Levo Gen 3 SRAM XX1 or XO1 Chain?

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
Are the XX1 chains also nitride coated? It is the reason I'll go with the XX1 cassette over the X01 when I upgrade. I'll likely use the XX1 chain too.

Mcharza

E*POWAH BOSS
Aug 10, 2018
Helsinki, Finland
Here's a link to chain test Finding the best bicycle chain: What over 3,000 hours of testing revealed - CyclingTips

1652790381571.png

1652790409851.png

Bontee

Dec 6, 2020
warwickshire
Upgrading my stock chain at 500 miles on my Levo Expert. Would you run the XX1 or XO1?
I believe that X01 is a heavier duty chain ,XX1 is lighter for cross country bikes, so not as suitable for full fat e bikes,I would suggest you fit the gold version of the XO1,I have one on my TK01-RR which is not light !
So far 654 miles and no wear according to the chain guage,running the original XT 12 speed cassette.
all the best

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
I was told that the only diff in the XO1 and XX1 chains and cassettes is the coating. XX1, theoretically, should last a bit longer than X01, and both quite a bit longer than GX.

High Rock Ruti

May 13, 2019
Massachusetts
High Rock Ruti

I just bought two 12 sp chains $24 each I carry a spare in my pack I break 2 a year give or take. E bikes eat drive trains 750 to 950 miles. Has anyone tried shimano's new m4100 cassette, chain, shifter, derailleur $159 USD speaking to Shimano it's recommended for e bikes

Warm Regards Ruti

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
I believe that X01 is a heavier duty chain ,XX1 is lighter for cross country bikes, so not as suitable for full fat e bikes,I would suggest you fit the gold version of the XO1,I have one on my TK01-RR which is not light !
So far 654 miles and no wear according to the chain guage,running the original XT 12 speed cassette.
all the best
This is what I have heard as well. But checking the factory spec on a Levo S-Works I see it’s fitted with the XX1 and the Levo Pro is fitted with the XO1. I know either are huge improvement over the GX chain fitted on my Expert.

F4Flyer

Sep 30, 2020
Denver
My full-power Levo had hollow-pin all its life and has way more power than the Levo SL....zero issues. What is true is that the older 8/9 speed chains would stretch less. The new hollow pins are (even according to SRAM and Shiman) stronger than their solid pins due to the shot-peening process that tapers the ends. I have had no issues at all either bikes or regular bikes but I don't go 5 years without replacing a chain either. I replace the chain and cassette by year 3 for sure.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego
yet i have done thousands of miles with my gx chain and had 12sp eagle as soon as it came out.

if you want to save 2 grams on hollow pin chains and pay double the price it is your money.
I want hollow pin for twice the price. That's why i'm going with an XX1 chain...and because every test shows results that an XO1 or XX1 chain out performs the GX chain.

Now who knows what the “PC” stands for in some listings of the XX1 chain.

akira

Dec 9, 2021
SanDiego

27 quid and is 278g.

gold 71 quid and 276g,

the only performance gain is your wallet being depleted for every one you buy to sram you wont notice a 2g difference on a ebike.

they do look nice tho but with any chain the best way to look after it is to keep it clean as possible and lubed as the reason chains stretch is because the rollers get worn down and they sit on the bushing and the pin holds them both together.

View attachment 89148
You sure are an advocate for the inferior GX chain. Thanks for your feedback, but I’ll be going with the XO1 or XX1 chain. Every test shows the higher end chains will outlast the GX chain by about 2x.

I’m betting you will comment again trolling this thread that you don’t care about facts as shared in post #10 and how the GX chain makes you go 35mph. Do us all a favor and preach your GX chain theory somewhere else.

MrSimmo

E*POWAH Elite
Apr 24, 2020
The Trail.
Im pretty sure PC stands for Powerchain; the difference, I believe, is the Powerchain’s have chrome hardened rivet pins.

SteveRS

Jun 9, 2022
British Columbia Canada
I have approximately 800 km’s on the stock chain. Had it measured today at the LBS and it was perfect . Still looks and works like new. I think maintenance is the key to longevity. I clean the drive train completely after each ride. That includes brushing out the links as well. Not over oiling the chain is important as well. The oil needs to penetrate the rollers and pins, not sit on the surface collecting dirt to prematurely damage everything.

ebikerider

Oct 1, 2019
Australia
1800kms out of an XX1 chain and the OEM SRAM chainring on my KSL. Started making noise under power the past couple of rides so I replaced them both. X01 chain this time and a Oneup alloy chainring.

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles