Levo Gen 3 SRAM XX1 or XO1 Chain?

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
quick update,just topped 1350 miles on my tk01-rr with X01 chain and original 12 speed cassette.The chain hasn’t even reached .5 on the chain guage and there is no slipping,very impressed.

ebikeZA

Apr 2, 2018
Cape Town
Reading all this has peaked my interested and I have a few questions.

I am on my 2nd GX chain and my cassette has done 3421km (with my use) I bought the bike second hand so I don't know what the first owner did as they replaced the motor and the OD was set back to 0.

the fact that a X01 chain lasts longer and is harder wearing... would that not wear the cassette more ?

Would replacing a GX chain when it gets to .5 not get more life out of the GX cassette than replacing a X01 at .5 ?

Cassettes are way more expensive that chains and id rather replace those than a cassette.

I am sure I can get another 3000k out of my cassette by replacing chains that wear at a much faster rate than the cassette. vs a chain that lasts forever but need to replace both when its toast.

or am I missing something?

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
@ebikeZA,personally I never replace chains,I run the whole transmission to the point where I get gear slip then replace the transmission.I know people who buy a succession of cheaper chains to save their cassette.They usually spend more in the long run ,or if not more then the same as a new transmission ,the only difference is I do it all together ,they spread it out by replacing parts more often with cheaper components.
In answer to your question “does a harder chain not wear the cassette quicker ?”
No,they wear out together so they mesh better even way past the limits on the chain guage.
Hence why I dont replace chains ,just run the whole transmission out together until it jumps.
Up to you really,the only rule is clean the chain well and relube after every ride (you dont need to remove it from the bike ,I never do)Iv’e been doing it this way since 1988 when I started mountain biking seriously.
all the best

Bones

E*POWAH Master
Subscriber
Apr 3, 2020
Harrogate
My XO1 chain has done 2.5k miles on an SLX 12s cassette. Considering that I was changing the cheap chains every 300 to 500 miles I am well impressed with it.
I very rarely lube it or do a proper clean. All I do is give it a spray of gt 85 every ride whereas the cheap chains where constantly being fiddled with.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
I recently changed from the GX cassette and XX1 chain to the XX1 cassette (same XX1 chain) on my Levo SL. The shifting is quieter and easier. I have the GX/GX on my other bike, and it shifts decently but it seems that the cassette makes the biggest difference. I'm running a X01 chain on that one.

Mikerb

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
May 16, 2019
Weymouth
As far as I understand all 3 Eagle option chains are the same size and construction but the X01 and XX1 have a hardened surface coating. The XX1 chain is lighter so there must be some difference on that one.....maybe lighter hollow rollers.

For me after a few years riding 3 different EMTBs the biggest difference to chain or cassette wear is down to riding conditions, chain cleaning/lube regime.........AND learning to ride in a much higher average cadence and backing off the cranks when changing gear. For UK riders I suspect many have experienced much less wear and tear on most bike components this year with the long extended dry summer we had. I use GX chains rather than X01 which are more than twice the price!

upperoso

Nov 5, 2022
USA
%snip%
I use GX chains rather than X01 which are more than twice the price!
There are some articles online suggesting the X01 lasts more than twice as long as the GX. And, as an added bonus, the durability of the X01 means one does not have to check the chain for wear (aka stretch) as often per the consequences. Cassettes are not inexpensive! One less chain swap over the same mileage is also nice.

BruceJR

Jun 16, 2022
USA West
I run a stable of chains that are waxed and then treated with Sicla Super Secret wax lube. Depending on conditions I reapply the Super Secret after wiping the chain of the occasional wash. I don’t track the miles but usually after about 20 rides I swap in a clean waxed and Silca treated chain. Do this until all 4 chains are used up. Then thoroughly clean and retreat the batch of chains. I ride 5-6 days a week in mostly dry conditions. This results in very low wear and long life if the most expensive component on the bike the XTR cassette. Zero Friction Cycling has more information on lubes, waxes, and chain wear than you could ever want to know. XO1 chain is the longest lasting chain followed closely by XX1.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles