• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
A bike dealer can not check if you’ve done anything to derestrict your ebike unless they ride it, but if it needs to go to Shimano for repairs, they will know and void the warranty on your motor.
Thats not true,my E8000 motor failed with the EO10 error, Madison the UK importer replaced it and I have been using STUunlocker since it was first released

StuE

E*POWAH Master
Patreon
Jun 4, 2018
Leeds
What did they say when you told them that you use a third party app to derestrict your motor? Or was that something you forgot to mention?
Why would you tell them? they replaced the motor without any questions, don't know what you're problem is but I can only go by my experience

estiswe

May 2, 2020
Sweden
STEPS Unlocker

Hey Vadll, I've been using STEPS Unlocker for 6 month and it works great on my focus bike. I'm about to change for a new phone and as I understand there STunlocker is your new app. In order to get it to work, do I need to buy a new license or can I somehow use the same one I have today? //Robert

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hey Vadll, I've been using STEPS Unlocker for 6 month and it works great on my focus bike. I'm about to change for a new phone and as I understand there STunlocker is your new app. In order to get it to work, do I need to buy a new license or can I somehow use the same one I have today? //Robert
You can use your Premium licence on any phone with new App

E-Tom

May 3, 2020
Germany
ST Unlocker works great, I was able to adjust the circumference on my E8000. But after restart, the Shimano display shows "Backup - yes/no". What exactly does this backup do? Can someone read it out and find out about the modification?

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification.
Do you personally have any proofs of this?

Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries.
That is, for the US market, Shimano supplies some kind of special motor and battery? Or does a Shimano launch a motor and battery on the US market that will not withstand 32km/h permitted in the US?

Last edited:

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
The new version 1.9 is available:

- added the new feature: it's possible to select "Preset" which will be automatically applied after establishing a connection with the bike. It can be canceled. Some customers wanted this feature for a case of Police control...

OldGoatMTB

E*POWAH Master
Mar 24, 2020
The new version 1.9 is available:

- added the new feature: it's possible to select "Preset" which will be automatically applied after establishing a connection with the bike. It can be canceled. Some customers wanted this feature for a case of Police control...

Hard to imagine a techy policeman demanding you connect ST Unlocker to your bike so they can check your settings. Seems more likely they would just write you a ticket for exceeding the legally-assisted speed limit.

Also, I don't see how tuning could void my warranty as long as I keep it below 300% as 70nm, as Shimano's own app allows these settings.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
This is for guys who derestricted their bikes. The meaning of this: the policeman stops you, you turn off the bike, start the App, press "Connec"t, turn on the bike and the App automatically connects and resets all settings to default without any of your participation. As result, bike is restricted again. I have no idea how it's possible in real life, but few customers asked me about such feature.

Hard to imagine a techy policeman demanding you connect ST Unlocker to your bike so they can check your settings. Seems more likely they would just write you a ticket for exceeding the legally-assisted speed limit.

Also, I don't see how tuning could void my warranty as long as I keep it below 300% as 70nm, as Shimano's own app allows these settings.

Jon24

May 10, 2020
Lancashire UK
Hi vadll brand new on hear and it seam like your the man to ask I've been reading your post on st unlocker and as other people have stated the 25km limit is a bit annoying i have reset some of the assistance levels in eco and trail threw e max but as you'll know it won't let you adjust the speed limit without the licence code and at £105 its a bit steep just wondering if you could let me know of a cheaper way of setting it to the US speed limit

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Hi vadll brand new on hear and it seam like your the man to ask I've been reading your post on st unlocker and as other people have stated the 25km limit is a bit annoying i have reset some of the assistance levels in eco and trail threw e max but as you'll know it won't let you adjust the speed limit without the licence code and at £105 its a bit steep just wondering if you could let me know of a cheaper way of setting it to the US speed limit
Licence costs 30 euro excluding VAT.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles