• Warning!!

Riding a tuned or deristricted EMTB is not a trivial offence and can have serious legal consequences. Also, many manufacturers can detect the use of a tuning device or deristricting method and may decline a repair under warranty if it was modified from the intended original specification. Deristricting EMTB's can also add increased loads for motors and batteries. Riding above the local law limit may reclassify the bike as a low-powered bike, requiring insurance, registration and a number plate.

Be aware of your local country laws. Many laws prohibit use of modified EMTB's. It is your responsibility to check local laws. Ignoring it, has potential implications to trail access, and risk of prosecution in the event of an accident.

UK Pedelec Law

Worldwide Laws

We advise members great caution. EMTB Forums accepts no liability for any content or advice given here. 

STUnlocker (ex Shimano STEPS Unlocker) Android & Windows App for derestriction/market change and etc

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
After you downgrade the firmware and adjust the speed assist/circumference you can re upload the latest firmware if you want.

After that you can't mess with the circumference or speed settings, but the settings you have put in (such as changing the country to USA so it assists up to 20mph) will be retained.

MTB_MIKE

Dec 20, 2019
Southern California, USA
After you downgrade the firmware and adjust the speed assist/circumference you can re upload the latest firmware if you want.

After that you can't mess with the circumference or speed settings, but the settings you have put in (such as changing the country to USA so it assists up to 20mph) will be retained.

Very useful information. I just want my circumference to be correct as I have mulleted my 29er. I really enjoy Profile 2 as it works really well for 95% of my rides. I think I will make profile 1 similar to 2 except the boost mode will be the full 85Nm on a day where I only have 1 hour to ride and try to get as much elevation as possible.

that means I should not upload the latest firmware correct?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lf you have to download the earlier FW in order to change the circumference and other settings, you can either leave the bike with the earlier FW installed or re upload the later FW.

l changed my circumference to the actual measured size of my wheel. This made the speedometer dead accurate and increased the actual maximum assisted speed of the bike by about 0.5 mph.
As the circumference was factory set about 5% high.

JJohansson

Apr 5, 2021
Sweden
Derestricted my Rise using guide by dev. Was fairly straight forward, downgraded purchased premium and changed only market to US.
Everything is working fine, much appreciated with the small extra boost in speed. so updated to newest firmwire again and all working. Only slightly worrying part is that 85nm is still unlocked. I guess firmware still thinks its a non RS version of the motor, which I dont want to accidentally use until proven ok for the RS version.

iXi

E*POWAH Master
Feb 17, 2019
Brisbane
I sent my motor off for evaluation and Shimano said it is OK but they have updated the firmware to 4.9. What is the process for downgrading so I can change the market area back to USA?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
Just for information

STEPS E8000
I re installed firmware 4.9 and there's no noticeable difference between 4.8 and 4.9 with regards to performance, battery life, torque etc

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
The new Windows version of STUnlocker was made to support all latest FWs. It's not require to downgrade the FW for derestriction. The new version has only features which are not available in Android/iOS App without FW downgrading.
The Premium licence is compatible with Android/iOS licence and costs the same.

1619767278073.png

Pivot

E*POWAH Master
Jun 11, 2020
New Forest, England
The new Windows version of STUnlocker was made to support all latest FWs. It's not require to downgrade the FW for derestriction. The new version has only features which are not available in Android/iOS App without FW downgrading.
The Premium licence is compatible with Android/iOS licence and costs the same.

View attachment 60146

What are the requirements?
1. Windows running laptop with Bluetooth to connect to the bike?
2. PCE Cable?

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
ls this new software compatible with E8000?

l have the license for that but it won't work with the post October 2020 4.9 update.

Would l need to re install Stunlocker and then buy a new license?
Happy to do that if required.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
This software works with Shimano PCE interface only.
Downgrade your 4.9 FW to 4.8 via Bluetooth and use the Android/iOS App for derestriction

ls this new software compatible with E8000?

l have the license for that but it won't work with the post October 2020 4.9 update.

Would l need to re install Stunlocker and then buy a new license?
Happy to do that if required.

lightning

Apr 5, 2021
UK
lt's nothing like as expensive as most of the other software you can buy.

lt costs less than U.K. £30

Tobias

May 10, 2021
Wer
Dear Vadll
given that your windows App of your software can work with all firmware versions (I have an EP8) in was wondering if there is any chance in the near future that also the iOS version will work with the new/current FW?
given I have no windows machine I would be keen in this option.
thanks T

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Ok, once again: all latest FWs doesn't support any "derestriction" features via Bluetooth.

Dear Vadll
given that your windows App of your software can work with all firmware versions (I have an EP8) in was wondering if there is any chance in the near future that also the iOS version will work with the new/current FW?
given I have no windows machine I would be keen in this option.
thanks T

Tobias

May 10, 2021
Wer
Maybe then a question to other forum members: anyone in Zurich, CH that could help me to do this using the PC / software solution?
and @Vadll: I assume this based on a design change in the shimano Software/Firmware and not an issue of finding a solution for this.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Maybe then a question to other forum members: anyone in Zurich, CH that could help me to do this using the PC / software solution?
Why not to downgrade? It takes 5 minutes and 100% safe (if you carefully read the disclaimer and understand what you doing)

and @Vadll: I assume this based on a design change in the shimano Software/Firmware and not an issue of finding a solution for this.
No. It's because the derestriction via Bluetooth is too easy for bike owners and they decided to make this process not so easy.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Can anyone tell me can I downgrade my firmware using Apple products or does it need to be windows based
You can use iFunBox for Mac to copy files on your iPhone, or any other tool which allows to copy files to a specific Apps folder on your iPhone

Mark02380

Now "Mark24" 👍
Jun 5, 2019
Southampton
You can use iFunBox for Mac to copy files on your iPhone, or any other tool which allows to copy files to a specific Apps folder on your iPhone
Thank you for the reply, think all that is beyond me not very tech savvy

if there’s anyone in the Southampton area who could help me I would really appreciate it

All sorted quite easy in the end

Last edited:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles