has a 14mm shock shaft, while the DHX2 only has a 10mm shock shaft. So I think the DHX should be fine with the Levo.
🤣😂 I agree, it’s not like they’ll ever know it was used on a Levo or a yoke style bike. I know someone with a Marzocchi bomber which is basically the same shock as the DHX, he’s had no issues with it on his Levo.

EEEliminator

Dec 22, 2023
Bay Area, CA
I just ordered a Fox Factory 36 E-Optimized 160 mm, I had read that this fork previously used the FIT4 damper. I confirmed with Fox that it has the Grip2 damper. I was tempted to go to the 38 but given the sales on the 36 I decided to jump on it. I'm about 200lbs geared up and ride aggressively have done lift service park days and don't notice any flex in the 36 Rythm. Supposedly the new e-optimized 36s have thicker wall stations and reinforced lowers, I don't really understand the point of this given they make a 38.... My 36 arrives Sunday, anyone have any negative experiences with this fork? I can return it still but I plan to get a ride in with it on Monday so would like to know before then.

On a side note I thought the Rythm 36 was pretty decent and actually felt plusher than the Lyrik on my Enduro. So I switched the 170mm Lyrik onto the Levo to give it a try, and although the Lyrik was harsher it tracked the ground way better than my 36 Rythm. It was especially noticeable when going over some high speed 20+ mph rough sections. I hadn't noticed it before but riding back to back days with different forks I noticed the 36 would hit bumps and skip over the terrain like it was getting bounced up where they Lyrik was putting the tire back down on the ground. The 36 was still very controllable but it was supprizing to feel the differnce, the Lyric does have a PUSH ACS3 and HC97. I'm hoping the Fox 36 Factory fork tracks the ground better but is more plush than my Lyrik.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles