STUnlocker Android App for Shimano motors is available

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
These three give you an idea of how .. The last one also suggests other options like third party app stores like amazon and f-droid

General overview of what you'd do with the different android verisons.

How to Install Apps on Android without Google Play Store - Make Tech Easier

A bit more detail on how to actually do it .. ie, what file to click on and so on.

Install an Android App without the Google Play Store Using APK - DataWinners

A mix of the info in the other two links with some other into.

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-install-apks-31494/

Maybe it will become more popular if it's "UNDERGROUND" ! :)

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
These three give you an idea of how .. The last one also suggests other options like third party app stores like amazon and f-droid
Thanks. I know about this. But this will scare away many users, because during installation, Android warn the user with some messages and makes them change System Settings and etc.
I'll upload APK to www.stepsunlocker.com, if I can’t negotiate with Shimano lawyers :)

HORSPWR

E*POWAH Master
May 23, 2019
Alice Springs, Australia

General overview of what you'd do with the different android verisons.

How to Install Apps on Android without Google Play Store - Make Tech Easier

A bit more detail on how to actually do it .. ie, what file to click on and so on.

Install an Android App without the Google Play Store Using APK - DataWinners

A mix of the info in the other two links with some other into.

https://www.androidauthority.com/how-to-install-apks-31494/

Maybe it will become more popular if it's "UNDERGROUND" ! :)

IOS users will still be fucked though!

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
IOS users will still be fucked though!
True .. but if you can afford an iPhone, you can afford €50 for a cheapo crap android phone just to use on your bike and you'll have the advantage of far more accurate GPS tracking. :)

Win win !

It will be interesting to see if Shimano manage to strong arm apple or not .. Google have done many great things, but they also have probably fecked a huge number of small business ventures along the way.

aarfeldt

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
May 25, 2019
Denmark, Danstrup
This is my first app, that has been removed from GooglePlay.
I wonder if Google will remove it from my phone too....

Btw - I really like the app...very useful.
I would love to install it manually as a unsecure source.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
In this story, the bad thing is that Google f@cked all 2500+ users who paid for the base version of the App... Very stupid act. I didn’t even receive any warnings from Google - got immediately blocking.

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
I wonder if Google will remove it from my phone too....

Btw - I really like the app...very useful.
I would love to install it manually as a unsecure source.

I think mine only updated yesterday morning.

Not sure if they can do a remote uninstall. You specify if updates are allowed. I think if you have it, you have it. If they removed it, they'd presumably have to refund you too.

Peaky Rider

E*POWAH Master
Feb 9, 2019
Derbyshire Dales
Hypothetical question here, from my point of view at least.
If I loaded the IOS app onto my phone, obtained the appropriate license and used it to reset the country of origin, then, if Apple/Google withdrew the app from my phone, (if that is possible) would I be stuck with the 'updated' settings?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
Hypothetical question here, from my point of view at least.
If I loaded the IOS app onto my phone, obtained the appropriate license and used it to reset the country of origin, then, if Apple/Google withdrew the app from my phone, (if that is possible) would I be stuck with the 'updated' settings?

I don't think they can actually pull it from your phone. But if they did/could, then yes, you wouldn't be able to reset it. Though you could download some other software and do it with that.

RickBullotta

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Jun 5, 2019
USA
Realistically, it's just going to be a matter of time before Shimano locks this down tighter for all 3rd party apps. They have a vested interest (both financial and legal) in doing so. That said, since Shimano seems unwilling to add features to eTube to enable even basic tuning (such as wheel diameter), it sucks that they're closing it up so tightly. To require a trip to a dealer/shop to change wheel diameter is just asinine.

vadII

E*POWAH Master
Feb 19, 2019
Earth
Look at automobile world, for every car is it possible to find solution for reflashing (tuning) an Engine control unit or diagnosis. Automobile companies are much bigger and mighty than Shimano. And even they are not able to control their technologies from such "aftermarket" tools. Shimano sucked with their programmers and all who made software and security for them. I do not think they are able to win. They have already lost.

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Look at automobile world, for every car is it possible to find solution for reflashing (tuning) an Engine control unit or diagnosis. Automobile companies are much bigger and mighty than Shimano. And even they are not able to control their technologies from such "aftermarket" tools. Shimano sucked with their programmers and all who made software and security for them. I do not think they are able to win. They have already lost.

Good analogy. Totally agree. Just promise me you'll be nice to your customers in the future. ;-)

Cheers.

Momo

Jun 25, 2019
Romania
i have a small or big issue, can not decide yet. I upgraded the Fw on my E8000 to 4.7.1 a few days ago. Since then the stepsunlocker app and e-tube can not stay connected to the bike for more then 15-20 sec. The bluetooth disconnects.
Used to work very well on the 4.7.0 FW.
Any idea if it is FW related or ? Anyone else having this issue ?

Thank you very much

Momo

Jun 25, 2019
Romania
Some hours later and a lot of tests i concluded the problem comes from Android's september 1st security patch which somehow screwed up BT connection. From IOS it was working fine and from another android phone which has not been updated to latest security patch the same.

The solution was to enter developer options and change BT AVRCP version to 1.3, then reboot the phone and all seems to working fine again :)

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Some hours later and a lot of tests i concluded the problem comes from Android's september 1st security patch which somehow screwed up BT connection. From IOS it was working fine and from another android phone which has not been updated to latest security patch the same.

The solution was to enter developer options and change BT AVRCP version to 1.3, then reboot the phone and all seems to working fine again :)

Refreshing to see someone actually try to troubleshoot their own problem, instead of going straight to "blame it on the app" mode

raine

E*POWAH Master
May 9, 2019
SoCal, USA
Latest Instruction manual (v1.5.x) attached; note that the manual has been combined to cover iOS/iPadOS and Android versions of the app. If anyone sees a typo, let me know

EDIT: manual can be downloaded from https://www.stunlocker.com

Last edited:

RickBullotta

Jun 5, 2019
USA
Refreshing to see someone actually try to troubleshoot their own problem, instead of going straight to "blame it on the app" mode

Yup. Lately, a lot of BT issues are popping up on a bunch of apps, related to mobile OS upgrades and some of the BT vulnerabilities that have been exposed recently. Shimano's app doesn't work, for example, on iOS 13.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles