Sting in the mouth

Woodyboy

Dec 10, 2020
Uk
I went for a quick ride earlier and managed to get a bee sting on the roof of my mouth. Painful beyond belief and still a bit stuck in there that I can’t get out.
has anyone had similar, if so what did you do for the pain please?

Zimmerframe

MUPPET
Subscriber
Jun 12, 2019
Brittany, France
You could try sticking an ice cube in there for relief.

Got stung by a hornet on the temple a couple of years ago, wd40 on that eased it, but I think you have to do ti straight away and probably not a good idea in the mouth !

KennyB

E*POWAH Master
Aug 25, 2019
Taunton
I think that bit still stuck in your mouth is part of the barbed sting and it won't come out by itself. If it's was me I'd get some help.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California
Mustard completely covers the hills around here. On a strenuous climb, I once inhaled a bee into my mouth. She was covered in mustard pollen. I spit her out, but still had the taste of mustard in my mouth for quite a while. Ugh. If I was stung, I think I'd eat a bunch of Benadryl.

7869hodgy

Jul 15, 2020
Reading
Ouch! Luckily I’ve not been stung but on 50% of my rides I used inhale/swallow some form of bug whilst gasping for air.

For the past 18 months I have worn a breathable “neck gaiter” when cycling. Usually have a % of silk in them.

A bit “after the horse has bolted” but….

View attachment 66012

Last edited:

Akelu

Jul 31, 2020
Australia
I saw a video on reddit only last week or so of a person having the exact same thing happen to him!
That sucks man, sorry no advice.

Woodyboy

Dec 10, 2020
Uk
My new face mask ? I’m hoping it never happens again, lots of painkillers took the edge off it in the end and just mild pain this morning.

F17B7F68-A57E-4B54-987D-FAB9CB283ED8.png

Tim1023

Aug 25, 2020
Hamburg, Germany
I went for a quick ride earlier and managed to get a bee sting on the roof of my mouth. Painful beyond belief and still a bit stuck in there that I can’t get out.

This paper won an Ig Nobel Prize a few years back: Honey bee sting pain index by body location

Michael L. Smith gave himself bee stings all over the body to see where was most painful. Remiss of him not to include the palate! Out of interest, the top scorers were:

Location Average Rating
Nostril 9
Upper lip 8.7
Penis shaft 7.3
Scrotum 7
Palm 7
Cheek 7
Armpit 7
Nipple 6.7

Note: AVERAGE RATING. He stung himself multiple times at each location. Just to make sure.

B1rdie

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Feb 14, 2019
Brazil
I got one at the tongue from a small bee and it was painfull indeed.
Also caught a big one at the hand, while motorcycling, that left a scar at my hand.

smtkelly

Feb 13, 2020
ldn
For trail snacks I prefer malteasers. Also in through the nose, out through the mouth (air not the malteasers).

Along the tow path at some points during the year we get thick fog of midges and the local park is swampy most of the year resulting in Daddy Long Leg sized Mozzers. These were a couple of quid, weigh nothing, roll up into tiny bag I keep one in my riding bag now kids like them too.

WhatsApp Image 2021-06-02 at 12.32.39.jpeg

Last edited:

Woodyboy

Dec 10, 2020
Uk
If it's any consolation, I think you're the first person ever
For trail snacks I prefer malteasers. Also in through the nose, out through the mouth.

Along to the tow path some points during the year we get thick fog of midges and the local park is swampy most of the year resulting in Daddy Long Leg sized Mozzers. These were a couple of quid, weigh nothing, roll up into tiny bag I keep one in my riding bag now kids like them too.

View attachment 66043
A great idea, there are places that I get plastered in bugs. Knowing my luck something would sneak underneath and cause chaos ?

Nicho

Captain Caption
Subscriber
Jan 4, 2020
Furness, South Cumbria.

The sting willl have a little venom sack on the end. If you try to pull it out yourself you will probably squeeze out more venom and make it worse. It will be better if you get medical assistance.

Rubbing some bicarbonate of soda (also known as baking powder) around it may help and is safe in the mouth:

Image result for bicarbonate of soda for bee stings
A paste made of baking soda and water can help neutralize bee venom to reduce pain, itching, and swelling. Apply a thick layer of baking soda paste to the affected area. Cover the paste with a bandage. Leave on for at least 15 minutes and re-apply as needed.

Obviously the bit about the bandage will not apply in this case.