Storage of ebike in house - hidden in a cabinet?

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
I can't store my new emtb with the other bikes as it is too heavy to manoeuvre into the space, so am thinking of making some form of cabinet to place along a flat wall and hide the bike inside.

I have the wall space and the know how to build such a thing, just wondered if anybody has done it before and wouldn't mind sharing ideas.

Bike will have front wheel off and bars turned, so the overall sizing is 1000mm high, 1900mm wide and 400mm deep. This just happens to fit well with the space I am thinking of and will also serve as a TV stand.

Main problem area is the doors to get access to the bike. Building and securing a frame is relatively easy. I was thinking of a roll back door but they are coming around £550, which is a little steep.

Other options are bifold doors or 3 / 4 panels with magnets to simply pull off.

Don't want the bike to be seen and can't have it stored on the wall / ceiling etc as more common in home designs allow.

Thoughts appreciated.

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
It hasn't been a hassle for the 15 years we've had this house and bikes ;)

The storage area isn't too far from the back door and all the floors etc are tiled, so in reality it isn't a problem as bikes are washed after muddy rides.

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
It does sound like a load of hassle, hiding the bike inside a cabinet. Without seeing a layout of your house or knowing the reasons to hide it, it’s difficult to suggest ideas. Could you not hide it behind some curtains, using rectangular bay window style tracks or poles ?

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
Why hide it? Mine is in the lounge. I do live on my own though :)

I agree. I have plenty of room in my garage with my other bikes & motorbike, but my absolute pride & joy lives in my conservatory so I can keep turning my head and looking at it shining in the sunlight and put a smile on my face 😀

(I also live on my own)

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
Seems others don't share my desire for not having bikes on show :D

It will be in the dining room and in view of passers by, hence the need for an enclosure of sorts.

Plus WAF to keep the peace.

I think I'll be making an wooden box frame with black (ish) top and removable oak coloured panels for access. Will flow with the rest of the kitchen and not look out of place.

Swissrob

Sep 4, 2018
Switzerland
I can't store my new emtb with the other bikes as it is too heavy to manoeuvre into the space, so am thinking of making some form of cabinet to place along a flat wall and hide the bike inside.

I have the wall space and the know how to build such a thing, just wondered if anybody has done it before and wouldn't mind sharing ideas.

Bike will have front wheel off and bars turned, so the overall sizing is 1000mm high, 1900mm wide and 400mm deep. This just happens to fit well with the space I am thinking of and will also serve as a TV stand.

Main problem area is the doors to get access to the bike. Building and securing a frame is relatively easy. I was thinking of a roll back door but they are coming around £550, which is a little steep.

Don't want the bike to be seen and can't have it stored on the wall / ceiling etc as more common in home designs allow.

Thoughts appreciated.

Only thing I can add is if you have a narrow/high space (with a cupboard on the other side of the wall) is too store it vertically and cut a slot in the wall for tyres so the depth/protrusion into the room is at a minimum and no faffing to grab it and ride.

steve_sordy

Wedding Crasher
Nov 5, 2018
Lincolnshire, UK
How about a roller blind instead of doors?
The possibilities are endless. They can be plain, patterned, pictures, different fabrics from shiny to matt, translucent to blackout....
Also made to measure.

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
How about a roller blind instead of doors?
The possibilities are endless. They can be plain, patterned, pictures, different fabrics from shiny to matt, translucent to blackout....
Also made to measure.
Hi Steve, funnily enough I have just found side pull awnings which are essentially the same thing. Could make the frame work to overlap so the only gap as such is at the bottom.

Seems to do what is needed for a fraction of the money.

DKIEI Garden Side Awning Sunshade Screen Panel Retractable Privacy Divider Blind Wall Post Mounted for Patio Balcony Terrace Shelters Gazebos, Grey, 3X1M : Amazon.co.uk: Garden & Outdoors

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
I've just ordered one of the above side pull awnings. Plan is to make a frame with the front corner rounded so the awning will pull around it and then hook onto the wall at the back.

This allows the awning to effectively create 2 of the side panels. The back doesn't matter and the left hand side will be up against the wall corner so again doesn't matter.

All I need to do is build a relatively simple structure, fasten it to the wall at the back and then drop a suitable top on it.

Will make sure the structure is able to take the loadings and support both the weight of the top and the pull effect of the awning.

Sounds complicated but isn't really and will only cost £200 or so all in, so not unduly fussed if it only gets used for 12 months or so until we redo the whole downstairs and maybe knock things about a bit to accommodate proper bike storage.

A pic is attached of now and will post more pictures when I start the work, so everybody can see what the above means :)
The floor and wood paint is to be re-done at some point as the floor was terribly fitted many years ago ( I have removed edging strips, hence the large gap)

storage start point.jpg

Last edited:

Tubby G

❤️‍🔥 Hot Stuff ❤️‍🔥
Dec 15, 2020
North Yorkshire
I've just ordered one of the above side pull awnings. Plan is to make a frame with the front corner rounded so the awning will pull around it and then hook onto the wall at the back.

This allows the awning to effectively create 2 of the side panels. The back doesn't matter and the left hand side will be up against the wall corner so again doesn't matter.

All I need to do is build a relatively simple structure, fasten it to the wall at the back and then drop a suitable top on it.

Will make sure the structure is able to take the loadings and support both the weight of the top and the pull effect of the awning.

Sounds complicated but isn't really and will only cost £200 or so all in, so not unduly fussed if it only gets used for 12 months or so until we redo the whole downstairs and maybe knock things about a bit to accommodate proper bike storage.

A pic is attached of now and will post more pictures when I start the work, so everybody can see what the above means :)
The floor and wood paint is to be re-done at some point as the floor was terribly fitted many years ago ( I have removed edging strips, hence the large gap)

View attachment 91856

Just get rid of the dining table and turn the room into a bike workshop. Problem solved 😆👊🏼

Stihldog

Handheld Power Tool
Subscriber
Jun 10, 2020
Coquitlam, BC
How about a roller blind instead of doors?...
Also made to measure.
Yup, I did the same. Home Depot had them in different widths (72” & 96”). I didn’t need to hide the bikes but the other house-stuff is outta sight.
16E2F094-32FB-423C-B265-23AA835320A4.jpeg
There’s a rod on the right side for rolling up or down.
E9849617-0F4B-4671-BA48-90A95CAE9DFC.jpeg
Didn’t need to cover up everything and the ceiling is a little higher then 9’.
10FCCF9C-A464-4A87-8CD1-CC2B1E4251FC.jpeg
In this case I anchored to the floor/ceil joist.

CarbonMan

Apr 14, 2022
Connecticut

Thoughts appreciated.
Way too much work. Roll it next to your bed and hang riding clothes and towels on it. Nobody will see it and it's useful.

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
Way too much work. Roll it next to your bed and hang riding clothes and towels on it. Nobody will see it and it's useful.
Not quite as much trouble as man handling the thing up 3 flights of stairs and 6 corners to get the the bedroom ;)

Twonks

Apr 16, 2022
Midlands
Thought I'd update this in case anybody is interested.

Have a couple of weeks off work so set to the bike storage.
After buying the awning thing mentioned above for £65 from Amazon, I looked into a load of options for the frame.

Went from made to measure oak timber sections (£800+), to butchering a £350 unit down to making my own from dual layered 18mm MDF and laminate sheets, I ended up at a happy medium with 2 Ikea worktops and copious use of a track saw.

The only real problem was man handling the 38KG 2.4M long work tops from the car to garage and into position to be cut. Once cut down it was all relatively easy.

Here is a much shortened sequence of events.

1. Support on wall, with further support for support down to the floor as it is into am internal wall and plasterboard only.
2. Panels loosely in place to check fit.
3. Bike in to check fit before final assembly.
4. All assembled and fixed.

Still have to put a cable port in the top left (Done the the other two, this one needs the broadband cable unplugging and feeding through the wall). Also have some cable management trays coming tomorrow for a few cables that are currently behind the bike.

The cloth on the blind is a little uneven - to let it settle and then maybe tweak the mounting etc to smooth it out.

All in all though, looks good imho and serves a purpose locating the TV at the right height for being sat at the table.
Cost £200 for everything and is removable as a complete unit in 15 minutes if we need to change the floor.

IMG_4751.jpg

IMG_4754.jpg

IMG_4755.jpg

IMG_4767.jpg

chrismechmaster

Subscriber
Dec 7, 2020
Newbury
Mine are stored inside my house and as well as being chained to a ground anchor they are also chained to a radiator
Flooded house for me if anyone wants my bikes 😂 that’s a fantastic idea behind that’s tv stand

Bummers

Mar 12, 2022
UK
Thought I'd update this in case anybody is interested.

Have a couple of weeks off work so set to the bike storage.
After buying the awning thing mentioned above for £65 from Amazon, I looked into a load of options for the frame.

Went from made to measure oak timber sections (£800+), to butchering a £350 unit down to making my own from dual layered 18mm MDF and laminate sheets, I ended up at a happy medium with 2 Ikea worktops and copious use of a track saw.

The only real problem was man handling the 38KG 2.4M long work tops from the car to garage and into position to be cut. Once cut down it was all relatively easy.

Here is a much shortened sequence of events.

1. Support on wall, with further support for support down to the floor as it is into am internal wall and plasterboard only.
2. Panels loosely in place to check fit.
3. Bike in to check fit before final assembly.
4. All assembled and fixed.

Still have to put a cable port in the top left (Done the the other two, this one needs the broadband cable unplugging and feeding through the wall). Also have some cable management trays coming tomorrow for a few cables that are currently behind the bike.

The cloth on the blind is a little uneven - to let it settle and then maybe tweak the mounting etc to smooth it out.

All in all though, looks good imho and serves a purpose locating the TV at the right height for being sat at the table.
Cost £200 for everything and is removable as a complete unit in 15 minutes if we need to change the floor.

View attachment 95456

View attachment 95457

View attachment 95458

View attachment 95459
That is pretty damn sweet!

2WheelsNot4

E*POWAH Master
Oct 17, 2021
Scotland
Lives in the hallway. Rear wheel slightly impedes on the bathroom door and the front wheel slightly impedes on the kitchen door.

Nice work Twonks. You've made a mantelpiece too.. Not sure if theres a subliminal message about being on fire :LOL:

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles