SRAM GX AXS Adjustment

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
Just fitted the AXS derailleur to my new M10 Rise. Still have the original SLX cassette.

How did everyone else set the B-Screw? Did everyone use the tool SRAM supply, or some other method?

I've used the microadjustment, and I just can't get a clean engagement in all gears. There's usually a gear somewhere that has a touch of extra clicking.

Any advice for how close to set it by eye, or tips to get the perfect setting? I took a link out and that seemed enough too. Could this have an affect?

Thanks,

Will.

Jackware

Fat-tyred Freakazoid
Subscriber
Oct 30, 2018
Lancashire
Have you tried readjusting the upper and lower stops again so the DR knows it's position more accurately?

XCDC

Dec 29, 2021
Uk
I didn’t have to take a link out of mine. Used the SRAM tool and eyed it in, even indexed spot on 1st time:

Rich-EMTB-UK

E*POWAH Master
Aug 11, 2019
UK
Just fitted the AXS derailleur to my new M10 Rise. Still have the original SLX cassette.

How did everyone else set the B-Screw? Did everyone use the tool SRAM supply, or some other method?

I've used the microadjustment, and I just can't get a clean engagement in all gears. There's usually a gear somewhere that has a touch of extra clicking.

Any advice for how close to set it by eye, or tips to get the perfect setting? I took a link out and that seemed enough too. Could this have an affect?

Thanks,

Will.
The tool should line it up and indexing should just work without adjustment. The B screw can be critical to getting onto the biggest wheel though.

RustyIron

E*POWAH Elite World Champion
Subscriber
Jun 5, 2021
La Habra, California

I did the initial adjustment on the stand, just like in the instructions. Then I had my wife sit on the bike, and I readjusted the B-Screw a little further because she's not as heavy as me.

I've used the micro adjustment several times while on a ride, just to experiment and get things exactly the way I want them. "A touch of extra clicking" is a subjective observation. Keep in mind that there's nothing magic about electronic shifting. It's still just a sprocket pushing sideways on a chain to get it to fall off of a second sprocket and onto a third. Sometimes it makes some noise.

kotto25

Oct 27, 2021
New Jersey
The below video explains everything. I ended up just using a ruler. I also had my wife (plus a 40lb dumbbell) sit on the bike while adjusted it.

Mteam

E*POWAH Elite
Aug 3, 2020
gone
Not a rise, but on my wild FS with Shimano xt cassette and gx axs derailleur I just set the b tension to as allow as much chain wrap round the cassette as possible without the derailleur fouling any of the cogs.

If you can't get it shifting cleanly you may have a slightly out of true derailluer hanger .

Mikerb

May 16, 2019
Weymouth
On my 12 speed Eagle I initially adjust B stop so that there is a 3mm gap ( use a 3mm allen key) between the closest teeth of the upper jockey wheel and the largest sprocket....with the chain on the 11th sprocket.

I have found in the past however, that B stop adjustment can have an impact on indexing depending whether the chain is brand new or worn in a little. The difference being a used chain has more sideways flex that a new chain. The result being a new chain works well with the B gap opened up a little where a used chain needs that B stop to be as close as is safe. In terms of indexing the difference is most noticeable between sprockets that have the biggest jump between number of teeth.

In general having set the upper and lower stops I index using the lever adjuster to get good changes between the smallest 4 cogs up and down. Then adjust the B gap to get the cleanest drop from the biggest cog to the 3 below it ( ensuring the B gap is enough to ensure no fouling on the biggest cog of course).

salko

Aug 29, 2019
SLO

Thanks,

Will.
For such symptoms I also suspect a bit bent derailluer hanger.

soundwave

May 13, 2020
Helsinki, Finland
I just installed the AXS to my M10. Since the white b-cap tool doesn’t work with the Shimano cassette, I decided to file off some plastic from it so that it fits/works. Question to others - have you all adjusted the b-cap on the sag position, i.e. have had somebody else help you with it by sitting on the bike? How necessary is this really?

Nov 26, 2021
USA
I do all the indexing with the bike at 25-30 sag. I'll let air out of the shock and fix a ratchet strap to hold it in that position while I set the b tension. After that it only takes a few click on the micro adjust as the new chain wears into place.

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Soundwave,

Adjusting your AXS derailleur with your bike depressed to the sag percentage you are using is important to smooth shifting. You can do the B-Gap adjustment at sag without somebody sitting on the bike. Here's how I do it.

The rear shock on a Rise is 210mm x 55mm. I like to run my bike plush with 30% sag. 30% of 55mm is 16.5mm or about 5/8th of an inch. I know others that run their shock a bit firmer at 20% sag. 20% of 55mm is 11mm or about 7/16th of an inch. Let's say you run 30% sag on your bike. With the shock fully extended, measure the distance from the shock's wiper seal outwards on the shaft 16.5mm or 5/8th. Take a piece of blue painter's tape (Easy to remove) and place the tape at 16.5mm or 5/8th on the shaft. Make a note of the shock pressure your are running. After doing so, let the air out of the shock until you can easily collapse your bike's suspension until it reaches the 30% blue tape sag mark on the shaft. Adjust your B-Gap to the correct setting.

As a side note, keep an eye on the micro adjustment button feature on the AXS shifter. I've depressed the small button accidentally on several occasions and it throws the shifting out of whack. I can usually tell when this has happened because the bike won't shift down onto the smallest cassette cog. It's a quick fix, but I wish the button was better protected.

Bigkatoomer

Feb 25, 2021
Surrey, England
Hi all,

Thanks for the tips. Rod - Thorough as always.

Weirdly, I just can't get the setup right. Both limit screws are set back and not interfering. I've set the B screw at about 11mm from tip of biggest sprocket to tip of top idler unsagged, as I'd read this equates to 14mm at sag. I will check again with sag.

The bike is brand new, The AXS deraillieur is brand new and neither taken a knock by me, and looks in line by eye (in case it happened in the shop).

I can't get the microadjustments so I get a clean alignment in the large sprockets and still get a clean shift on the small sprockets. It's almost as if the shifting spacing doesn't match, but I know that can't be true.

What am I doing wrong? Is it bent somehow, or could the B screw be responsible for this issue?

Rod B.

Aug 18, 2021
USA, Orange County Ca.
Bigkatoomer,

How's it going brother? I had the exact same issue when I installed my AXS. The problem is that when the derailleur was installed and tightened, it was not rotated fully forward against the derailleur hanger. The trick is to loosen up the derailleur's mounting bolt and rotate the derailleur arm/body back and forth a few times. Make sure the derailleur is fully seated (As seen in picture) on the derailleur hanger and then retighten the bolt. You should then be able to adjust the High, Low and B-Gap correctly.

Let me know if that works for you.

Be safe,
Rod

IMG_1030.jpg

EMTB Forums

Since 2018

The World's largest electric mountain bike community.

Members
Join Our Community

Latest articles